1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please see the following thread for more information
    XLN's future is looking bad

The Inlet, City Building Contest

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by IcyHot, Jan 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Wibi

Wibi Elite

skullz613, The Funky Monk and kipate like this.
  2. kipate

kipate Governor

Kurtis Edwards and skullz613 like this.
  3. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Well I have pushed ahead with my little city. Have over 100,000 unhappy little minions (there's currently no jobs available for all classes) and it's starting to look good. I'll post some pic's a little later. On a different PC at the mo.

4. Kurtis Edwards

Hey, everyone

Just wanted to thank everyone who was objectively supportive. I love dialogue as I build. With so many options, its fun to try and fit in what people suggest. However, I will not be submitting my map for the competition.

The maps are coming along so great! I am excited to see @IcyHot American village interpretation. @Kaiman Thank you. Your city is looking quite awesome too. Wow! @skullz613 as is yours.. looking quite realistic.

Wibi likes this.
  5. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

Sadly my little town is lagging bad, I even run an I7 Processor and GTX 970. Those farms by Monty really tax the system it appears. I am moving forward though, just have to do it in small chunks

6. XOUSTE

XOUSTE Ambasidor

well im not sure if i can finish this city... Still got a lot of things to do(and my laptop drove me crazy,the game crash over and over again...),but i wont give up on this contest anyway...:confused:

cxl_screenshot_maldek city_38.jpg

cxl_screenshot_maldek city_37.jpg

skullz613, Wibi, Drazicdesign and 3 others like this.
  7. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Leave all the roads in place and remove the farms until the final stages. Same can work for parks. Screen shots can help you remember where to put stuff back later on.

8. Kurtis Edwards

Good advice. I throw a single tree that is not used at all in the area needing saved so I can remember. I don't typically use fall colors so I'll use a red tree a lot

9. Monty

Monty Governor

Also reducing tree detail from the graphic options can do the trick, but it does affect all the vegetation.

Kurtis Edwards likes this.
  10. Kurtis Edwards

Then u forget and are like... "Gosh, these trees look like shiz" lol doesn't mega pic up the detail to full regardless of ur settings?

Monty likes this.
  11. Monty

Monty Governor

Yeah, I think it goes full detail when you take a screenshot, and from what I've seen it actually increases the draw distance further than the higher settings in-game.

Kurtis Edwards likes this.
  12. mrmnts

mrmnts Skilled Worker

Hi there! Just to point out a small detail. I'm not sure if you've done this intentionally, but 駅 (えき) means station not district. District is 区(く) ku, as in  港区 (みなとく) Minato-ku.
    Now you tell me, "I'm a native Japanese speaker, no need to correct me on that" :ROFLMAO:

Wibi and XOUSTE like this.
  13. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

Small town feel
    cxl_screenshot_fishers landing_0.jpg

skullz613, XOUSTE, ronrn and 4 others like this.
  14. Wibi

Wibi Elite

Hey thanks! I don't speak Japanese so this is a great help. Thank alot! Feel free to correct anymore mistakes.

I hope to name more of my districts after places I went to in Japan and names of characters from the movie 'memoirs of a geisha'. Haha.

15. mrmnts

mrmnts Skilled Worker

Wow! you don't speak Japanese but can use hiragana... that is impressive

16. Wibi

Wibi Elite

Wikipedia my friend.... Haha. Also special thanks to google maps and Copy/paste xD

17. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Regarding the lag, I avoid it normally by dropping the graphic settings a bit. I have a bit of lag at the moment and it started pretty suddenly. Think I know the mod that caused it but will test before I say for sure. Will post some pics later. Spent most of the day resetting my phone and reinstalling everything.

18. Wibi

Wibi Elite

I
    I hv the exact same problem. I now play the game at its lowest settings when plopping buildings etc. Occasionally turning the highest settings to see how everything looks like or before i log out.

19. CraCkeR JaCk

CraCkeR JaCk Elite

I haven't been playing CXL lately been playing CSL, I was wondering if I made a map of the Inlet using CSL map editor would it be permitted using CSL in this contest? and if so would The funky Monk be cool with that?

20. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Here's a few pictures of what I have so far. Been hitting it hard trying to get it some what finished.
    cxl_screenshot_dreamland_82.jpg
    cxl_screenshot_dreamland_83.jpg
    cxl_screenshot_dreamland_88.jpg
    cxl_screenshot_dreamland_89.jpg
    cxl_screenshot_dreamland_90.jpg

Pepino, parisenforce, Mr.X² and 4 others like this.