1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

"3d Trial Mods"

Discussion in 'Modding Help Quarter' started by Merrilkl Maddox, May 1, 2015.

1. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

seems to be an issue with either a bad mod that is not supported by XXL game shaders or you have not downloaded the latest community patch for players mod.

2. juan eduardo

juan eduardo Skilled Worker

Thanks buscare patch

3. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

never heard of it, but yeah just don't install any mod expecting it to work on xxl, and if you do always test them in a new test city you create.

4. juan eduardo

if that will thank you very much for your help, I am that they're office buildings Aeronautics and aviaccion just do not remember that mod is'll have to check them up encontralo thank you :)

5. juan eduardo

because when trying to build the game crashes ...

6. juan eduardo

sorry for my english use google translator

7. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

ok. You can edit and post to your first reply within 15 minutes. saves posting multiple post messages.

juan eduardo likes this.
  8. Merrilkl Maddox

Merrilkl Maddox Executive

Well. Just finished reading all the tutorials required to create mods. Doing this while I'm waiting for my switches to be shipped out, LOL.

Now that I have a real good heads up on these tutorials, it isn't so bad after all. Actually, the hardest part is placing the furniture without actually being able to see where it's going.

Creating the class file, especially if you use an existing one, is real simple. And by the way, that's cheating for anyone who actually knows XML language. :) (only kidding!)

Honestly, I would advise anyone who is learning to create these mods to check out some of the courses by Linda.com in XML, or even go to w3schools; http://www.w3schools.com/. It's free, and if people understood a little bit about XML and HTML, and how it's structured, they would find this to be a whole lot easier.

Now once I get my system put together, maybe we can start pumping out some mods for the world to share.

Many thanks to all of you that created these tutorials. Hats off to all of you, great job!! (y)

Time to call it a day, or a night. LOL

9. Pamascus27

Pamascus27 Mayor

Oh wow, I'm impressed with your crazy skills! I'm really looking forward for all the mods you're gonna release!:D I wish you luck :)

10. Merrilkl Maddox

Have a question, 2 Sided material.

In most other modding, such as Trainz, or Rollercoaster Tycoon, you can use a single plain, and select 2 sided material when importing the model, and your material shows up on both sides, like with a fence. Without, the poly is transparent on one side.

In 3ds max, there is a setting for 2 sided material. Do we use this, or am I missing something?

If you must extrude out the poly, and use single sides, on a pole using 2 faces, your triangle count goes from 4 to 24.

Thanks

11. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

If I was to create a fence I would create a plane and use an opacity map - doing so will save you a tonne of faces.
    Then just duplicate the face and flip / move it so you can see it both sides.

12. Merrilkl Maddox

Gotcha, So no 2 sided faces in Cities XL.

This explains why I have over 1000 less triangles than the tutorial!

Thanks for he help! :)

13. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

not that i know of then again who knows with cxl maybe try your method and see if it works? let us know. if not create two sides :)

14. Merrilkl Maddox

Another question. :)

The building in Mr.X²'s tutorial is a t3 industry, with a carpet size, so far, of 40m x 80m. The back base of the train platform is at Y 20m, the front edge of the carpet is at Y -20m, but the back side of the awning hangs over at Y -21.3m.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I believe everything on the model must be within that 40x80 carpet. Is this right?

Simple fix, shift the carpet Y 1.3m and reset the pivot point to 0.0, or do I shift the carpet, center the pivot on the model, then center the model to 0.0?

Then do this to l2, l3, l4, :ROFLMAO:

Thanks

15. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

questions are great as long as valid and make sense like yours :)

basically the carpet/ground is the area that needs to be 0,0,0 and the carpet size could even be made smaller if you need example 40x40, as long as the building still fits within it, position the building anyway on your carpet/ground, then finally at the end of you modeling I would just select the carpet/ground face first and attach all the main building object. because to export final model to game we usually want the one object for each LOD. Either way the final model LOD (object all attached or collapased) must be 0,0,0, each other LOD 2,3 & 4 can sit off X or Y axis - I will try to post a screen example
    hope that makes sense?

16. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

Here is a view of how the final results of how 4 LOD's models/objects might look in max3d scene.

maxLODs.png

different model LODS 2,3,4 on Y axis.

lods1.jpg

17. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

wrong and true^^
    your model can be bigger than the actual carpet size, but:
    usually its better when your model does not hang over, but for some models its necessary and better, just dont let it hang over too far
    Register or to view Spoiler content!

18. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

yep you can do what you want if it works.
    best to fit your model within the base/carpet size we all presume.

19. Merrilkl Maddox

Thanks nicko2u, I think I have it now.

How are you Mr.X²? So far all is well with your tutorial, now that I got my Win7 and using Max 2012.

Yes, I am fallowing your exact building, I just could not get a good view of the back, outside of the one on your actual mod page. I was using measurements from where I had scaled up the actual Sketchup model to the size of your model, and when I did the awning was hanging over the platform.

I figured this would be OK though, since, things such as cranes, and booms would stick out over some areas in the game,
    I just wasn't sure. I am quickly realizing that these models require a little more effort than I thought. And I don't want to have to go back and start over. :)

Anyway, the base model is now finished, :dm9a: I am working on the texture package now. That part should go pretty easy.

For the record, I am using Gimp to create the textures. The "Gimp Normal Map Plug-in" can be found here; http://registry.gimp.org/node/69
    I have Photoshop set up, but for those who don't have Photoshop, Gimp is freeware. Also the settings on the program match very close to the one in the tutorial.

Thanks again for all the help, will be back when I have the texture pack done. :)

20. Merrilkl Maddox

Well, I'm back!! :)

I have a few questions about the textures. I will try and cover them all in this one post.

First questions are for Nicko2u about the "Basic Light map Tutorial"

1. "Under Output, click the ADD… button and then select the LightingMap option. Add a File Name and Type for
    your new map. .png file types are good."
    Do I only type in the name field the file name and type, or do I select the file tab to the right, this promps me to save the file, do I save the file at this time? Or, when you render out the lighting map, do you save the file at that time, or simply close the renderer, and keep the one before?

2. "Done. Apply the material to your model."
    I noticed in Mr.X2's tutorial, it seems that he is using one material ball for all textures, and it appears that you are using a material ball for each texture. If this is correct, are you adding the textures to the model individualy, by selecting the _LM texture from the main map, and then on the screen with the coordinance, naming and assigning the material to the model at that point?

Second question is for Mr.X2

1. When you add your textures to the Material Editor, Are you adding the name in the name feild, just above the Coordinance field? Or, are you simply adding them to the Map field, naming the material ball, and then assigning the entire ball to the model.

2. Assigning materials using both prosedures as above, when I export to viewer, I get no reflection, no bump at all, all I seem to get is my opacity map. Am I doing something wrong, or do these textures even show up in the Viewer, such as normal maps and reflection maps?

Well, Just about got it. The file part will be simple, as long as the pack-unpack works the way it should. LOL

I am going to add the images of my texture pack bellow. Please let me know if they are correct, how they look and how I named them.
    1. b_trs_" "_t3_dif_l1 1024 x 1024
    2. b_trs_" "_t3_bp_l1 512 x 512
    3. b_trs_" "_t3_sp_l1 256 x 256
    4. Four was questionable, since the abbreviation for the reflection map was not included in the tutorial I seen about textures. But I think this is right; b_trs_" "_t3_rf_l1 512 x 512
    5. b_trs_" "_t3_op_l1 1024 x 1024
    6. b_trs_" "_t3_ill_l1 256 x 256
    Set 1-4.png Set 5 and 6.png

Again, Thanks for all your help. :boww:
    It isn't far now, just get over this little hump, and it's all down hill from there!!