1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Cities- Post Some Photos Here!

Discussion in 'City Photos' started by kipate, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Project_Oz

Project_Oz Mayor

@Inan
    I found another method to build the waterfall. I hope you can understand from the picture how it is done. cxl_screenshot_test_0.jpg

That's how it turned out for me. I don't really like the color what I chose for the water. To change it I have to start over and I'm not in the mood. cxl_screenshot_inn_107 (2).jpg

2. Project_Oz

Project_Oz Mayor

You can build a golf club, a university complex, a park with waterfalls, a temple complex or what clemech4 did in the description of this mode, if it works for you.
    Ploppables - Stone block pack 1

How you built the roads made me think of the Yin and Yang sign ?!?

3. Ricardo Silva de Aquino

My city, Araguaia, a brasilian city

Attached Files:

Drazicdesign, skullz613 and kipate like this.
  4. kipate

kipate Governor

gamescreen0782.jpg gamescreen0783.jpg

A suburb I planned to show some more of the Nicaumenee metropolitan area (it's on a different map). Slow but steady progress.

And yeah, I'm also building within Nicaumenee :D

5. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

I love what I see! The network is superb, and the realization is more than perfect!(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

EDIT :
    Ah yes I almost forgot, the building in the shape of a flower is impeccable!

kipate likes this.
  6. Project_Oz

Project_Oz Mayor

Amazing what buildings are you creating and although I'm not a big fan of such big streets, I have to admit that I like what you've done

kipate likes this.
  7. kipate

kipate Governor

Well, I totally agree with you, I don't really like those big streets either, but I think the makes a perfect example of including new ideas into ongoing projects. My thought was the following:
    Nicaumee itself is vast in size, with an area of more than 250 km². Within the 1990s, urban sprawl had long outgrown the traditional inner suburbs I showed in the updates, and had already brought the next line of suburbs to their limits. Furthermore, the city officials had to realize that the typical sprawl had created an overflow of car movements, although they had still been the number one choice of commuting. Hence, when it came to setting up a new guideline for the next suburb, three points needed to be considered:
    1) access to express-mode public transportation (BRT or commuter trains), and more cycling opportunities
    2) access to highways
    3) more self-sufficiency in terms of workplace numbers, high-end entertainment and commercial stores, city offices, and the like (more of a city, less of a suburb)

Nonetheless, during that time, downtown areas in the US were declining and had to be revitalized, meaning you could not advertize a new suburb as the "better downtown". So you still needed all the sprawl elements. And this planned suburb shows what a culmination of all those points could look like. Of course, you have the suburb center with the offices, the small tech college (to be built), the stores. But, when you were an American architect at the time, you grew up in a car-centric sphere, so you plan your cities in terms of car access. And then, at the end, you try to add the rapid transit elements. So you create this public transportation hub right at the periphery of the suburb's center. And you make it car-accessible, because you think that people will also drive there by car. But of course, as it is located at the periphery of the suburb's center, you need to come up with a solution that respects the car-centricity. Hence these broad streets, the highway-like structures, and so on :D I mean, yeah, it's just my thoughts, so you can of course think of better ideas an US architect at those times could have come up with :) I just wanted to present the backstory I had in mind (y)

Thank you! It took me a bit of time to create this flower-shpaed building, and to place it into the environment :D

Drazicdesign likes this.
  8. Project_Oz

Project_Oz Mayor

I have no doubt that you are right, but I think that the game does not give you the opportunity to create what you want. I mean you can but it doesn't look good. I think that the highway and the roads you use are for high-density buildings, while you use medium and small buildings. my opinion is that you either start using dense buildings or build a custom highway with small roads to reduce their size.
    I'm more likely not going to like it, but it's your city and you have to like it.
    I will dream of those buildings you combine - they're a real art.

kipate likes this.
  9. kipate

kipate Governor

Well, you're right about the issues with the game, but I will try nonetheless and see how the results look like. Also, I don't think that there is a need to reduce the size of the complex. I compared it to some similar hubs/exchanges in suburbian Denver and Chicago, they are even wider (as the cities are bigger) :)

By the way, as said, Nicaumenee itself is still being built, here some WIP stuff I'm currently working on:
    gamescreen0793.jpg gamescreen0796.jpg

Drazicdesign and Project_Oz like this.
  10. Project_Oz

Project_Oz Mayor

I hope you succeed in what you are trying to do. Up to this point, you are surprising me more and more with the level of details and that railway bridge is a beast.

kipate likes this.
  11. Project_Oz

Project_Oz Mayor

@kipate what mods do you use for the intersection? Any tips? You posted so many pictures that I'm thinking of making some intersections myself and I was thinking of making some passages like in München.

12. kipate

kipate Governor

I'm posting no many pictures to keep this place a bit busy :D

Well, which intersection are you planning to recreate?

13. Project_Oz

Project_Oz Mayor

I don't want to recreate exactly a specific street. I drove there and it seemed interesting to travel so many kilometers underground and pop up in different location and lately I keep thinking about the intersections you posted and I want to build an underground highway/custom street under downtown and build 2-3 exits on the surface. That's why I was curious what mods you use and what do you think is the most difficult and important when building the intersection?

14. kipate

kipate Governor

Ah, now I see :)

For the Sherman Park Tunnel, I mostly used mods that only work in XXL. But I think that you can use e.g. the tunnel from the convention center mod by aitortilla (y)

The problem is that these Mods need a 45 degree angle. But for starters, it seems like a good approach. You would also need some kind of flat platform or building that you could place atop the tunnel. Here I'm not sure about the mods in XL. Also, if you want to place streets atop the tunnel, you would need a modification by DrazicDesign (thanks to Drazic :)).

I remember that I once built an underground segment in XL that also contained an exit in the middle of the tunnel. I used that tunnel by Monty, and also the convention center tunnel. From my point of view, it's important to plan ahead. Once you are finished with the tunnel, it's too much effort to place any changes. So you should know how many lanes you need.

If you want to place roads without foundation atop the tunnel, you will need to start with building the grid above. Then you delete everything on ground level that is part of the area where the tunnel should be placed, but you make sure that you can insert new roads easily (connect roads without foundation to existing endpoints).

You then have to figure out how to place the exit. From my view, the easiest approach would be to put exits in 90 degree angles to each direction. It may look a bit dull, though. And you will have to check how to place a combination of tunnels such that the area is covered correctly. Right now, I do not fully remember how I did seven years ago :D

Project_Oz likes this.
  15. kipate

kipate Governor

So I reworked the plaza in front of the Nicaumenee Temporary Art Museum. Not sure actually whether the square does not cover too much space and whether the view from the museum is not ruined now :D
    Teaser_301.png

Drazicdesign likes this.
  16. Project_Oz

Project_Oz Mayor

No the plaza really looks very good. But I still think that you should replace the park with buildings to make the area denser.

kipate likes this.
  17. kipate

kipate Governor

Hmmh, yeah, I could imagine to add some residentials and some no–collision stuff to make it look more like an artificial terrace. But it would also heavily reduce the available area for leisure. Let‘s see what I can do :)

Project_Oz likes this.
  18. kipate

kipate Governor

So I switched to some rather custom-made stuff: A modernistic Museum of Asian Arts:
    Teaser_309.jpg
    Here a full view:
    Teaser_303.png

Drazicdesign likes this.
  19. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

Nice,(y)
    Now you need to find a solution to make pedestrians cross, at the level of the expressway, without danger!:D

kipate likes this.
  20. Project_Oz

Project_Oz Mayor

I liked the plaza more ....but I would have destroyed the small road in front of the museum, I would have made the access to the museum only through the left side where you have the parking space, I would have put the avenue underground and i would built some kind of park between the museum and the plaza.