1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Automatic message to newbies?

Discussion in 'XLNation Site Questions, Problems and Suggestions' started by kipate, Dec 4, 2018.

1. kipate

kipate Governor

Hey, @skullz613 :)

Do you think that it is possible to welcome newbies with some private message, e.g. by the XLNation Staff Account? Then we could include e.g. a link to the Beginner's Guide and some other important parts of this website, and maybe help the newbies automatically.

@all: don't hesitate to add some ideas ;)

skullz613 and Lokentaz like this.
  2. Lokentaz

Lokentaz Governor

Great idea.

Edit : I don't know if it could be useful but maybe we could add a question about the game version used.

kipate likes this.
  3. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Think I have a modification I could add if I can't do it with the native forum software. I'll look into it. Only problem I have is if I have to upload stuff I have to wait until I'm somewhere with a good internet connection. I only have data on my phone at the moment. Could be moving mid January into a house.

kipate likes this.
  4. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Do you mean in the welcome message or in your profile?
    If in your profile it could be a compulsory question and I might also be able to get it to show on forum posts under our avatars.

kipate likes this.
  5. Lokentaz

Lokentaz Governor

I was thinking in the welcome message when I wrote but your idea is better.

6. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I can add a welcome message. I'm sure I could add a new question for our profiles but can't track it down at the moment.

Lokentaz and kipate like this.
  7. kipate

kipate Governor

That sounds fantastic (y)

8. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I'll spend some time today gathering links and write it up. It's harder doing it all on my phone so takes a while. Should have it done later today

Peter912, kipate and Lokentaz like this.
  9. kipate

kipate Governor

So, do newbies get some message now? And what does it say?

10. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Not yet. Been hard to do everything on a phone so only taking care of basic stuff so far. I'll give it a shot today as I've finally got to to stage I don't have to go out sorting stuff from moving.

11. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Ok. Just attacked this now before my day begins.

This is what the message is now. (name) will get replaced by members name.

Welcome to Xlnation (name)

First thing you will notice is that we don't have a big rules page. We expect our members to be considerate of each other and keep politics and religious conversations out of the gaming sections of the forums.
    Please refrain from using bad language as we have some young members.

If your having install or mod problems please check out Kipates tutorial
    Tutorial - Beginner's Guide

If you need further help then please read the flowing forum topic before posting in the tech support forum
    All-you-need Tech Thread

We hope you enjoy your stay in XLNation

Regards
    XLNation Staff

kipate likes this.
  12. kipate

kipate Governor

You are fantastic, @skullz613 :boww:
    Now tutorial plus tech-thread, is there anything else to consider?

13. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Think that shoul cover it but I'm open to other suggestions. Don't want to make the message to long though otherwise members will skip it

14. kipate

kipate Governor

That's true, though. Maybe we recommend to use the discussion page for questions about a mod? :D When I review mods, I notice on a regular base that some preceding reviews are just questions about the location or similar^^

skullz613 likes this.
  15. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Good point. The review section is not the ideal place for questions but unfortunately it will always happen. I'll add a comment about it though.

16. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

Was thinking about just deleting all of them every other day. But then again I'm the only moderator left, and these comments are spread all over... In the end thats just the way it is and I dont think people on/in the internet will change. All communities do have this kind of problem, even way more active ones like stack overflow. In my opinion the only way changing things like this is to auto restrict comments/reviews, but technology for that is in its infancy (or however you say in native english).

Therefore I'd keep this message as short as possible containing only most relevant information, so at least a few people will read (or understand) it.

kipate and skullz613 like this.