1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

XXL Realistic Highway Mod 2 2.5

XLN_XXL_RHM2_pitty_xlnation_staff-v2.5

1. barrakoda

barrakoda Unskilled Worker

I got the 2 lane stuff working for roads, bridges, and tunnels. I had to add some style tags in the community mod and that seemed to fix the foundation errors. (Rather than use any of the built-in style names, I added "StyleRHM" and "StyleRHM2" (for elevated roads)) The only outstanding problem left is the tunnel foundation. It has reverted to using the built-in one, rather than the pretty concrete one from pitty's original version. I think the new game overwrote some of the Style tags used from XL or something. Another night and I should have it all solved.

2. veija2

veija2 Mayor

You can place a building along an RHM highway, even though you can't place one along the in-game highway. It is a good way to test whether your highway connections are working. If the building you place isn't connected to city hall, like the one you show, check your road connections. Remember when you place RHM that the direction you drag the road is the direction that traffic will follow.

upload_2015-2-24_7-57-58.png

3. Costanza

Costanza Skilled Worker

You're a wizard, can't wait to get my bridges going in XXL :)

4. shaun lindgren

shaun lindgren Unskilled Worker

I wish I could get this mod stable, I absolutely love it but that "traffic null lane" crash randomly every 20min or so is horrible and makes the game unplayable.

I've lost my updates to cities twice because the game crashed before I could attempt to save. I dont understand how everyone else has gotten this mod stable without this glitch. The only way around I found was to turn the traffic to 0% but then the game gets uber boring because the city is lifeless without traffic.

This;
    [15:34:22] LIVE Live/LiveTrafic/lsnMetaBehavio ( 102) Assert lsnMetaBehaviour::s_Create : NULL lane

will be the death of me :(

5. barrakoda

Success! I have all the road and bridge pieces working normally now. I still can't get the right tunnel to display though. I think I might need a different size tag that isn't built-in for it. It still picks the train tunnel, which I guess is OK for a first go.

I have not brought in the connector pieces yet, but getting there. Those will probably be plug and chug.

I also have not done any of the localization tags other than LocaleChoice_Default yet.

6. barrakoda

So, here is a preview of the RHM. This is not an official release, but more something to solicit feedback for and eventually merge with the official release. Everything works near as I can tell, but there are some incompatibilities with the previously released version of this mod and some minor changes to the Community Mod

I did fix all of the road and bridge drawing issues though and it appears to work. I'm not sure really how to go about getting these changes into the official release of either RHM or the Community Mod just yet. I'd love it if folks unpacked the mod and took a look at the changes.
    LocaleSpecific stuff is all done too. (I wrote a program to do that)

Read the Readme.txt file.
    http://www.shadowfox.xyz/temp/Barrakoda_CXXL_RHM_Alpha_Preview.7z (7-zip file) (~46 megs)

What a learning experience.

shaun lindgren, MadTech and Costanza like this.
  7. andreharv

andreharv Vagabond

Beautiful! Installed your alpha build, fired it up, and it is working great! 1 and 2 lane bridges can be built easily with minimal errors. Only got a 'bridge too short' error but never saw any 'foundation low' or other such errors. I also love how the bridges and ground pieces have started to be separated. Also, as far as using road bridges for RHM, is it possible to allow the 2-way 2-lane highway get bridges from 15m roads and 1 lane RHM use 10m?

8. barrakoda

I don't see why not, its a matter of the class file and then tweaking the layouts. There are a lot of junctions and plugs and stuff though, it isn't easy.

9. andreharv

andreharv Vagabond

Awesomeness! How did you learn all this stuff btw? I would love to get my hands in it. I am a web developer by trade and I have built some highway interchanges for SC4 so I love to get into the guts of how this stuff works. Could you (or someone) point me in the direction of a tutorial or guide to how to modify the class file or what is involved in allowing modifying the types of bridges available to the RHM? I am really eager to learn because I love networks :).

10. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

you can learn a lot about bridges with taking a look in pjc's tutorials:
    http://xlnation.city/resources/how-to-create-a-simple-10m-bridge-in-citiesxl.203/
    http://xlnation.city/resources/how-to-create-a-complex-6piece-bridge-in-citiesxl.205/
    about roads themselves, unfortunately, there arent tutorials... you need to ask those who have experience with roads (so not me^^ but for example alex24, altiris, monty and some others)
    the update-stuff for bridges (for example road bridge to rhm-bridge) is defined in "altgroup" in the class files of bridges. the type of road used for a bridge is defined in layout entry of a class file, for example:
    Code:
        <Layouts>
            <UndefinedAdjustHeight>0</UndefinedAdjustHeight>
            <LayoutFile1>Data/Design/Layout/Road/r_street_40x10/r_street_40x10_Bridge.layout</LayoutFile1>
            <LayoutFile2>Data/Design/Layout/Road/r_street_40x10/r_street_40x10_CrossEnd.layout</LayoutFile2>
            <LayoutFile3>Data/Design/Layout/Road/r_street_40x10/r_street_40x10_CrossBegin.layout</LayoutFile3>
            <LayoutFile4>Data/Design/Layout/Road/r_street_40x10/r_street_40x10_CrossBoth.layout</LayoutFile4>
            <LayoutFile5>Data/Design/Layout/Road/r_street_40x10/r_street_40x10_Empty.layout</LayoutFile5>
        </Layouts>
    for example you could change those paths of .layout files to the ones of rhm.
    you can change that stuff always like you want for your own use. if you want to make a official release, ask the original authors of the bridge (or whatever) for permission first ;) . If the author is no longer active here, ask a moderator.

andreharv likes this.
  11. ronrn

ronrn Governor

I know you guys are hard at work on this mod, but I've just got to ask for an upgrade in road capacities.
    I'm sure there is some technical reason for it but I don't understand why the wider elevated/bridges have less capacity.
    Just this factor alone kept me from using this mod as often as I wanted to in the past with XL platinum.
    Thanks for the hard work.

wishing for:
    1 lane elevated/bridge 320 cars/minute
    2 lane elevated/bridge 320 cars/minute (currently only 40 cars/minute ?)
    3 lane elevated/bridge 320 cars/minute (currently only 60 cars/minute ?)

12. barrakoda

That's actually a limitation of the game engine unfortunately. The settings in RHM to control the traffic actually are set higher for each wider road. The four lane bridge is at 550 and the 5 lane road is set to 700

13. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

maybe its just a wrong localization file? cause i never noticed traffic jams on rhm like on avenue, so it must be higher.. gotta look this up later

14. lelenova

lelenova Vagabond

15. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

cxl platinum/2012/2011 --> uim + rhm2
    cxxl --> community-mod 2.04 + xxl-rhm2

lelenova likes this.
  16. sergio49

sergio49 Vagabond

Thank you for your work.
    do you update the "xxl_altiris_communitymod_v2.01_KodaModAlpha" to 2.04?
    Thanks!

17. barrakoda

So, I haven't heard really any feedback either way if the changes are reasonable or not. I noted Altiris, that's about all I can do. I'm assuming (have not tried yet) 2.04 fixed the primary issues I fixed, so it is probably a moot point.

18. lnomsim

lnomsim Skilled Worker

Hello,

I have a problem when building bridge/elevated highway, when touchingg the ground, it builds a tunnel piece and I can't continue building the bridge.

I read the thread to find a solution, but didn't see anyone having the same problem.

Edit: In fact I have the problem only with the bridge, elevated works fine (well, I have the low foundation problem, but I'll use the bridge height mod.)

19. sergio49

sergio49 Vagabond

This is a big problem that can unplayble CXXL.
    Any "guru" modder can solve this pproblem?

note: I have installed CXL Platinum and I have the same problem (obviously using the right mod RHM2 and IU for CXLP).

I hope that some modders might be interested in this problem. Thank You!

20. andreharv

andreharv Vagabond

I am not a "guru" modder (yet) but I can say with some confidence that this will probably not get fixed for the simple reason that it is an easy problem to avoid and work around. After bringing your bridge road to ground level, continue dragging it at ground level. In other words, instead of connecting the RHM bridge to the unelevated RHM, continue your RHM bridge at ground level (holding down shift and snapping the bridge to the ground) and use that as your ground network. The 'problem' you speak of is not new, however. The picture below shows the issue as you described it on top and the solution on the bottom. This picture was taken in CXL platinum to demonstrate that this is not new. However, the fix I described works in all versions.

cxl_screenshot_yuvlyn_0.jpg

Drazicdesign likes this.