1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Cities XL Map Editor - Where to find?

Discussion in 'Cities XXL Resource Discussions' started by lgsella, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Merrilkl Maddox

Merrilkl Maddox Executive

Hey Funky Monk, new here and trying to make some maps. Have a slight problem thought, The download above, does not work. At starts the download, starts the install, then stops. I am on win 8.1, not sure of the compatibility. Any advice, as to where else I can get the tool?

Also, Hold onto them big buts, I usually have plenty of questions to ask. LOL

I'm not real new at this, I make maps for Trainz, using programs such as Microdem. And very used to working with node editors. SO I have a few things that may be a plus.

I have already downloaded the other material such as your map making files, and the "World Machine".

Anyway, if you could direct me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

2. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Hmmm, try running as admin.
    I'm pretty sure you need to install net framework 5 for the editor to work. I use win7 so I'm not sure how this goes with win8.

You can use any world building program as long as it can export a heightmap. Terragen, geocontrol are some. I thino terragen does textures too. If not you just import the heightmal into world machine and do the textures in that.

3. Merrilkl Maddox

I f I am understanding you right, Cities xl map editor is no more than a tool to cerate the height map? Basically in the same way Transdem, or MicroDem would, then import that into world machine?

If that's the case, could I not just use transdem , or any DEM file at that matter. If so, I use http://data.geocomm.com/dem\ to get most of my dems, and google earth to get the maps.

4. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

No, you need the editor to pack the heightmap, colourmap and shadowmap into a .land file.

You can import files from microdem into world machine to create those three files.

5. Merrilkl Maddox

6. Merrilkl Maddox

The Funky Monk

At media fire, do all 8 of these files need to be downloaded together?

7. Merrilkl Maddox

Sorry to bother you again, but need one last thing,

Programs needed.

Photoshop or another image editing program

HxD - Hex Editor

Cities XL PakUnpak

CXL Packager - I can't find this program anywhere!

Cities XL Map Editor

Can you help,

Thanks,

8. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Here's the link to pakunpack.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/feqsyfdh8alaa/CitiesXLPakUnpak_v1.3.0

I don't use the packager anymore.

And yeah, all 8 of those files you will need to download.

So you will need.

A hex editor.
    Photoshop or equivalent. (You need to be able to save files as .dds, nVodka has a Photoshop plugin for this.)
    world machine or equivalent.
    Cxl pakunpack.
    Cxl map editor.

I actually use Morans map tool to create all the folder structure in the data folder. He has uploaded it here.

9. Merrilkl Maddox

I already have the PakUnpack tool, I figured it may be different. I will go ahead and download all 8 files to my win 7 system, since you don't know if it is compatible to 8.1.

Thanks again.

The Funky Monk likes this.
  10. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

I'll jump on the pc tomorrow and make sure those are the programs I use.

11. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Alrighty. I use the following programs.

World Machine - To create heightmap, colourmap and shadowmap
    Photoshop with the nVidia plugin - To convert colourmap and shadowmap to .dds and to add an alpha channel to the shadowmap.
    HxD Hex Editor - To edit the .lvl file to then make a .lvl file with correct map names.
    CXL Map Editor - To pack the heightmap, colourmap, shadowmap and rgb into a .land file.
    Map Tool By Moran - To make the data folder with all the resource, xml, lua and localization files.
    Cities XL PakUnpak - Pack all of this into a .patch file.

12. Merrilkl Maddox

View attachment 15959

I apreaciate you checking that for me, but I have already ran into a dilemma!

The area I am doing is so flat on the DEM, that it isn't going to be much more than a flat map with a little noise.

I live in this area, and there are plenty small hills around, just not sure how it is going to turn out.

Below is a copy of the DEM. It is actually about 9-10km wide.

Atlanta DEM..png

So in your opinion, should I make this, or is there maybe something laying around that I could use. Only problem is, there is no water in the area. Very boring map but the fallowing images are why I want to do this.

There are 2 maps in all, since I don't think I can have a map that is 15 miles across it.
    One is Atlanta GA. The other is south Atlanta Ga. at Hartfield Atlanta International Airport.
    I want to build the airport! :)

Atlanta 2.JPG

Airport.JPG

Airport 2.JPG

What would you do?

Thanks

13. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

There's a tutorial that comes with WM that shows you how to fix up real world data. It's under documents/worldmachinedocuments.

Unless you wanted to recreate the place where you live, I'd go with a different map. You could use London, Ontario map that is flat but has a few small rivers on it.

14. Merrilkl Maddox

My system won't open a .TMD file, is there a trick, or do I need a certain software to open these file types. I searched the internet with no real luck.

As for those 2 maps, is there a way to get rid of the rivers using the terrain tools in game? I know how to add hills, and remove dirt, never tried to remove water.

Thanks The Funky Monk

15. Merrilkl Maddox

Way too many rivers. I think I am just going to have to have a go at making the maps. I heard somewhere that it is harder to make a flat map than one with hills.

Also, there are many sunken freeways in our area, so the waterbed, if there was one, would need to be real low.

Well, I guess now is as good a time as any to hit your tutorials again. I've already watched all of them, and I have all programs that you say I need. And you have pretty much set up the directory for the files. So, you've done most of the leg work already.

Never know till you try, right?

If you want to fallow me, I have a new thread, "Atlanta & Atlanta Hartsfield International Airport" I am not real familure with the registry yet, so I put it under Modding Help Quarter, I think that is the right place.

Thanks again.

16. Merrilkl Maddox

The Funky Monk
    Wow, How dumb do I feel, the .tmd is a file you open in The World Machine. Dah... :dm9b:

The Funky Monk likes this.
  17. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Making a flat map is fine if you dont have any water.

18. Merrilkl Maddox

Nope, No water at all. other than that at the bottom of a rock quarry, and that can be done with overlays.

19. Merrilkl Maddox

Will be gone a couple days, Family fun. Be back next week. :dm9a: :agnes3::dmc1::dmc3::dmc7a::dmc4::dm1::dmc6: