1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Cities XXL How Do We Move Old Cities to New Computer?

Discussion in 'Game Play Support' started by OmniusPrime, Jul 8, 2022.

1. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

I'm trying to get my old Cities from my old computer to my new one. I got the XL Nation mods moved and working and now I'm trying to get the old city saved game files moved over. I thought I found them in Users\MyUserName\AppData\Local\focus home interactive\Cities XXL\live\offline\solo. I see two city folders named like solosaveregion8map68 & the other map69. I've copied those files over to my new computer but when I go into Cities XXL I can't find them. It wants me to start all over like I've never played the game before.

I'd sure appreciate some sage advice on how to get my old Cities XXL cities working again so I can look at them to refamiliarize myself with the game mechanics and screens.

2. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

From memory you have to fully load the game then back out, copy the folders over and then start it up again. I have not played XXL for quite sometime and since installing on my new setup, still have not checked if even my old cities still work.

3. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

skullz613,
    I figured it out. I ended up going into CXXL in my old computer and I opened both of my old cities and saved them. I had to wait for the Steam Cloud save to work so I went into my new computer the next day. I then found that I was out of synch between my two computers. I synched up to the cloud to my Cloud save from the day before. Then I went into the game on my new computer and actually found both cities in the saved cities choice. I loaded each city and then saved them in my new computer. Each time it told me that there were some missing items and asked if I wanted to subscribe first before loading. I made sure not to subscribe but chose the choice to let it load at my own risk. While loading it didn't give population count like normal so I thought it wasn't going to work but it did open up each city and I was able to save each on my new computer.

I haven't played in a few years either but I wanted to make sure I could in the future. I see that DrazicDesign is still popping out some cool new mods. Also see axel popped out some new buildings too. Thanks for hosting this fine XL Nation site! I also liked your mods too!

If you haven't tried it yet I find that the new game Citystate II reminds me a lot of CXXL. Unfortunately it doesn't have mod support yet but it is the closest I've seen a city builder come to CXXL. Beautiful graphics like CXXL and now a few buildings I can actually go into a look around, like I could on a few buildings in CXXL like the shopping mall.