1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Xl Viewer Problem

Discussion in 'Modding Help Quarter' started by katalambda, Nov 16, 2014.

1. katalambda

katalambda Executive

Hi guys, i don't know if this has been posted or mentioned in any other thread but does anybody know why the XL Viewer is showing bad/misplaced textures, never happened this before.

badtexturesviewer_zpsc32a4db0.png

In the 3ds max the model looks good with textures where they are supoused to be but not in the XL viewer and of course not in game.

Thanks in advance for the help :)

P.S: I have uninstalled the XL viewer and installed it again but still the same.

2. PaulJChris

PaulJChris Governor

Try selecting all faces and then use the Autosmooth function.

Make sure you have the correct shader selected in the Monto Cristo parameters

Add a bump map - sometimes this will cure this type of problem.

3. katalambda

katalambda Executive

i have all maps created: Diffuse, specular, displacement, reflection, bump, opacy. It's the shader, i applied ¨building_enhanced2_v1¨ once i deactivate it the bad textures go away but it doesn't show specular or bump or displacement maps in the viewer, that's the problem, so the ¨building_enhanced2_v1¨ it's broken or it's not working in my 3ds max.

4. pauliaxz

pauliaxz Mayor

Could you show your model how it looks in 3ds Max?

Edit:
    Yeah, as PJC mentioned, it could be smoothing problem

5. katalambda

katalambda Executive

This is my model in 3ds max

Model1_zps218f8cc8.jpg

Model2_zps466d0f5d.jpg

6. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

7. pauliaxz

pauliaxz Mayor

You could try Clear All in Smooth Groups (can be found in Editable Poly menu, after clicking on Polygon) to remove any smoothing and export to CXL Viewer to see if problem still persits

BTW can you show diffuse and specular maps?

8. Altiris

Altiris Governor

Is the normal map in the correct material slot? that custom shader sometimes does that if no normal map has been applied, you can also try using the reset normals modifier and re-apply your smoothing groups.

9. katalambda

katalambda Executive

I did all the above, did everything i could but never solved the problem, just uninstall 3ds max, the viewer and reinstalled them both and sudenly it worked again.

10. pauliaxz

pauliaxz Mayor

Nice to hear it's fixed for you. Probably some setting was messed which caused this

11. katalambda

katalambda Executive

Yup, the ¨building_Enhanceduv2_v1¨ was broken, tried to reinstall it like 3 times but the same, i don't use it anymore so my models look right now with the ¨building¨ shader.

12. katalambda

katalambda Executive

I have a problem now with transparency, guess i'm doing something wrong, i can see the transparency in the 3ds max viewport but not in the Xlviewer, i applied the furniture_transparent shader but i can only see a violet model not a transparent model in the viewer

13. katalambda

katalambda Executive