1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

A seam became visible after adding a bump map

Discussion in 'Modding Help Quarter' started by Immort_al, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Immort_al

Immort_al Governor

Still can't understand why is some polys are shadowed. In this time i have tried to look how is my model looks in the viewer, and again i see that some polys are shadowed. Only dif map is made yet. And again it hapened after i used a mirrored tool with unwraping. I ve tried to weld all vertexes, used auto smooth for these polys, nothing helped. Why do like kind of these problems appear after mirror or flip tools in the unwrap uvw moddifier? And what should I do to avoid and fix this issue? Untitled-1.jpg

P.S. the model is only on an unwrapping level

2. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

can you upload your max scene? maybe if I look at it I can find your problem.

3. Immort_al

Immort_al Governor

Sure. Here it is, the dif map as a lod are not finished yet

Attached Files:

4. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

i think you have issue with your building or so called faces minus a building :)
    you will get those shaded areas due to that. your vertex/lines have lost his friend in other words. borders are crossing or lost.

Best to create a new object box, remodel and apply your texture!

5. Immort_al

Immort_al Governor

But it appeared before I deleted roof polys

6. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

not sure but to me this look like a google mod gone wrong?

7. Immort_al

Immort_al Governor

No it is not google mod, I 've just deleted half of it including roof to copy paste the textured part to not texture twice

8. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

max02.png

9. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

do not remove main edges/lines maybe, as you see it removes faces also.

10. Immort_al

Immort_al Governor

ok, i will try to add a polys again, but if the reason of that why then this issue appeared before i deleted that faces?

11. Immort_al

Immort_al Governor

What am I doing wrong? Again the same issue with shadowed polys\faces. All vertexes have at least 3 coonnections. I've made a weldening and auto smoothing of faces.
    But each time this issue happens again. I make a mod from zero using 3d max, maybe i'm doing something wrong, or some settings in my 3d max is different?
    Untitled-1.jpg

12. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

im not sure bout this.. but cxl viewer has a shadow-bug. so everything might be fine, at least max render looks like. does it still appear ingame?
    on the other hand vertex welding can cause some weird stuff like this too, but it also appears in max scene then.
    just try ingame and youll know whether it is the bug or sth else
    btw awesome model (y)

13. Immort_al

Immort_al Governor

Thank you Mr.X2 for quick reply, i've not tried this mod in the game yet, case i did't finish it yet, i'm still doing an unwrap mapping for lod3 and tried to see how it looks like in a cxl viewer

14. Immort_al

Immort_al Governor

Still could not find a solution for that issue. So I decided upload my 3d max scene and dif map. There is only 3rd lod made yet. Case i usually start with 4th lod and then make it more complex. Maybe someone can find a reson for this problem.

Attached Files:

15. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

looks like its caused by welded vertices
    looks better ingame, but still not as it should

cxl_screenshot_train_159.jpg cxl_screenshot_train_158.jpg cxl_screenshot_train_157.jpg

i guess easiest would be to load a backup before you did it
    hm sry, cant really help you there, maybe @Monty has a good idea how to fix

16. Immort_al

Immort_al Governor

It almost means to start from zero, case the first backup when i've started unwrapping already looks shadowed

Attached Files:

17. pauliaxz

pauliaxz Mayor

Detach all polys, check if it needs to flip, then export to see if anything changed.

18. Monty

Monty Governor

Cool buildings. Don't mind the shadows in the viewer, they are buggy. You can turn them off from the graphics panel options. It seems to be smoothing problem. Also the custom building shaders may create shading artifacts in the viewer if a bump map is not present, it shouldn't happen in game. It's a good practice to use the buildign shader to check the building as you model it and only switch to the custom ones once you start working with the illumination maps and you already have a bump map present.

The problem was the smoothing, the angle was too wide so the roofs got smoothed too. The default angle is 45 degrees. If you want the roofs to look sharp you need to smooth them at a lower value like 10 or so. If you want to have other parts smoothed to look rounder, you need to select those polys and smooth them at a higher angle. (like the roof on the corner)

screenshot_155.jpg

Attached Files:

19. Immort_al

Immort_al Governor

Thanks u very much for your help! I tried to repeat it by myself but i couldn't reach that result. Could u explain step by step how u applied smoothing, how is right to choose poligons for group case how i'm realise i am not good at all with this tool

20. pauliaxz

pauliaxz Mayor

I usually do Auto-smooth, not for whole object, but only for some segments of polys, and result is decent.