1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

The Inlet, City Building Contest

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by IcyHot, Jan 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Kurtis Edwards

yXn0nli.jpg

A good amount of progress. It is hard with school, but I am pleased with my work. You like?

Pepino, Inan, XOUSTE and 4 others like this.
  2. XOUSTE

XOUSTE Ambasidor

Guess, what would my city looks like ?:rolleyes:

cxl_screenshot_maldek city_1.jpg

cxl_screenshot_maldek city_3.jpg

cxl_screenshot_maldek city_4.jpg

Wibi, Inan, kipate and 1 other person like this.
  3. kipate

kipate Governor

I thought you wanted to create a European City? Now it is becoming an American City with huge interchanges?

4. XOUSTE

XOUSTE Ambasidor

not typical european city but with a lot of european buildings,its so bore to see all the cities looks like the same.

5. Puss in boots

Puss in boots Executive

There are enough European cities with big interchanges

6. XOUSTE

XOUSTE Ambasidor

You mean here or real world...?

7. kipate

kipate Governor

In real life, @XOUSTE , in reality. But my point was that your city rather looks small, not that large,
    hence a big interchange probably was too large. Just my thoughts :)

XOUSTE likes this.
  8. XOUSTE

XOUSTE Ambasidor

thanks for your tip,this big interchange however is the one and only big interchange in my city, which is big enough to make the whole traffic system run better. Indeed maybe its kinda over ...i would try my best to cut down the size of it :)

kipate likes this.
  9. Puss in boots

Puss in boots Executive

The real world

10. Wibi

Wibi Elite

11. kipate

kipate Governor

Nice American City, @Kurtis Edwards ! And terrific planning on the public transportation system, congrats!

12. Kurtis Edwards

Hmm. Odd definition of American cities, but thanks. I do enjoy the monorail.

13. Pepino

Pepino Mayor

Hey Kurtis, I really like the approach, just suggest caution with proportions. You are obviously going for a smaller city, but it seems to me there will not be enough people to work in and/or use all the facilities - harbor, 2-terminal airport, 2 large train stations... just MHO

14. Kurtis Edwards

Hey, thanks. Yeah, I hear ya on your critique. I've been thinking bout that too. There's the lower portion, the kinda bowl shaped valley just out of view that could be more densely populated. There's a nice highway I've got going through there already.

15. Kurtis Edwards

But its a cargo train yard and then a passenger Yard. I just haven't done too much fill-in work with the industry area.

16. Pepino

Pepino Mayor

yeah, all the previews here are very nice, but almost always lack reality in proportions - huge harbors, big-ass and multiple airports, many skyscrapers... and then just a smal residential area to supply all that with workforce. For this map size, I always take mid-sized cities, such as Prague, Munich, Budapest, Vienna, Warsaw...

EDIT: I thought so, nevertheless, just a looooooooot of vacancies to be filled

EDIT 2: never mind :D

17. Kurtis Edwards

There is still a lot of work to do. I utilize open spaces a lot, just haven't made too many yet. Real cities have plenty of open spaces, to me. But... A lot of work still to do. The harbor is a compromise on not wanting huge bridges or tunnels but still have a realistic separation from inner and outer harbors. In my city the main population grew around a shallow harbor a bit away from the main shore. Well, the story in my head. Lol. But the city center, which isn't built aside from the road layout, is in the lower portion of this picture.

18. Kurtis Edwards

I'm not building over twenty stories either, so yeah, I have to watch proportion closely. I'll blend well! I hope... Lol

Pepino likes this.
  19. Pepino

Pepino Mayor

Just being a pain in your ass (no pun intended :p ), really... Love the approach and I'm sure you'll do very well! I haven't really started with mine, but, when I do, get ready to repay me ;)

20. Kurtis Edwards

Na, I love this unbiased, non judgemental type conversation. Advice and perspectives are great to me. Thanks. It's a game nonetheless, we can always end with that saying.

Pepino likes this.