1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Cities Xxl Steam Reviews

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by gbojanic, Feb 6, 2015.

?
  1. Yes

66 vote(s)
    59.5%
  2. No

45 vote(s)
    40.5%
  1. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

There are trains. They never said above ground trains though. So many read things and jump to ridiculous conclusions. 'Oh cool it's gonna have above ground trains and bigger maps'. Never once did they say this.

2. Pepino

Pepino Mayor

Oh come on!! You are releasing a game and say there will be railways. What is ridiculous about thinking there will be above-the-ground trains??? Do you ever refer to metro as railways in normal life? "Oh, I need to catch my railway!" or you don't see a difference between a "railway station" and "metro station"???

3. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

We call them train stations.

It's not the companies fault that people see what they want to see. They are releasing a game, they are telling people what's in the game, not what isn't in the game. Yes they said railways, because that's what they are. Metro and above ground trains both run on rails.

4. Pepino

Pepino Mayor

Man, either you don't see my point, or you don't want to... Everyone knows above- and underground trains use rails, therefore it is a railway network. No dispute here.
    The problem is the use of words that IS/WAS misleading and it IS the company's fault. If it wasn't, there wouldn't be so many disappointed people. When you are marketing things, you have to put yourself in the seat of the client. And if you advertise a city-builder and say there will be railways, people will likely think these are simply above ground trains.
    In your logic, these two announcements by a pizza place are the same:
    1) "all you can eat pizza tonight"
    2) "all you can eat shrimp pizza tonight, no other pizzas available"
    If these are the same for you, I hope you are not allergic to seafood.

Good night, mate ;-)

Dr Lucas Fortes and MuxLee like this.
  5. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

seriously if they had above ground rail in the game they would of advertised the crap out of that feature! Seems your just peeved off because it doesn't have what your thought it had. Anyway hopefully in the future it maybe have above ground freight/passenger rail. In the meantime enjoy the new game!

6. themp3dj

themp3dj Unskilled Worker

Sorry guys, I'm a little confused....

Shouldn't the game have worked upon first release (aka game lag, etc)....? At least a bug fix in a reasonable time thereafter.....?

Now, how many years later on "CXL 4.0" (or whatever), we finally get a lag fix for an additional $20.00US (discounted)....so $50-60.00US later we have a "great game...finally...!"

Just came from official web site and it says "1000+ buildings, maps, etc...." Didn't XL nation just cross 1,000 "community uploaded mods" several days ago....? They have had all of the tools for the better part of five years and you guys have eclipsed them with much better elements...kudo's to all of you...!

Tell you what, I'm going to wait until all of the veteran modders play the game for a handful of days, watch their reviews and then make my decision to add the CXXL "patch"....or not....

For me it's not about the $20.00, it's that it took another year plus since the release of Platinum to FINALLY fix the biggest problem the game has had since Day 1...

Thanks to the XLNation community, FHI should be ecstatic that you guys kept the game on life support up to now....

I really, really want to keep loving this game....the early reviews are confirming me to "park and wait"....

And you know the guys at Cities: Skylines are feasting on all of the controversy and potential confusion....betting they have a slight delay in release as they continue to tweak their product...and why not...? They have now seen what "the other guys" have brought to the table....

Just sayin...

7. Pepino

Pepino Mayor

@nicko2u , you are right in all three points: they would have, I am, the new game :-D

8. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

About 15-20 of us here did the beta test. Trust us when we say it's way more improved. If you're expecting a totally new game you'll be disappointed. If you like CXL Platinum you'll love CXXL.

Don't listen YouTube reviews or knobheads on Steam, they have no idea.

Veknor and nicko2u like this.
  9. themp3dj

themp3dj Unskilled Worker

Thanks Funky....was hoping so...!

Glad to hear a nice sample group did the beta testing...already making me feel better....

Sounds like we need to keep testing earlier mods to see what will fit...betting the "not compatible list" will shrink pretty quickly....

if I am reading everybody correct: Start a new city first in XXL and work your way through your mod's pak to see what is compatible ....?

Also, keep old CXL cities in older game...right...?

Thanks guys...!

10. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

they bought a second hand car/game, not like FHI created this game Monte Cristo did. FHI have finally fixed some major issues with it and all I see are trolls bitching about stuff that is not even related to the new game funny as.

11. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I just hope Altiris goes further with the menu. There's so many things that can not be used. I just did an adjustment on Lexs Total Greenery Mod so I could use the trees (I just changed the tags) but I have had to leave the park plazas out due to the amount of stuff in the custom area's menu. There are other plazas I use but don't know where to put them at the moment.

12. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

skullz i think it will be some mods will need adjusting to suit the new menu, idea of new menu is to keep it less cluttered with so many menu options that where in originally in UIM.

13. Stevo

Stevo Skilled Worker

I found this informative.

14. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah I know. I'm just going through what I normally use and I'm editing them so I can use them in XXL. I may resort in putting some under a different menu button as the area one is getting a full bloated.

15. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

gamers review that's all not bad though.

16. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

yah to many plaza areas lol. thats why I tend to make mine small so not to bloat it out with a mega pack :) not to mention one

17. MuxLee

MuxLee Executive

Actually it does matter ! so far I have only cities of 10 to 50k which isn't really city is it. And if its not multicore why sell it as multicore.

18. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

It is multicore. Jump on Google and look up what multicore is and the different ways it's utilised.

19. MuxLee

MuxLee Executive

My friend I do not need to jump on google I am software engineer of 30+ years . Actually I manage test department so I know bug when I see one .

20. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

ok guys about the rail stuff, i totally agree with pepino about this. what they said is:
    "At citizen management level, you’ll be able to track a person’s route to work in order to best manage transport from sea, underground and over-ground rail, or air. Cut-down on traffic queues with the park and ride and busses, or even bike hire – reducing that carbon footprint!"
    im going to translate this like 99% of people would understand: "metro and rail". ok, its true, thats not absolutely clear what that could mean, but its definitely a really bad communication by fhi. source: description of official teaser trailer on youtube:
    they also said similar things on their official website but removed it from there o_O
    anyway, i can wait for a rail-mod :p

and i did expect everything but a new game, the only thing i expected was an improved engine (and rail, at least at the beginning^^)... but what ive seen so far, its not that improved... on the other hand i trust you guys here who did the beta-testing. and if you guys say: it is improved and performance is way better than in cxl2012, im going to buy this patch... well yeah, and of course 20€ is a bit expensive for a bug-fix-update :rolleyes:

MuxLee and Pepino like this.