1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Atelier du Grand Théâtre V01.01

Atelier du Grand Théâtre, Geneva, Switzerland.

1. Birk LeGlaire

Birk LeGlaire Governor

Hello OmniusPrime,

Thank's for your answer. I appreciate your effort to give to structered answer. I see we both like exchanging in writing. It must be the privilege of the wise men. Evil spirit would tell about old men (I'm 56 years...), then less wise as you.

And I also appreciate the effort you dedicate to the city management. Even if our views diverge on the way of reaching this management.

But on the question of the respect for the basis rules I shall not discuss. I will not change my mind and obviously you'll not change yours. I'll only write about the consequences of our respective choices.
    Well! But for me it brings two remarks.
    Either you reache this big city which mods respecting the basis rules, and then you know how to developp very populated cities.Then what's the problem with your new city ?
    Or you used in Paris mods which modify rules. And I think it is that you did, becaus the "Paris Pack" contains so poverfull mod to populate a city without fighting. And then I understand you have problems with your new city: other mods other rules.

Yes, when rules are wrong. And that's the question. Are the rules wrong or ... I don't know how to use them correctly?
    Is it in english a adage too ? "The bad workman blames his tools".

Also is your "SOS to modder" call the result of a gap of standard rules or of mods using these rules? I don't have the answer. And I would so much exchange with you about that. But, and it is the most unfortunate, we cannot: We don't use the same rules. To discuss about management, either we use standard rules, either we use exactly the same mods with the same map. We are in none of these two cases.

Sorry.

OmniusPrime likes this.
  2. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

Hello Birk LeGlaire,
    I've played XXL enough now to know what works and what doesn't work in the game. Fire satisfaction is the one area where the game just doesn't have what's needed to have good fire satisfaction with large populations. Police satisfaction is almost as bad but there are a few more booster buildings for it. That's the biggest problem for fire satisfaction, the total lack of booster buildings. Just look at the new mod you uploaded for Leisure buildings, we have more of those than we really need. What would turn that cute but basically useless mod into a real must-have mod would be to add fire satisfaction programming to all of those buildings. I do hope you figure out the problem that some players report about some of the buildings not showing up.

Oh I forgot to mention that for making a large city of 10 million you can't do farms as they take up too much room. So you would like to have a city that does lots of farming so it can trade food to the big city. Then you don't buy from Omnicorp to help trade income stay positive.

My new city of Flachlandstadt is doing great. My new traffic and mass transit systems work well at keeping my roads from going orange or red. The only problem is fire satisfaction. I'm wasting almost 2 million credits to protect 2.3 million in population for a 74% fire satisfaction level. Over 1.1 million spent for police but I have a better 91% satisfaction level. Less than 200,000 for education for a 100% level. Or under 500,000 for health with a 98% level. I also spend little to have a 100% leisure level. Why the large discrepancy between these services? It's because the ones that cost the least have plenty of booster buildings to help us not have to have so many buildings dedicated to a service. The ones that cost the most have the fewest booster buildings.

We do have the saying about a bad workman blames his tools but this is a case of a good workman not having good tools to do good work. Where I have the booster building tools to make good satisfaction levels I do. I can't overcome the poor workmanship of the game's makers who didn't think it through properly to give us enough booster buildings to allow for a proper fire satisfaction level without it costing an arm and a leg plus the shirt off our backs.

If the game's makers were so good at their work then why did they go out of business right after release of this new XXL version? You act as if they did perfect work when they made mistakes obvious for all to see. I'm 64 and have played plenty of games and all of them have flaws. I also did beta testing as well as making scenarios for war games. So I'm very good at figuring out the game system and I see the flaws of XXL clearly.

I'm just waiting for you to build up a city to a few million so you can see what a problem fire satisfaction is when population goes over a few million. I'd love to see your expression when you hit 10 million and your fire satisfaction is below 40% and you're constantly seeing the message that people are afraid of fire constantly. Plus to see you react to how much it costs to maintain fire or police satisfaction. I know you'll finally see I am correct in this and then you'll think about giving us fire satisfaction booster buildings since you'll need them for your large city.

I've opted to use the money cheat in my new instead of play the Omnicorp Trade Welfare game that we're forced to play because standard building tax income is insufficient. You treat the building income standard as if it's sacred and sacrosanct as well as perfectly correct. It isn't, it's sadly too low, hence the resource booster building cheat for trade. Did you notice how many of those resource booster buildings we have? The lack of fire satisfaction booster buildings has to be corrected by modders like you or others. Plus consider this, why did modders make so many cheat mods for XL? If the XL series was so perfect then why all the cheat mods? So sad they don't all work in XXL perfectly, like the Civic Services one. Or the Crime and Leisure and Health Enhancement mods.

So please build, build, build up your city. The sooner you get your population up in the many millions the sooner you'll be totally frustrated by the lack of fire satisfaction booster buildings. You'll also find police could use a few more booster buildings too. Plus you'll see that after a while more fire and police stations no longer improve the satisfaction levels. Then you'll understand the need for more fire and police booster buildings.

As for tax income you'll see how much you have to trade to make ends meet because building tax income is too low. Mo' money means more fun Blueprint and Landmark buildings to make your city look cool. It also cuts down on the reliance of the limited Omnicorp trade transportation points. That becomes a factor when you have multiple cities as I discovered.

Always remember games should be fun to play. Unfortunately Focus Home Interactive forgot that with the XXL release, that's why they're sadly out of business now. Mods make the game more fun as they give us more building variety in looks and performances.

Birk LeGlaire likes this.
  3. Birk LeGlaire

Birk LeGlaire Governor

Hello OmniusPrime,

Here is on my turn my daily contribution.

For me it is not possible for you to tell “what works and what doesn't work in the game” if you are using mods. Is the problem coming from the game or from the mods? That is the entire problem about the mods: they change the basic rules. And they change the balance of game sometimes in advantageous way for the player and sometimes in advantageous way.

Let me give two examples about fire satisfaction.
    1. There are mods who give a T1 residence on a carpet size 15*5. That means that this mod is 2000% more performant than a standard T1 residence. Yes, 2000 %: 20 more taxes income, 20 more population. To reach a population of 10 million inhabitants you need a 20 times less big map.
      But what is the influence on the fire satisfaction? Was the game designed to play with such a big density of population? I don’t know. And I cannot blame the game if it doesn’t work in the game anymore.

2. Now my second example, a mod implementing a fire station on a carpet of 80*80. The modder qualifies his mods as a T2 fire station. And his mod has actually the same influence (radius, max and min) and employs same personals. Its maintenance costs however a little less.
      Do you understand something to these properties? Personally not! Here is a fire station which is for times bigger (that means it consumes more places) and produces not more. Even if it costs a little less this fire station is really too expensive, for times to expensive. And if you used it, I understand your financial problem. Because it takes for times more places, its radius should be 2 times bigger (see picture for a radius equal to diameter of the station), and also the number of employees and its maintenance cost. Of course we can give a bonus (power, employees, cost), but the bonus must respect a ration which can be extrapolated from bonus existing between T1, T2 and T3 fire stations.
    upload_2016-9-20_14-53-50.png upload_2016-9-20_14-54-39.png

On the basis of these two examples I’m really not surprised that CXXL doesn’t work. But I will not blame the basis game. I saw so many mods which really have so “surprising” properties that they can only disturb the game.
    Personally I always try to copy the properties of an existing model. And when I can’t do it, I’m very careful first because I don’t really understand the basic rules of the game.

Also you seem to be an experimented CXXL Player. It's a good thing for me because I have a lot of questions about the way CXXL calculates the satisfaction and nobody to answer them. Perhaps can you explain the following points:
    • What is the difference between the max monthly cost and the upkeep cost of a service like fire satisfaction?
    • How works the satisfaction radius of a service? Does a service with a radius of 200 means that all residences in this circle will have 100% satisfaction? But then what the meaning of the degressive influence? Where should it start and end?
    • Are only Residences impacted in the calculation of fire satisfaction ? I mean if the influence circle contains a lot of industry e.g., does it impact the calculation and where applicable how ?
    • Is the fire service (but not only fire) influenced by the traffic and where applicable how?
    • Elite and unskilled not having the same need e.g., what is the repartition key of a service between the different populations?
    • What is determining for having a service fully operating?
    • Etc.
    I’m really interested by answers to these questions. Without having a clearly understanding of all this mechanism, it is impossible to do correct modds. If I don't understand how my tools work, I cannot say if my tools are good or not.

As I wrote it, I already got population up in the many millions. And I was really not frustrated. Except some roads (traffic), everything was green. But I didn’t use any mods, except some Transportation Mods !!!
    I stopped to develop my cities because I started to do … mods!

But I promise you, my next challenge will be to develop a very big city only with the polluting industry and with the “Tour Eiffel”. Like Paris a century before.

But before I must produce some mods because there are so many heavy industries and poor big residences.

Bye, see you tomorrow.

Attached Files:

OmniusPrime likes this.
  4. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

Hello Birk LeGlaire,
    More good ideas to consider. I like that we're getting into some interesting game mechanics as to how the game works. I began having fire satisfaction problems before I tried mods to help alleviate it so the problem of poor fire and police satisfaction comes from the basic game. You can easily see by comparing what each service has in the way of booster buildings. You'll see fire is the one with the least booster help and it gives us the most problems when making a big city.

That is funny that you stopped playing the game to do mods. Now you know why I don't want to mod. I'll stick to making videos showing how things work, or don't. Plus to show off mods like your beautiful farm ones. I was guessing you've been so busy modding you really haven't played as much and haven't built a massive city of 10 million like I have. I'm hoping that as you play more you'll start to see the same needs I do for mods we really need in XXL.

An interesting point you make about how large of a city did the developers plan on us making. All we have to do is look at the Accomplishments to see the 10 million population one to know the developers did intend for us to be able to make large, populous cities. Unfortunately they didn't give us the proper tools to do the job properly for satisfaction levels.

As for coverage area for service buildings it doesn't seem to really be in meters. There are Street, Block and City levels designated but it's tough to equate those with meter measurements. Now that doesn't mean they aren't done in meters with circular coverage areas the way you've depicted in your pictures.

I'm now going to answer your satisfaction questions as best I can from my playing experience.

I say that the max monthly cost and the upkeep cost are the same thing, just different labels.

I'm still not certain about satisfaction radius, nothing in the manual, in-game tutorials or any other info has explained that for us. Perhaps some modder will be able to tell us from knowing how the data is laid out in the building class file section. As I said above I only see Street, Block and City designations in the building info. I do know that booster buildings affect satisfaction levels of buildings but I'm unsure if it also increases building radius. I think it just increases satisfaction without affecting radius.

Only residences are considered for satisfaction levels like fire for the most part. Look at the grid for satisfaction levels and you see it's always broken down by worker class. That doesn't mean that businesses are exempt from service coverage but they're not as important. I have found that you want to place your services like fire, police, health and education as well as retail and leisure in residential blocks, the closer to residences the better.

A good question about traffic affecting service coverage. I haven't been able to pin this down yet but distance is important as your city grows in size and population it also makes satisfaction levels harder to maintain. Kind of like in Skylines where distance is important as fire trucks can travel from anywhere in the city to put out a fire which makes traffic congestion a factor as well.

I don't know what the exact measurements are for the different worker classes but it is logical that Elites are tougher to please than Unskilled workers. That means you want your fire stations much closer to Elites and Executives than Skilled or Unskilled workers. Same with retail. I imagine the actual factors are in some data file, sure would be nice for someone to find it and publish those factors for all to know.

I'm not sure what the level is for determining when a service gives 100% satisfaction. It looks like each service has a different level for 100% satisfaction. Leisure tends to be easy to maintain for a small town but once you go over a million you need the big city-wide effect buildings to give your city a 100% Leisure satisfaction. I got a good laugh out of one video where the guy was clueless about this and kept building a slew of small ones thinking they'd have an effect. Education is easier to maintain a 100% level and has more booster buildings to aid us when our cities get big. Health is a little tougher than Education to maintain and has less booster buildings in the standard game. Police gets much tougher and fire is the worst for maintaining satisfaction. Police has a few booster buildings in the standard game like the LA Courthouse and the Alcatraz Blueprint building but they are insufficient to keep police satisfaction high in very large cities. Fire has none and it's the one that needs the most booster help. Major developer error!

The reason there are so many mods for XL that affect service is because the basic game isn't properly balanced and calculated. Sadly developers who create games that can be modded never make a good basic game, they're too lazy to give us a really good complete product so they allow for modders to fix the shortcomings the developers never wanted to fix. I only came upon the XL game series when XXL was out so sadly I never experienced XL to be able to see how some of their mods for service actually work. They work somewhat for XXL but not good enough to really make the difference.

Yes I know I increased my service buildings costs by using the XL Civic Services mod and trying to upgrade all of my service buildings to level 4 which basically doubled their monthly costs but I didn't see any real improvement in satisfaction levels. Flachlandstadt is my first city testing it out to see what does and doesn't work. Sadly the Disaster Control Center that's supposed to give fire stations a 40% boost doesn't work as I demonstrated in my Episode 43 video - the SOS to Modders one. Someone had to test things out and show others what does or doesn't work.

I hope I'm able to help you understand gameplay better for XXL so you can make better mods. Plus I hope to show you that it's okay to do non-standard settings for buildings, like tax income. My favorite income producing building is the Walmart Supercenter mod from XL, at 54,920 C on the lowest 10% tax setting. That one building pays for a 50,000 C per month Blueprint building. I think the high density retail standard is 288 C so it would take 174 of those to pay for that BP building.

See you tomorrow! Have a Great Day!

5. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

Birk LeGlaire,
    Here's a few tips on making a huge city of 10 million or more. Making money is easy, you just have to use resource booster buildings to boost your resource production so you can sell a lot to Omnicorp. However you should be careful about where you place your booster buildings, especially the office ones. I was nearing the 10 million mark when my office production went way too high, I had something like 1,000 excess units to sell and didn't have the passenger capacity at Omnicorp to handle that much more. I had to find and delete office booster buildings in my Paris city and then in my other two cities so I could send some office overproduction to other cities after pretty much using up all of Omnicorp's passenger capacity. I even had to delete offices in Paris and replace them with high tech to manage trade better. I suggest placing your resource booster buildings in certain areas you can easily remember to easily find them if you need to delete some.

I made my big city on the Paris map but I completely deleted the existing road system since it had too many small avenues. The existing buildings can't be deleted, you're stuck having to keep them and run roads to connect them. I'd suggest a good flat map without hills or too much water. You're going to need a lot of room to squeeze in over 10 million in population.

Have a farm city that makes a lot of extra food so you can fulfill your big city's food needs without building farms or trading with Omnicorp for it. Perhaps even that city makes extra garbage collection as well.

Don't overbuild heavy industry and manufacturing, the pollution problem will become very costly to keep under control. You want to make a good amount that helps create office demand and jobs. You can use booster buildings to increase industrial production for trade. You're going to find you'll need many, many Big Parks to combat air pollution. Also don't make one large industrial area like I did in Paris. Split them up, at least 3 or 4 areas spread around the map so travel is spread out. Don't build factories randomly, specifically build the e+ green factories for heavy industry and manufacturing only. Yes you have a limited selection but you'll be glad you don't have to regularly upgrade dirty factories to cleaner ones as you'll have a massive air pollution problem.

I suggest using the excellent solar farm mod for electricity. The wind turbines are way too noisy and you have to build way too many. The oil power plants pollute plus need fuel. The solar farms work just like farms. They cost nothing and give a little office production.

I look forward to hearing of your huge city, or perhaps seeing some pictures of it. Good Luck!

6. Birk LeGlaire

Birk LeGlaire Governor

Thank you for the advice which I am going to try to follow. Especially as they already had my full approval.
    And I hope to be actually able to send you some souvenir photos. But not so soon.

OmniusPrime likes this.
  7. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

Birk LeGlaire,
    Here's my latest video talking of the virtues of using mods to improve gameplay enjoyment. I've grown Flachlandstadt to 7.8 million and am almost finished with the city. I go through another demonstration of the Civic Service mod booster buildings, some which actually work at boosting health and police satisfaction and the one that doesn't help fire. I do show the one mod building that does help improve fire satisfaction from my low 40% to 67% as it also helps health and police go to 100% satisfaction.

I hope you'll embrace using mods to build your city of 10 million. To be honest it would be so frustrating to try to do it without mods, perhaps almost impossible. I show that there is a limit of 2,177,800 C of monthly Omnicorp trade income per city, after that changing trade doesn't affect trade income. I found that using mods increases enjoyment playing XXL as it reduces frustration as well as allowing us to have more cool buildings in our cities.

8. Birk LeGlaire

Birk LeGlaire Governor

Hello OmniusPrime, I have another point of view, you know it and I will not explain it once more. I can only confirm I will limit my participation to this site. I play CXXL, not XLNation.
    Have a good day.

OmniusPrime likes this.
  9. veija2

veija2 Mayor

You two are covering some insightful point in this dialogue. It really could moved in and of itself to seperate thread. If I may add my 2 cents -
    there is a flaw in fire coverage when you get into cities over several million pop. It appears to me that it has to do with how the service is delivered. Fire does not cover a geographical radius like some other services. Some programer apparently made the decision way back when that fire trucks can't travel on highways. As your city gets past, say, 4 - 6 million, your fire trucks can't travel on large portions of your transportation system. So fire coverage sucks.

It is that simple. There are other factors at play, too, of course. But how fire coverage is delivered is the problem.

OmniusPrime likes this.
  10. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Seems I remember seeing .class files that were written for coverage up to 5 million population.

OmniusPrime and veija2 like this.
  11. veija2

veija2 Mayor

Interesting! So, this would be a key in fixing the problem, yes?

OmniusPrime and ronrn like this.
  12. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

veija2,
    If fire trucks can't travel on highways then that certainly hurts coverage. I think fire protection is spread out over a whole city instead of more locally to the fire station, like Skylines. Even with a good road system fire protection doesn't seem to improve.

The solution is a booster building or more that jacks up fire satisfaction. I've shown just how effective service booster buildings are for helping improve other services, now if I can only get some modder to bite the bullet and give making a fire satisfaction booster building a try. Sadly the Disaster Control building in the Civic Services mod doesn't work. Those booster buildings won't change the poor coverage but will boost the fire satisfaction of all buildings which yields an improved satisfaction overall.

13. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

ronrn,
    That's interesting. However fire coverage starts becoming bad at just over a million. It would be interesting if a modder changed that to say 15 million, well above what most any city would be built up to. However getting a booster building to actually work would be a certain fix as I've so aptly demonstrated with other services.

14. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

Birk LeGlaire,
    Are you playing and having fun yet? I prefer playing XLNation because it's more fun. Are you making your big city yet?

15. Birk LeGlaire

Birk LeGlaire Governor

I already transfer the discussion in the following thread: Game Play - SOS to Modders, What XXL Really Needs. But we could do it in a more general thread. I’m really interested to start such a general discussion. But of course based on the XXL rules and not on the XNL rules. Let me explain why !
    First remark: I already developed cities about more million. And I don't notice what you described. But I used only the original transportation system from XXL. It is important because first there are bugs on transportation mods. I.e. if you use some farm road mods, the traffic will never be down event with a very big traffic. And second we don’t know if XXL engine integrates correctly the developed mods. Using particles in my mods I noticed how important is to use the right name at the right place. Otherwise no chance. But the advantage with particles is to see immediately when something is wrong.

Second remarks: Even if I don't notice that, it is possible that fire trucks can't travel on highways. But is that a bug or a really interesting feature ?

But what is sure is that the need in fire protection doubles as soon as we cross the million inhabitants. The necessary influence passes from 115 to 215 for R4 residence. What means that full operating fire stations T1, T2 and T3 are not enough (together they give only 150 influences on a 100% traffic condition !!!). That means we must plan absolutely correctly our quartier. And is it the same for the security and the health. Is that not a very exciting challenge?

OmniusPrime likes this.
  16. veija2

veija2 Mayor

As it may be, Birk LeGlaire. I also have built multiple cities over 6 million pop. I had enough fire protection to cover every square inch of the map 3 times. Still no fire satisfaction. It's the roads, and/or how fire protection is delivered. I don't need a better plan. I need a better delivery system. A booster building that fixes the problem? Sounds great. Changes to the core code? Hey, works for me.

OmniusPrime likes this.
  17. Birk LeGlaire

Birk LeGlaire Governor

It is exactly what I wrote. For the 5 services (including shops, edication and leisure) the needed influence is progressing by levels (25000 inhabitants need 10 fire station influence, 100000 20, 750000 30, etc).

I don't agree with you. Fire Service is delivered like other services, at least Security and Health. The coverage become more expensive as the population grows.

I began a new city (expert mode of course) and reached around 70'000 inhabitants.
    _repartition.jpg

Here is the satisfaction panel. Note the fire service is at 91% for R4 residents. This is the result for a population between 50’000 and 75000 inhabitants.
    _Satis_007milion.jpg

Note there is only one T1 fire station.
    _fireStation007.jpg

Now I changed in the game’s parameter the coverage need for a population between 50’000 and 75’000 inhabitants by the coverage need for a population between 1 million and 2 million inhabitants, which pass now from 25 to 45 (+180%). I restart the game without changing anything else in the city.

The satisfaction panel has now a fire service at 51% for R4 residents (only one T1 fire station). The fire service satisfaction is passed from 91% to 51% (-56%). Which is the inversion of 180%.
    _Satis_1milion.jpg

Now I put the coverage need for a population between 2 and 3 million. The fire satisfaction is passed from 51% to 43%, which correspond to the change of coverage need between the two population levels (from 45 to 55).
    Note that the security satisfaction doesn’t change between the two populations level. The explication is because the coverage need for the security doesn’t change too between the two levels.
    _Satis_2milion.jpg

Also for me the fire service is correctly implemented and well-tuned. As far as the mods used do not falsify all the balance of the game.

The difficulty with the fire service is that it is the last service asking coverage in the game. At this time we usually have already allocated the good place to the other service. And because its progression is also more important too (at 10 million, the coverage should be the same as the shop coverage) we need more good places we don’t have anymore.

Last but not lease, we can think we need more time to pass from a 1 million city to a 2 million than from 100 thousands to 200. First at 1 million every unit brings 200 inhabitants and at 100 thousands 1 unit brings only 88. And second at 1 million we can build T3 residence for all residence when we have T3 only for unskilled. Also the number of buildings we must build is approximatively the same. But during this time the coverage need grows from 33% in the 1 million city as it remains the same in the 100 thousand city.

Also for me the fire service is correctly implemented and well-tuned. As far as the mods used do not falsify all the balance of the game.

The big deal is to anticipate the development of the city by placing or by reserving the good places for the good buildings. That’s management.

OmniusPrime likes this.
  18. veija2

veija2 Mayor

Super. Please post your info again when your city gets to 7,000,000. Things. Change.

OmniusPrime likes this.
  19. Birk LeGlaire

Birk LeGlaire Governor

I suppose you use XLN mods. OK my question could sound stupid. But we can not exclude a problem with mods ... I already sow someone ...very nice.

Also I'm developping a new city once more, slowly but surely (chi va piano va lontano). If I meet suddenly a problem with fire service, but without XLN mods, I'll do a mod which will change the fire coverage need.

OmniusPrime likes this.
  20. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

Birk LeGlaire,
    I hate to rain on your parade but I only use the standard roads in XXL, I don't use any road mods. So my fire satisfaction problem isn't coming from road mods.

Second your small tests just don't scale up properly for large populations of 5 million plus. As with so many services once a city gets up in population over a million local service effects aren't what they used to be in a smaller city.

I'm waiting for you to go well over a million in a city. Cities of a million just don't operate like ones of 5 million plus. I'm waiting for you to build a huge city like I've done multiple times. You can see by my videos how bad fire satisfaction gets when population is around 8 million.

So please build up a city to 10 million as planned with only XXL and no mods. I'm waiting for you to see for yourself just how problematic things get as population soars.

Have a Nice Day!