1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Calling the Community!

Discussion in 'XLN Watering Hole' started by kipate, Nov 21, 2018.

1. kipate

kipate Governor

Hey Folks :)

Let me start this with a little anecdote:
    When I first got my hands on CXL 2009, I was fascinated by the graphics. But the vanilla game did not allow for building realistic cities, and I had not known about (the old) XL Nation so far. Some years later, I decided to buy CXL 2011 (and not the new Tropico), and at that time, I also discovered XLN for the first time, and I was stunned the masses of game changing mods that had come up already, e.g. RHM, buildings with non-standard bases, and so on... not to start with all the fantastic maps by Funky :)

At the beginning, I did not dare to enter the chat rooms, because I was shy^^ but when I entered, I had the luck to meet preyfr60, also known as The Cat :kittyroll: , and he introduced me into using mods and so on, he was really helpful. Some weeks later I published my first tutorial about the use of RHM... and in hindsight, it was totally bullshit... nothing really new, not that well explained, you name it :D

But despite this, preyfr60 encouraged to devote myself even more into the game and its mechanics. Also did others, and yes, regarding my strive for realistic cities, I guess I managed that... my laptop does not like it, but that's another story :D

Although time passed and XLN settled to another server two more times, I did not forget about the initial help by others, and I tried to help others by indicating the use of some mods or tutorials to improve their cities. And I have not stopped doing it yet, even if time had been a spare source, yeah, even if there had been 50-hours-weeks...

But I have to say that I am a bit frustrated at the moment: I know that Cities Skylines is the more attractive city management simulator, and that it can even be the more realistic game, as long as you have some really expensive hardware. But that does not mean that all of sudden, some of you have to stop participating on daily XLN community life. Like every community, we are a participatory community. We can help newbies, we can answer mod-related or city-related questions, and so on :)

And I know that some of you have to deal with real life struggles. I really hope that your situation will improve very soon. But for the rest, I would like to see some more steady participation. There are some fine members who are participating at the very moment (I sound like Trump :LOL: ), so this is not about you ;)

Yeah, sometimes it is hard to find the motivation after a long day of work. I don't want to force anything upon anyone, but I know myself that it can still be done, so no lame excuses ;)
    Think about it like this: some of you have gotten helpful feedback already by other veterans, so you know what I am talking about :)
    And if there is nothing new in the media section or in the forums threads, you can post something new yourself, you don't always have to consume ;)

Otherwise, keep up the good work^^

2. Lokentaz

Lokentaz Governor

Thanks for this, Kip! Where's The Cat now?

Come on folks! Nearly 39300 members but few participation. Don't be so shy. We don't care about your english level. Mine isn't very good but I'm here (and Kip never said me I'm ridiculous :p). And don't forget that there are the other languages forums.

Allez les gens ! Presque 30000 membres et peu de participation. Ne soyez pas timides. On se fout de votre niveau d'anglais. Le mien n'est pas très bon mais je suis présent (et Kip ne m'a jamais dit que je suis ridicule :p). Et n'oubliez pas les forums dans les autres langues.

Drazicdesign, XOUSTE and kipate like this.
  3. kipate

kipate Governor

I have no clue... he vanished like so many others... Ghulyen, snick, our old Leader IcyHot... not to mention some modders :cry:

I mean, I understand that some people only consume because CXXL may not be their preferred game to play. But especially some of the veterans could use their voice a bit more often. And I mean, we are open for any new members^^

Lokentaz likes this.
  4. CraCkeR JaCk

CraCkeR JaCk Elite

I always try to put a little "Le Cat" in all my cities cxl_screenshot_sandcastle_229.jpg cxl_screenshot_sandcastle_229.jpg

Lokentaz and kipate like this.
  5. Lokentaz

Lokentaz Governor

kipate likes this.
  6. XOUSTE

XOUSTE Ambasidor

Honestly, even now, after 800+hours of gameplay in Cities:Skylines, and it’s indeed a great city simulator game...I still believe that Cities:Skylines is missing something. I can’t feel the same feeling as CXL when I was playing CitiesSkylines. Maybe it’s because of the graphics or maybe, I can’t find a Cities:Skylines community just like XLnation/SimCityChina(used to be the biggest city simulator game community in China, lots of members no longer active now). A lot of friendly members helped me with the installation of mods and gameplay, encouraged me and they have been so supportive all the time.

kipate was the first friend here who encouraged me participating in XLN Cities contest ^^

My English is not that good, writing English and talking with foreign friends in English was a great challenge to me when I first got here, don’t laugh, I’ve been putting lot of effort on English skill. XD

Due to my major in university I don’t have much time for gemming, I would still like to go back in here and meet my old friends, maybe I’m not a good helper because of my limited language skills, but I will try my best to make some contributions for XLN.

7. kipate

kipate Governor

I encourage everyone to participate in the contests, but nice to see that my words had some effect :)

And no worries, XOUSTE, we are a city builder community, it is about the images, not just the words ;) and I think your English is fine, I can understand you well, and English is also only my second language :D

And you already helped a lot :) you created fabulous maps, you submitted superb city journals, and I noticed that you have often answered questions within the forums (y)

Drazicdesign, XOUSTE and Lokentaz like this.
  8. BahadirB

BahadirB Governor

@kipate I totally understand your concerns and I am - to a certain extent - frustrated the relative inactivity on the nation here. I furthermore agree with you with the overarching success of the Cities Skylines. On my part, I find the game amazing, but however frustrating the options given to its player, I am still on the side of Cities XXL.

Again, as a personal opinion, I do my best to devote some time to the nation, as much as I have time. But being a 33 year old academician prevents you from producing some resources for the nation. To be honest, I occassionally lose the motivaiton to play the game, but after a while it comes back.

When I found out the nation years ago, it was just a source of mods for me, but as time went by, I feel like I became a part of this online community. I am not an expert city builder nor a modder, so the resources I can contribute to the community is seriously limited. But I like spending some time here whenever I do have time during workdays. Yet, I also understand people, they have their lives, families, and other serious responsibilities.

I don't know what to do to encourage people to contribute more to the community. I am also doubtful that these kind of good-intentioned encouragements may not work for the entire community, but of course we can try our best to revive the community.

As you might see from my profile, I told that I will be publishing a journal soon, but that "soon" time never arrived so far. I mean, when I play the game, I get so preoccupied with details that I play hours and hours but little covering up the map. So, that's my problem of course, but what I mean we all need time. It's related with competitions. I would like to participate in the competitions, but they are also time-consuming events, I know we don't have to cover the entire map, but once you start you wanna make a perfect city, when you understand you cannot, that's another setback for perfection. I am not talking in terms of competition, I do not care much about whether I win a medal or something, it's a highly personal business, if you know what I mean.

So on my personal account, I can say that I am very eager to contribute to the revival of the community, but we need to come up with more solid resolutions, which I cannot name any.

- Sorry, it is kinda personal but I guess many of you will understand where I stand -

9. Lokentaz

Lokentaz Governor

I agree, competitions require a lot of time. I don't think that we have to give up complete city competitions but maybe competitions should be more targeted sometimes. Like most beautiful city park, best marina, more realistic industrial district and so on.

kipate and BahadirB like this.
  10. kipate

kipate Governor

For a start, I would say that we keep up the community life. That was why I wrote this piece ;)

Thinking about visions to revive the community, I still think about adding a CSL section. The game has become big enough and I won't perish that fast. Many of you have played it and I am pretty sure that you could add pretty nice tutorials already.

I mean, we had a CSL section, but as the game has been focused on Steam Workshop, it is hard to live next to that. Also, not sure about the possible costs of such an add-on.

Lokentaz likes this.