1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

"3d Trial Mods"

Discussion in 'Modding Help Quarter' started by Merrilkl Maddox, May 1, 2015.

1. Merrilkl Maddox

Merrilkl Maddox Executive

2. Merrilkl Maddox

Just for the sake of blender, I posted this once somewhere else, but this model was done in blender, using the Cycles render engine. It looks a bit fuzzy since I had to go, and did not let it finish rendering. The Porsche 911
    car 2000.jpg

Under construction
    car 75.png tires .png Painted 60.png

OK, Back to the tutorials. :)

Pamascus27 likes this.
  3. Merrilkl Maddox

Well it's official. Section 2 is complete, as you can see in the model below.
    Now it's on to do section 3 of the tutorial.

Tutorial_2_06.jpg

4. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

looking good and nice Porsche!

5. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

hi, nice work so far (y)

about texturing.. i wanted to create a 6th part of the tutorial but stopped working on it (you can see the unfinished one in my project thread). i also wanted to explain how to texture complex faces in an easy way... maybe ill finish this someday.. dont know yet.

about flipping a texture in max: do not do this!! yes, everything looks fine in 3dsmax etc. but cxl is "crap" and inverts the normal map as well, so your model wont look good in game later! there is no way to fix it, expect using a 100% flat normal map...
    a good way to make textures match 100% is mirroring them in photoshop (or similar) to both sides; but this will take diffuse-map space...

6. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

I just rotate and mirrow the texture in the Edit UVW's window. Seems to work for me. And = less photo shopping texture area.

but yet flipping a face might cause problems, you usually only have to do that if you have inverted faces. or you want to duplicate a face/move it

7. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

o_Oo_Oo_O
    tell me your dirty little secret! :D
    mirroring and flipping always causes trouble with normal map for me (and some others as well)...

8. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

hehe no secret, thought i was doing the same as everyone else.
    You do mirrow or rotate in the edit uvw's window yeah? like I said just don't flip textures unless they need it.(otherwise the face is facing the wrong way) and won't render.

9. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

yeah thats what i did. and it always turned out in a mirrored normal map
    (you can see an example by pauliaxz here http://xlnation.city/threads/pauliaxzs-projects.1164/page-6#post-12337 )

10. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

not sure maybe its the way you do your normal map (bump map) that is the issue. I have always use the photoshop nvidia plugin to render bump maps. and as I said dont flip unless you have to.

11. Merrilkl Maddox

Wow, I never notice that, but then I never used my models in CXL either. I can truly see the damage it could create with the normal map., I didn't even think about that.

When simply rendering an image, it never seamed to matter, in 3ds Max, Blender, or Maya, since you where not actually inverting the mesh itself, only the image texture. And I thought that had the same effect as flipping an image in any photo editing software. However, I know it has no effect on the mesh faces themselves.

Speaking of textures, Mr.X², when you added the platform roof, and glass, you had to use an "Opacity Map", _op.
    Please correct me if I am wrong. This map is created and added to the textures in 3ds max in the same manner as the _bp, _sp, _dif, etc. and then added to your mesh, right?

I am going to try and make a little tutorial on creating these texture maps in Gimp. I have done a lot of work with gimp, A Diffused map, Spec, Map, Bump Map, etc. are all the same. regardless if you use them in gaming or simple 3D modeling. and find working with layers in Gimp to be very easy. I've never made a tutorial before, but it can't hurt to try, and it may even be helpful. :)

12. Merrilkl Maddox

Well, I am fallowing Mr.X² to the letter, including modeling his exact same building. And I sure ain't going all back throught there and flipping the textures back. :LOL: But then, I will be using Gimp to create the normal map, so this may help, not sure, and won't be until I get it loaded into the game. At least now I know what to be looking for if it fails, and what not to do the next time.

That's what learning is all about. Hit and Miss. But it feels so good when you finally get it right!! :LOL:

13. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

yes thats correct.
    but for "transparency" effect you gotta create a sepperate furniture object and use "transparent furniture shader". this only works in cxl platinum and 2012+2011, not xxl.
    normal shaders (and xxl) only allow 0% or 100% transparency...
    there is a thread somewhere here in the forums about that (i guess^^)

14. Merrilkl Maddox

Well, I am fallowing to the letter, but I thinks I am spinning my wheels.

I upgrade my software as often as possible to keep up with the current graphic designers out there, and since I also create websites, green screen backgrounds, and virtual studios, my tools must be kept up to date.

I have tried loading the fallowing;
    Cities XL Layout File Creator in 3ds Max 2014, or 2015 This caused error: MAX Script Auto-load Script Error - c:\Program Files\Autodesk\3dsMax in both platforms.
    Cities XL Artist Tool Suite in 3ds Max 2014, or 2015
    This caused error: 3dsmax.exe - Entry Point Not Found.

I can use gimp to create normal maps, but there is no way I am going to be able to create furniture in 2014 or 2015.
    And now I am not sure if this tutorial is going to work, since it is completely based on plug-ins for 3ds max 2012 and Photoshop versions from before 2008. I was reading some notes on one tool, and it was explaining how to install it into Windows XP. And that platform isn't even supported anymore.

As most everyone else, I use a student version of 3ds Max, and there is no way to get 2012 without taking a risk of corrupting my system with a pirated version of 2012. And without this, I am not sure if I can use any type of opacity in the models. This means I would not be able to create anything that required a flat image plain to cut down poly counts, such as signs, poles, trees, etc.

I am going to look into the tools for XXL to see if any of these tutorials are compatible to them.
    I have been modeling for years and have no trouble creating the models in Blender, 3ds Max, or Sketchup. In fact, I started modeling in "Caligari 3d truespace" and "Daz3D, years ago. SO , the modeling is not my problem, I simply need to be able to get it into CXL, and make it where others can safely use them as well.

Mr.X²
    Your tutorials are fantastic and very well planned out, and I am very grateful for your efforts. However, it makes it extremely hard to fallow if every time you require software, it is either missing, can't be downloaded, or is not compatible with anything newer than 2012. I could probably make it work out, if I was not adding any trees, parking lots, or other furniture to the model, and stick to box buildings. And we both know, if your a modeler, that's no fun! LOL

I am not giving up, I'm still working on the tutorials. I just think that it would be more beneficial for everyone, if someone, even myself, could write a tutorial based on software that is compatible with the newer windows 8.1, Photoshop CC 2014, and 3ds Max 2014.

Thanks again,

Be back soon, I just need to do some studying.

15. Merrilkl Maddox

I have one other option, I have multiple systems, and one still has windows 7, but it only has 4gigs of ram, with built in graphics. I'm not so worried about frying that one, since it don't have 250gigs of files on it to destroy like this one does.
    :think:

16. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

You can create an opacity map based off your diffuse map
    The building shader doesn't support semi transparent effect though, so either off or on.
    3DS Max slot: Opacity.
    CXL name: _op

17. Merrilkl Maddox

OK, I'm finally confused.

First, are you saying that the building shader in the game does not support semi transparency? Or are you saying that the Shader pack for modders does not support semi transparency? Either way, How are people building things such as glass awnings like the one in Mr.x's tutorials? And if you are speaking of the Shader Pack itself, it is not compatible to any version of 3ds Max available.

Mr.X said "for "transparency" effect you gotta create a separate furniture object and use "transparent furniture shader".
    Also not compatible with any availably version of 3ds Max. Or are you saying that it will work without these tools, or are you simply explaining how to create an opacity map?

The big question right now is, Can I build these models in 3ds Max 2015 simply by creating the 4 LODs, adding all, the texture maps, and exporting it as an .FBX file, without the use of the Shader pack for modders, Cities XL Layout File Creator, or Cities XL Artist Tool Suite? :confused:

18. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

yep the shader pack for modders is used for opacity on furniture.
    You can still add opacity maps to the building, black & white - will be either transparent or not.
    I created my last mod doing this as you can see in the below screenshot I used the standard building shader.
    maps.png

19. Nogerivan

Nogerivan Governor

I wonder that too...without defining the correct shader Your building will look so strange in game and in CXXL it will crash, even if You not defining the shader only for lod4 (I always forgot that one :D), but I don't know how the latest artist suite will work it out..
    without layout creator You can't place plug, junction and other stuff correctly, which make Your building not connected to road. But You can copy from another building if it's in the same size

I think that You can skip the modeling part for now(I see that You already master on that) and try to import some simple model correctly to game without making any notice in log file..

20. Merrilkl Maddox

Ok, so I add the Opacity map, and using that map, apply the textures to the meshes that require the opacity. And I gree this will work for creating the posts in the image below, but how can I create the semi transparent glass in the top of the awning without the Shader tools?

I'm sure that once I get a the model created, I will somehow be able to import it into the game. But I am a perfectionist when it comes to modeling, and as in the pic below, if I can't get that glass into the awning as it should be, to me, it would be like spending days creating a model of the Golden Gate Bridge with no way to add the road!

sketchup_sample.JPG