1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. I will no longer be hosting XLNation as of March 1, 2017. Skullz613 will be taking the reigns of the site in early 2017 and XLNation will be moving to a new web hosting service. During that transition there will be an interruption in service of up to two weeks. Skullz613 is now a full administrator of XLNation. Be kind to him.

CJ Thresher

a little island in the sun

1. veija2

veija2 Mayor

veija2 submitted a new resource:

Thresher - saluator mare, mare reservamus

Read more about this resource...

2. Ammar Shaker

Ammar Shaker Skilled Worker

Hey, i think you are using more streets than buildings need. my opinion is to switch some into smaller roads and some walk paths, i don't know. can you show us a detailed screen shot (Shift+f11) ? perhaps some maps of your plans as well.
    cheers

3. veija2

veija2 Mayor

@Ammar Shaker - Well, actually, I plan to discuss this in a section on traffic, so I'm glad you bring it up. This map presented a unique challenge because of the shape of the island. Game algorithms for traffic assume a solid land mass. Wake Island is a "V", not a square. I spent more per capita on traffic control and ports for this city than I have ever spent on another city - and I've played cities up to 6 million. I hope you bring your thoughts up again when I post the traffic section. Thanks for your comment.

edit - perhaps I should mention how space constriction plays a part is road selection. There are just under 1 million sims comfortably situated on a land mass that I'd guess is less than 20% of most city maps. I picked this map for my city because it does have such interesting challenges.

But I love the discussion, and I really appreciate you taking the time to bring up your points. I will keep them in mind in the future.

4. Ammar Shaker

Ammar Shaker Skilled Worker

alright keep it going :) and let us see the detailed screen shot to have a deeper look.

5. veija2

veija2 Mayor

veija2 updated Thresher with a new update entry:

the Thresher Gazette

Read the rest of this update entry...

6. veija2

veija2 Mayor

the plazas of Thresher Island

7. veija2

veija2 Mayor

industrial port, mariner circle, more of Corrente and Peale

8. Steven H. Endermann

Where did you find the "Big Cat" Marina and restaurant? Was that just fancy photo-shopping?

9. veija2

veija2 Mayor

@ Steven H. Endermann
    That's the in-game coastal restaurant. My CXL is down right now (I think I've killed it transferring mods to XXL), but I'm nearly positive that it's in the American pack/buildings menu. I put two buildings side by side (one facing the other way) and redid the signs in GIMP.

upload_2015-2-18_18-34-47.png