1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please see the following thread for more information
    XLN's future is looking bad

Yes Or No About The Old Xlnation Server

Discussion in 'Website Information and News' started by IcyHot, Aug 30, 2014.

1. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

The XLNation server is hacked. I am considering putting it back up online with a different domain name like "XLNationOld.net" with no guarantees. I am gonna make one final effort on Saturday to revive it. Just to be clear, the old server and new server on NOT on the same computer. You would be using it at your own risk. So is this ethical or just let it die?

If I can get it working this would at least allow people who want to risk it, the chance to grab CJs and XLEX entries to reimport here.

Also I have ALL the patches from XLNation, we need to figure out how to get them re-posted here. All I got is long file names etc, no corresponding explanation or pictures of what the patch does.

2. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Put a page up as the index.html with a BIG warning of the risk and a link to continue.

3. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

I wouldn't put a compromised website online unless you first fix any security holes in it. your choice its your server.

Maybe you can copy the xlex entries and repost it somewhere?

4. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

Sine you have the patch files and the images and descriptions can be found via webarchive, I don't think there's any need to put it back online as far as the transfer of xlex entries is concerned.

Now if people had a CJ they really wanted to save, then perhaps that would be a reason to get the old server back online; they would have to transfer it themselves at their own risk.

5. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

cant they just grab a cj of that web archive thing?

6. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah. Maybe for people who created one recently, in the past two months as the latest webarchive thingy is in June. Although there might be other archives that have a more recent save?

7. Pamascus27

Pamascus27 Mayor

As Nicko said above, I think we can copy the CJs by using web archives sites. Good example is Wayback Machine site. Or Google's own web archive. The last archive for XLN there was just some hours ago. As for CJs, I tried Tayra and the latest archive on Google's version was just some days ago. (y)

8. Monty

Monty Governor

I think is better not to bring it up again. As Snick said, we are still able to access threads, xlex and cjs via webarchive and google cache.

9. veija2

veija2 Mayor

Nip it. I'd love to have access to my old cj's, but not at your risk.

Regarding the patches - I am willing to upload the ones I have and know, with a screen shot. Other members have way more than me. Can we recreate the index?

10. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

11. veija2

veija2 Mayor

Works for me. thx. Down with the old! In with the new.

12. M_A_K

M_A_K Guest

should we have a 'patch identification' forum?

(just a thought) :think:

PS: im absolutely LOVING this new site

nicko2u likes this.
  13. fredlangva

fredlangva Vagabond

The patches are the most important. The CJs would be nice to have but as long as there is an archive, we can get at the older stuff.

I don't think there is a way to get the old site content out of the version of drupal. I have done a bit of research on it, I guess you can export it from one version and merge to another.

I imagine the site was compromised through a root kit. The safest thing to do wold be to export the CJs to a PDF doc and then place that image in an archive on the new server.

14. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

Sounds like a good idea for those lost or questioned mod/patches - not sure about the title of the thread but yeah.

come on funky and alex you guys are the experts get us organised :)

15. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

I have all the .patches btw and they will be going up on the new box, it just make take some time

16. MayorAdamWest

MayorAdamWest Vagabond

Definitely don't launch a compromised site!

It's like saying "Shall we put our money in this Bank even though there's no lock on the front door or vault?"

It may appeal to seasoned internetting computer masters, but the masses wouldn't touch it.

17. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

No worries there, its not allowed to have an ethernet cable plugged in. If I need to get stuff from it, I use a USB drive

MayorAdamWest likes this.