1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Cities- Post Some Photos Here!

Discussion in 'City Photos' started by kipate, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

What a magnificent road network!(y)

kipate likes this.
  2. kipate

kipate Governor

Thank you! It has been quite hard to place all the different grid patterns next to each other and then connecting them without making it look too planned :D

3. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

Yes, I understand you, it is not always easy!
    In your city, I can confirm that it seems very real!
    Your network is easily assimilated to an American city network!

Keep up the work!

By the way, have you ever placed the McDonald's restaurant?:D:p

4. kipate

kipate Governor

Your city of Kent has been quite an idol for American-style CXXL cities (y) Kent and some city by streptojomeini (but the photos have gone -.-).

And so far, I have not placed the McDonald's, but I will. My idea is to place it next to a highway entrance a bit outside of downtown. Another iddea was to place the McDonald's after I released the CJ (which will take some months), and then add photos within an update :)

Drazicdesign likes this.
  5. kipate

kipate Governor

By the way, here's another view of the inner-city junction. @Project_Oz, you're right, the pillars do not always stay away from the asphalt, but they are all apart from any road area. Also, you may see from the image that it was hard to place all the brdiges within the area such that they look smooth :D
    Teaser_009.jpg

Kitsunebi and Drazicdesign like this.
  6. Project_Oz

Project_Oz Mayor

I don't know to write and express myself as well as you do and I want you to know that I don't want to offend you, on the contrary, I want to praise you. But ...

I remember many years ago when I discovered xlnation, I read all the possible posts and comments and there I discovered you. At first I found you annoying because at every post, no matter how beautiful and extraordinary the image seemed to me or it was a construction that I had tried and I knew how hard it was to make, you found somethin to blame. Like the road was not perfect or the house looks better if you build it 2 cm lower or one end of the bridge is lower than the other, or you saw that someone built differently and you thought it was better, or that there is a mod and if he used that one he could create something else, etc.

Then at some point you started posting pictures with your cities (I think you started around 12 cities:facepalm:) and most of them seemed to be made by a beginner but then I realized that it doesn't matter what and how you build, for me, your comments mattered, your opinion. Your comments helped me to see each posted image from several angles, to see an idea and immediately to think about how to perfect it and how to combine it with another mod and to create something new to find defects and to think how to solve them. In the city I am building I don't know how many areas, after a few days of building I was looking and I thought that if I post the image you will say that this thing is not good and a few times if I failed to fix the problem I deleted that area and start from the beginning. For me, you have become :)angel:) the consciousness that pushes me to build as perfectly as possible and as complex as possible to look for new ideas. And I had this opinion about you until you posted your first city jurnal. Since then, something has changed in the way you build. Your constructions were more interesting, more complex, the details getting better and better. You have become a very good (parts of:ROFLMAO:) city builder.

So I can't accept that pillar on the whole sidewalk from you. I know you will find a solution and you will fix the problem.
    And don't make me tell you about the red tree on the right and the stones on the bottom right that are still on the sidewalk.:giggle:

Kitsunebi, Drazicdesign and kipate like this.
  7. kipate

kipate Governor

Well, that's actually a fair point you have there. Don't get me wrong, I know I have been a sting in the asses of some members out here. I know how I pushed people to improve even small stuff - don't ask @Kitsunebi about all the lengthy messages I sent him, and don't ask @Inan about my reviews :D And in parts, I felt I had the right to do so - at least at the time. As you mentioned, there have been images of many different cities by myself, and as you may have recognized, I have experimented a lot. I guess I have been the first one to build an eye-candy airplane taxiway bridge over a road, for example. Not to mention all my experiments with custom-made tunnels and circles :ROFLMAO: So, I have seen almost anything one can do with the game's mechanics and the mods added.

To be fair, I always pushed myself to the limit, too. You know, when a plant that I had placed did not fit with the other plants around, I was really disappointed by myself :rolleyes: For example, I placed circular roads first and then put plants onto the circle such that they fit nicely :D

On the other hand, I have changed over time. I try to see the bigger image, and I do not care that much about small carelessness in way that I did before. It's not a laissez-faire mentality, I think I am still kind of 'pushy', but I am far away from nitpicking every little thing :LOL: If folks reinvent the wheel, the will get five stars. If other folks 'only' apply common techniques but still create something very good, they will get five stars as well.

So, if you want to take over the 'role', feel free to do so :p ;) And concerning the given situation: Well, I will see what I can do about it. On the one hand, it feels challenging, on the other hand, the pillar is still away from the road area, so it's actually nothing I really care about anymore :D

8. Project_Oz

Project_Oz Mayor

I'm sorry to hear that you don't want to be so perfectionist anymore but in the end it's a game and you play it to have fun so I promise not to bother you with the little flaws I notice.

I'm not made for that

When i put plants i always save after i put 3-4 plants. this way if i can't delete the plant i just reload.

I'm not very interested in airports so I don't remember this achievement but I know I stole your idea of a dry dock.
    As for the tunnels. I have many questions here.
    I remember that you created a tunnel under some buildings and I remember that you also explained how you did it. Do you know where you posted?
    clear.png concrete-structure-build-to-road-protection-protect-mountains-mountain-CB43H2.jpg
    What mods (for Platinum) do you recommend me to build something like this? I found some square columns but they don't look so good with them. Is there a mod with round columns? Do you think I can build a waterfall in the middle? How would you proceed?

Drazicdesign and kipate like this.
  9. kipate

kipate Governor

@Project_Oz, don't get me wrong, you have all the rights to bother me with the little flaws you notice! It may depend on my mood whether I will change something or not :D And I personally think that it is better to make a cut at certain point. It is not always helpful to be a perfectionist, and it can cost you a lot -.-

And regarding that dry dock: I took parts of the idea from CrackerJack :D Also, airports can be as fascinating as large railway networks. You just have to be even more patient, because it is harder to correct mistakes made.

Regarding the tunnels, there are several ways, and it depends on what you want to achieve, and on the game version. All my custom-made tunnels were made in 45 degrees angles (trying to not be a perfectionist), that may not be as helpful. For XXL, I have a solution at hand that would also work for round roads.

For Platinum: Just from the top of my head: Take a 10m wide road and place it how you want. Then use the option to make it a no collision road (Changes - Small Collision Box Mod ). In this case, only the center of the road has a collision part.
    Then take the 15m wide bridge of aitortilla01's bridge pack and place it above the 10m road such that the curvature aligns, and such that at one edge of the road, the pillars of the bridge are close by.
    Transportation - Aitortilla01's Bridge Pack

That would just be a first experiment. You would need to add embellishment to make the bridge parts vanish. For really round pillars, there is no XL mod that I recall so far...

Maybe we need to beg @Drazicdesign to add a mod for XL and XXL that adds a concrete 'roof' structure to make custom-made tunnels :)

Drazicdesign and Project_Oz like this.
  10. Project_Oz

Project_Oz Mayor

I want to build on the map the Grassy Cliffs and I want to come on both sides of the water with a road and a railway (there I need tunnels) and before or after the islands I want to make the entrance in the city and I want to build the road under a fortress.

11. kipate

kipate Governor

Well, a road under a whole fortress seems like a huge project, not sure if my ideas work there.

If you play with French roads, you can use e.g. DrazicDesign's mod (see Drazicdesign Project ) to place 10m and 15m wide roads without fundaments, this will help in most cases.

The idea is to first lay out the roads on the common ground (the roads on the same level as the buildings. Do it such that the tunnels will run in a 45 degrees angle. I recommend to use lex' OWP water plaza mod to ensure that the tunnel roads are placed 6 to 7m below the surface (which is still less than what you need for an in-game tunnel). Maybe test it first. You can go 7m deep by first applying the 5m plaza, put the blue dot there, then another 2m plaza.

Reserve some area such that you can easily place the beginning and the end of the tunnel roads.

Then you should place no/small collision buildings such that their collision part will not interfere with the tunnel part. You may need auxiliary roads there.

Delete all the roads that run over the planned tunnel. Place the tunnel roads, change them to roads without lights (mod by Trolca or within Drazic's new American roads), place some flat plaza, place the tunnel pieces, and then place the roads without fundaments where the surface roads have been before (the ones you deleted).

By the way, I improved "it" ;)
    gamescreen0146.jpg

Drazicdesign and Project_Oz like this.
  12. Project_Oz

Project_Oz Mayor

Thank you I saved what you wrote me. When I will start to build and I can't do it it I will contact you.
    The intersection looks much better(y).
    I don't know at what height the pedestrian part ends, but I would have done this gamescreen0146.jpg

And where do I find the building circled in red?

13. kipate

kipate Governor

Well, I could add some photos if I find the will to create some kind of tutorial :)

The buildings can be found here:
    Industry - Industrial Estate Building | XLNation - Cities XXL
    Seems to work only for XXL, though.

And this part of the intersection is thought as the end of a highway, so no paths allowed :D

14. Project_Oz

Project_Oz Mayor

Thx.

You don't need to intersect a path with the highway. In front of the pillar you put grass plaza. There you can actually use the concrete plaza. Outline a space between two 1m small pedestrian path (or another pedestrian path) that you will fill in the end with concrete plaza. If you use 1m you can fill the outside with the green plaza, inside with the square plaza after that you delete the 1m and fill the remaining place with another type of Plaza. In this way the path will look as if it had a small fence.

kipate likes this.
  15. kipate

kipate Governor

I will probably do that, but rather for the other side of the junction. Where you marked the grey paths, the terrain moves up quite steep, that's too bad for smooth ped paths :D -.-

16. kipate

kipate Governor

By the way, here the waste incinerator. No overview, don't want to spoil the port area more, although I'm inclined :D
    It shows that the new plazas by @Drazicdesign can be used for all types of areas within a city (y)
    gamescreen0149.jpg

17. Miguel

Miguel Governor

This is insane! In a good way, of course. Very creative. (y)

kipate likes this.
  18. Kitsunebi

Kitsunebi Governor

That looks really nice! (y) Those plaza can be used in many ways :love:

kipate likes this.
  19. Inan

Inan Governor

I think i already asked for this (not sure if the mod did or did not work for me), but where you have got that rails from? Is it only working for XXL? Thx

20. kipate

kipate Governor

Here is the link (works for XL):
    20.1 MB file on MEGA
    BUT
    : I once changed the collision box of the railroad (nothing else). I just looked up the files and changed it back to the original values, but please first check if the railroad crossings (Schienenübergänge) work correctly! Also, all credits to Monty and Altiris!

If the railroad does not work correctly, then maybe we ask @Drazicdesign, he should have the original file as well :)

Inan likes this.