1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

The "Gonaives[戈纳伊夫]" City Building Contest

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by IcyHot, May 27, 2015.

1. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

XLN_Banner-1.png
    Gonaives-戈纳伊夫 Map, City Building Contest -- Summer 2015

City Building will take place between June - August 2015. City Builders may submit up to 10 photos by September 1, 2015, for judging. Winners will be announced September 30, 2015. Winners will be awarded special "banners" that will be displayed under their avatar on XLNation.

The Rules:
    1. Your City must be built on the Gonaives[戈纳伊夫] map
    2. Build any type of city you like.
    3. No restrictions on patches or mods
    4. Submit up to 10 Photos in an official posting by September 1, 2015, in the designated forum thread.
    The Spirit of Community

Share your work as you progress in the building period. Encourage each other. Bystanders can cheer on their favorites. Remember, this is a game and we are supposed to have FUN. This contest is not about the biggest city but the best in various categories. I am still working out if the community will vote on winners or a judging panel will be appointed.

Cities will be considered for the following Awards
    Win, Place, Show (Voted by the Community) -- Unique Medal and 15/10/5 Trophy Points

Category Winners will get a Unique Medal and 10 Trophy Points, These will be awarded by a judging panel. (Most likely I will get non City Building persons to pick winners from the submitted entries).
    • Best rural or farm region
    • Best "Green" City
    • Best "Industrial" City
    • Best RHM interchanges and highways
    • Best Parks and Plazas
    • Best realistic City
    • Best futuristic City
    • Best Vacation City
    • Best "Historical" City
    • Best "Commercial" City
    • Best Looking Skyline
    • Best Looking Harbor
    • Best Looking Airport

2. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing peoples work

3. CraCkeR JaCk

CraCkeR JaCk Elite

Sweet! been waiting for this contest for months, missed out on Bootleg river with all it's wonderful entry's I'm not missing out this time. @skullz613 looking forward seeing what you make, If you enter.

4. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Great! I've been looking forward to a new contest too. I plan to use XXL for this one.

In all fairness, however (IMO), in order to make XL and XXL completely compatable, a few mods for XXL need to be added, updated, and/or repaired.
    Esp the RHM/RHM addon & the Modular Airport Pack.

At the same time, I would like to say... Thanks for all the hard work you guys put into these great mods and maps. These games would not be the same without them.

Steven H. Endermann likes this.
  5. Steven H. Endermann

Well! I already have vacation, industrial, farm, and commercial cities in progress, so I am going for "best green city."

kipate likes this.
  6. erico96

erico96 Executive

Nice! I'm in (y)

kipate likes this.
  7. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I have ended up using CXL 2012 for this comp. I made a start in XXL but there is still a lot of mods missing that unfortunity may not become available for XXL. I use a lot from the french CXL site and some from the chinese one. They are pretty old mods and the authors most likely are not around any more to update them.
    Hopefully my city will still look good without the wicked skies of XXL.

8. veija2

veija2 Mayor

The game crashes and I get the following error message when I open the Gonaives [戈纳伊夫] map in XXL:

[18:44:25] CORE mcFile.cpp ( 198) Error can't open file live/offline/solo/SoloSaveRegion8Map76/auto/Save.Commands.xml

9. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

^ odd I just loaded the map and played it for over an hour or two no problems.

Btw guys zoom out and delete all the trees in the ocean - not sure if it helps free up gpu/cpu resources or not.

delTrees01.jpg

10. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

Maybe try deleting your map start again? looks like it may of got corrupt files or something?

11. veija2

veija2 Mayor

Thanks, Nicko. Reloading the map doesn't help. Since it looks to be a game problem then, not a problem with the map, I'll move my question over to the tech thread.

12. VintzQc

VintzQc Vagabond

I'm in too !
    I'm mapping without détails the real Gonaive city, in Haiti. Then i'll build around it....
    I'll send screenshots when phase 1 is done...

Awesome!

13. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

This was map was picked for a few reasons:

1. Lots of flat areas to build
    2. Room to create an airport, RHM, and harbor
    3. Room to create a nice waterfront
    4. Room to create just about anything :)

14. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Only thing Im missing is the odd small hill. Im using the rise tool from the dig mod to create a few hills and so far its working out well.

15. ObelicS

ObelicS Governor

Im also in !
    This time in xxl, and i should say it amazing how it looks better and run smoothly, at least for now :)

GL to you all !

16. erico96

erico96 Executive

Well, i've run into some problems...
    The city keeps crashing, and i've just placed 10 buildings

17. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

Shame maybe its an issue with your mods or whatever! I have just played another couple hours using this map on xxl - runs fine. no fuel though damm!

18. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Im using it on XL and theres fuel. Dont remember seeing an issue when I checked it in XXL though. Dont think my city got that far before I started again in XL

19. ronrn

ronrn Governor

No problems with fuel, or anything else, in XXL for me on this map.

20. ObelicS

ObelicS Governor

Idk folks, but i got problems with xxl, after building with RHM game just randomly freeze.

here are errors from global settings.
    Btw, can someone copy original global settings here. Cause i was changing something and maybe i f...ckd something up.

<Errors>
    <LUA>
    <ConsiderUnknownActionScriptFunctionAsBuildError>0</ConsiderUnknownActionScriptFunctionAsBuildError>
    <ConsiderUnknownMoviePanelAsBuildError>0</ConsiderUnknownMoviePanelAsBuildError>
    <ConsiderRuntimeErrorAsBuildError>1</ConsiderRuntimeErrorAsBuildError>
    <ConsiderCompilSyntaxErrorAsBuildError>1</ConsiderCompilSyntaxErrorAsBuildError>
    </LUA>
    </Errors>