1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

The Architect: City building game in development (Again)

Discussion in 'XLN Watering Hole' started by Monty, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Monty

Monty Governor

Enodo Games is working on The Architect Game again after putting the project on hold last year. On February The Architect Game Facebook page went active again and they have been posting screenshots of the game every week.

There isn't much information about the game yet. Unlike citybuilding games we know, The Architect is not about building a city from scratch but about transforming virtual models of real cities. The first game will be set in Paris.

What we know so far:

• The game will be set in Paris, but they would like to expand it to other real cities around the world.
    • It will use CryEngine.
    • It will include different weather conditions and day/night settings.
    • The company behind the game is a French company based in Nice called Enodo Games, a branch of Enodo. It has an impressive portfolio of works related to 3D visualization for urbanism and architecture.

To what degree we will be able to transform Paris remains a mystery. There are no details about the gameplay yet.

Some screenshots:
    12711166_1705313473086049_5222772165738310625_o.jpg
    12697502_1707886442828752_2772117107703099632_o (1).jpg 12772093_1712506602366736_3480914176275562329_o.jpg

A video presentation of Enodo Games (old):

A demo reel by Enodo (It's not about this game, it shows other works done by Enodo for non game related projects)

And finally the old teaser for the game, which doesn't really show much of it:

Here is a link to their Facebook page, they seem open to answer questions and take feedback.

The Architect

2. AntonIlic

AntonIlic Executive

It looks awesome, do you know releasing date?

3. Monty

Monty Governor

No, there is no information about that yet.

4. Dreian

Dreian Moderator
    Staff Member

Most important is that they came back active.

Which is probably the best news, cause now it means they are really intending of publishing it.

5. mrmnts

mrmnts Skilled Worker

It looks great, that quality and realism of the city is amazing. I'm just wondering how much freedom will the players have. What I was looking for was the city building equivalent to the Autodesk homestyler (http://www.homestyler.com/home). Which is what you guys (modders) are turning cites XL into. I just wish the game engine was better.

Well it's good to know that there is someone out there working on new options for city builders like us :)

6. mrmnts

mrmnts Skilled Worker

I've checked their facebook and official website and they mention it will have weather effects and all. There's something not clear for me: what platform are they going to be releasing for? PC? others like playstation?

7. royb 98

royb 98 Elite

Somewhere in the comments they said it was one of the main goals to make this game playable on low-end pc's. To me, this doesn't look like a game for playstation but it could be. They use CryEngine which can be used to make games on Playstation 3/4, Xbox 360/One and Wii U.

mrmnts likes this.
  8. Monty

Monty Governor

Official Game Trailer:

Gameplay video will be ready in a few weeks...

royb 98, Mr.X² and kipate like this.
  9. veija2

veija2 Mayor

Wow. Eerie. Want.

10. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Very nice graphics indeed. Building styles appear to be somewhat limited.
    I guess the trailer works though...it leaves me wanting to see more.
    :drool:

11. Big Meany Mean

Big Meany Mean Executive

It looks awesome, I just wonder if you'll be able to play with the whole metropolitan region of Paris or just the City

I'll be looking for London :coffee:

12. ObelicS

ObelicS Governor

I hope that Paris map will be w/o roads layout and eiffel tower. But it looks too good for micro simulation on large scale like this. Lets hope for the best .

13. Monty

Monty Governor

For those who aren't on FB, Jean-Baptiste Reynes CEO of Enodo Games just posted this note on the game's page:

A note from the CEO of EnodoGames:

"We are so thrilled with how the first video of The Architect was welcomed!

This is a very exciting step for all the team, here at EnodoGames.

A step that confirms how intrigued – to say the least – you all are about the innovations we want to bring to you.
    Sometimes, though, they also seem to worry some of you. We understand why.

I wanted to personally take a moment - between two videos (the next one should reassure you too) - to clarify a few points.

At EnodoGames, we simply adore City Builders! I played the very first SimCity on an IBM AT machine and a green monochromatic screen! It was in 1989!
    Since then, we played every version of the game (wasn’t SimCity 4 just awesome?), tried each Cities XL along with all the games based on the same concept.
    More recently, Cities Skylines brilliantly took over a license that has been offering, for the past 25 years, a solid gameplay based on now-classic mechanisms. Colossal Order did an amazing job!

But when our team met for the first time a started thinking about what we could bring to City Builders, we quickly realized that we had to offer something new. Not just for the sake of innovation but to really invite the gamers to a new approach, a new way of both thinking and building virtual cities. And this brought two fundamental ideas. We had to:
    - create a game that would start from an existing city instead of building from scratch
    - allow the players to mod buildings inside this existing city and, therefore, to give them tools that would be more precise and more accurate than the ones they are used to.
    In other words: RIP RCI! :)

We believe that by starting the game from an existing city, you will be directly confronted with a deeper (and richer) environment. This city is already alive and you will have to get acquainted with it, negotiate with it, answer its needs or jostle it to create your own city.
    It would be a mistake to think that an existing city would prevent the players from having – and implementing - their own vision for their city. Quite the contrary, we believe that what we offer will allow each and every one of you to do precisely what you want with your city!

This is why, in The Architect, the player won’t just define a “zone” for the game to fill in. You will have to define and design each of the buildings inside the city.

Of course, we chose Paris for this first edition of The Architect. And our game is not about reproducing nor rebuilding Paris over and over. It’s really about taking over the city and changing it. It is about confronting with its structure, its architecture. It’s about making your own Paris!
    Will you replace the 19th century Haussman-style buildings with glass and metal sky-scrapers? What will you do with the Louvre? Will you turn Paris into a vast park? How will you answer the issue of mobility? How will you deal with power resources? What will YOUR Paris be like?

Since you will have to imagine how the city develops, we have to give you the best tools we can produce.

This is what we are doing by allowing the players to conceive buildings and, more broadly, all the spaces of this new Paris with a level of details that was never offered before in this type of game. Design your own buildings, share them with other players, update them as you go deeper into the game and give Paris a look that is yours… while answering all the challenges of the city of tomorrow.

We have conceived two specific tools to help the players create their own vision:
    - the Drawing Board will allow the players to conceive their own buildings from ground to top floor and place them into the city;
    - the Workshop will be where players compose their teams, hire new knowledgeable experts, acquire new skills that will allow them to create buildings that keep getting more incredible and diverse.

I will go deeper into these tools in another note. Until then, please comment and post all the questions and remarks you might have. They help us improve our work and make The Architect a better game. Your game."

Jean-Baptiste Reynes
    CEO ENODOGAMES

Original post: A note from the CEO of EnodoGames: "We... - The Architect - Paris | Facebook

Big Meany Mean and mrmnts like this.
  14. Alex24

Alex24 Moderator
    Staff Member

edit: argh monty was one minute quicker :D

Monty likes this.
  15. royb 98

royb 98 Elite

Nice, a must have! ...if my computer can handle it.

16. ObelicS

ObelicS Governor

Not sure what to think about already having built city. There is no such happiness of blank map and planning how the city will look and function.

17. Abandon Ship

Abandon Ship Skilled Worker

I like the concept of a pre-built city. One will not like certain parts, but the overall concept still seems fun [at least worth a try].

[​IMG]

18. Monty

Monty Governor

Update 22/06

13503021_1767037703580292_8293995204036277090_o.jpg

ObelicS, Big Meany Mean and kipate like this.
  19. royb 98

royb 98 Elite

Wow! :D

20. royb 98

royb 98 Elite

They posted some new things a week ago, but since no-one has mentioned it here yet:

Register or to view Spoiler content!

rushbaars, skullz613 and kipate like this.