1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

The Inlet, City Building Contest

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by IcyHot, Jan 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ronrn

ronrn Governor

While you are working/building (I like to call it creating), try lowering the settings in "Video" , and in "Advanced" settings lower the "Traffic Density", "Texture quality" as well as the "Details display distance" settings.
    Then raise the settings again for admiring your work or capturing screenshots.

XOUSTE likes this.
  2. ronrn

ronrn Governor

One other thing:), if you are using a camera mod, try switching back to the game's default camera, just until you need those better view angles.

3. RedZone19

RedZone19 Mayor

Talking about camera mod, it does not work on XXL for me, but the default camera is decent enough so I'm fine with that. Here's my progress: an aerial view and a sight I've recently discovered. :love:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Wibi

Wibi Elite

That Versailles-ish park looks interesting! Can't wait to the full display of it!

5. RedZone19

RedZone19 Mayor

I've done some researches on landscaping, to try to not fuck up the garden, still far from finish though :sneaky:

6. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

A few more shots of Fisher's Landing. Introducing Baker Agriculture College with a student enrollment approaching 2000. This Land Grant College was established in 1907. You can easily notice the test plots where various farming practices are being researched. The college recently expanded into viniculture research in the 1990's, shortly after the first vineyards began to appear in the valley. The college features a working vineyard attracting students from all parts of the United States. cxl_screenshot_fishers landing_0.jpg cxl_screenshot_fishers landing_1.jpg
    cxl_screenshot_fishers landing_2.jpg

7. XOUSTE

XOUSTE Ambasidor

so...new pic

cxl_screenshot_maldek city_54_副本从.jpg

8. kipate

kipate Governor

@XOUSTE , skip that Notre-Dame project in the background. You will not have the time to finish it, and it would look like a foreign element within the screenshots.

Also, pay attention to the distance between highways/expressways and the old town. In Europe, you do have at least a small park area between the highways and the old medieval town. For example, look at Nuremberg:
    There you have some kind of wall plus a moat that are situated between the medieval houses and the expressway:
    [​IMG]
    I hope you find a way to look at the image ;)
    Of course, you have some narrow and some wide streets within the medieval town, too. But as said, the expressways run along the borders of the old town walls, and there is some greenery plus walls between houses and expressways.

Besides that, it looks quite scenic :)

@IcyHot : wonderful countryside college!
    What about some greenhouses to test out new ways of planting?
    Buildings - Ploppable greenhouses

XOUSTE likes this.
  9. XOUSTE

XOUSTE Ambasidor

Thanks for your suggestions and they are really helpful.for now i have been working on some other places,so i didn't pay much attention on the district that i have finished (not totally). You're right about placing a park between highways and old town,its the same in China. and this is what i have been thinking about.But this city is way too large for my little poor laptop and the game crashing was really annoying. Anyway i don't have to worry about finishing projects as long as i can post at least 10 pics of this city ^^

kipate likes this.
  10. RedZone19

RedZone19 Mayor

There's a lot of content Xouste. Be careful with the tone though, a bit unnatural and way too gloomy for this shot.

XOUSTE likes this.
  11. XOUSTE

XOUSTE Ambasidor

thanks,i will try my best to improve my PS skill ^^

12. Mets

Mets Skilled Worker

I wish I had time to do more with this :(
    As it stands, the downtown is mostly done but I won't have a chance to do much else with it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mr.X², XOUSTE, Kaiman and 2 others like this.
  13. kipate

kipate Governor

Well, with some good screenshots, you will be able to cover the empty areas for sure ;)
    Awesome work with RHM as always, and I do not need to tell you that it looks ultra-realistic :)

14. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

Wow, too beautiful, America!

15. Wibi

Wibi Elite

aitortilla01 just released a new mod pack that's perfect for Istanbul/Arabianesque cities such as yours. Check it out Buildings - Arab Pack

RedZone19 likes this.
  16. kipate

kipate Governor

One hint: make sure that 1) your entries will not be overseen within the Submissions' Thread, and that 2) your images will load fast enough.

I would recommend to have two images as a header, and to put the rest into spoilers. Also, you can work with the comment tools to change e.g. the size of the name of your city within the thread.

For people who still want to use megascreenshots, :rolleyes: , I would recommend to save them as JPEG-data and use for instance JPEG Optimizer - Compress and Resize Your Digital Photos to reduce/compress the file size (resizing is not necessary). But nonetheless, you should NOT use too many megascreenshots, I would say one megascreenshot with reduced filze size at most.

RedZone19 likes this.
  17. RedZone19

RedZone19 Mayor

Thanks for the reminder, the pack's right on time for me really. :love:

18. Roif456

Roif456 Unskilled Worker

I am creating a city in The Inlet map but I don't think I can win this. Just for fun. Anyway, pictures below! It is still under construction. But i will be making a airport and large harbor when this hit 100,000.

Register or to view Spoiler content!

Wibi, kipate and XOUSTE like this.
  19. kipate

kipate Governor

Btw, nice entry @IcyHot ! I do like especially the way you placed the farms on the hill, that looks very natural (y)
    Also, your "suburbs" have been decorated with a lot of embellishment stuff to give it a more realistic look.
    I do miss some power lines, but I know very well that they are hard to place.

20. XOUSTE

XOUSTE Ambasidor

Sorry guys,In order to make it looks real, i try my best to place the buildings one by one,now with the population grows ,this game keep crashing,over and over again.its really annoying and i felt tired...badly tired...i dont wanna finish this city anymore.

cxl_screenshot_maldek city_57.jpg

Drazicdesign likes this.