1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Cities Xxl Steam Reviews

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by gbojanic, Feb 6, 2015.

?
  1. Yes

66 vote(s)
    59.5%
  2. No

45 vote(s)
    40.5%
  1. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

Let's keep it cool here. I'd hate to see this thread degenerate to the level of stupidity that is the Steam forums.

We can disagree while still being mature about it, as has been the case so far. :)

gbojanic likes this.
  2. kipate

kipate Governor

:LOL: @MuxLee ! You think @The Funky Monk was a cheerleader for FHI?
    You seem to forget about the time before CXXL, it was Funky and others
    who were the most critical ones about CXXL. Maybe this is also the reason
    why you guys do perceive the game so differently: Funky could just have had
    worse expectations than you, and now is rather enlightened about the outcome.

Maybe you just buy the game and then either play the hell out of it or throw it
    into the garbage can? People who have been really critical about CXXL tell you
    that it is better than they had thought it would be, what more do you want?
    Hell, if I was not busy building one of the most scenic cities the old game has ever seen,
    and learning for exams, I would buy it. And you say you are or have been a software
    engineer? I would say you have more monetary resources than me to buy
    the game without any care.
    And, please, don't be offended by what I said.

MuxLee and Mr.X² like this.
  3. MuxLee

MuxLee Executive

I have the funds of course , but it is the principle . Selling a bug fix as a new game is just not on. One other thing to add is funky is not paying for his copy so he does nt have that issue. Hes just chuffed hes got his name on the credit screen, tbh FHI should be grateful to the community.

The vanilla game is crap, the buildings are ugly, the roads are useless textures breaking up, stupid traffic , lag, trading bugs,crap ui . Yes I know there are MODs but surely all these should have been fixed in a new version especially if they re asking for full price for new users that's OK but half price for a working copy of the title I bought a few summers ago.
    How many new buildings in the vanilla release?

I ll give funky or any one else a few headers to see if it is new game .

New industrial buildings ?
    New Commercial Buildings ?
    New Blueprints ?

Roads
    Furniture
    Transport functions

gameplay

Performance

Aesthetics

4. snick

snick Moderator
    Staff Member

Thing is, everyone keeps calling this a "patch" or "bugfix". The engine itself had to be changed. There is no way to do that via those methods; thus, a new release was necessary.

Could they have added more to the release to justify the price? If they wanted to hit the release date (which people online were already fretting about), no, they couldn't.

Whether the price is worth it, again, is up to the individual to decide. I personally think yes, but I respect the opinions of those who disagree.

I do have a feeling this game will be getting more content, however. Hopefully for a very small price or perhaps even free. Time will tell.

5. morqe

morqe Vagabond

I'm in the holding pattern, atm.

Right now for me the biggest issue is compatibility with some mods that are must have for me.
    Like Realistic Highway Mod (RHM2) and the one with promenades and other shore pieces (forgot it's name...) and Also some modular xxxxx mods.

I will see what will happen in that department.
    Also just for feedback, it would be cool to see those things/changes:
    - trains, with different models, normal inter city, bullet train and such
    - bigger maps, like someone mentioned, to have more freedom with placement
    - some furniture/plopables packs, I did some killer graveyards with those

6. Reikhardt

Reikhardt Unskilled Worker

I really don't think people appreciate how much work is required to change a piece of software to enable it to use multiple cores. It's not a patch by any stretch, it's a big undertaking of programming.

7. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

8. MuxLee

MuxLee Executive

no mate I looked in the taskbar and saw citiesxl .... bit of a give away really. on the other hand why don't you write a full review that's what people want. if you have a copy can you stick up the perfmon graph ? and or cpu usage , you can also set affinity to different core and see what happens?

9. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd still buy it if I didn't get it for free and if this game sucked balls I'd rip it to shreds. I didn't buy Platinum for that reason. It didn't have anything worth paying for.

10. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I posted a screenshot is steam when I got sick of all the mud slinging which shows all the cores being used but to do it now would mean I would have to pull out all the mods I've added and change globalconfig file back.

11. MuxLee

MuxLee Executive

just stick up a review attacking me will get you nowhere

why do you have remove your mods - its realtime ???

12. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Regarding mods etc... I've already made changes to the config etc so the game runs how I like it to run. I cant be arsed changing everything back to default just to show the current performance/cpu usage. My game actually runs like a pig for the first minute as I have the config set to render everything when the city loads. I have also change the settings so when zooming the game does not keep rendering everything all over again.
    Once all the rendering is done it's only new stuff added that needs rendering. This helps a lot when I'm working on big cities.

Any performance reviews need to be done with a fresh copy of XXL and the graphic settings set at what the testing PC can handle and not above it's means. Only then is a performance review true.

13. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

Wow, I've never looked at Steam reviews before and I don't think I'll bother in future. It's full of nothing but uneducated trolls.

Reikhardt likes this.
  14. Reikhardt

Reikhardt Unskilled Worker

It really can be horrific at times. I've had a Steam account for years and I've got over 650 games but I really get embarrased at how some people act on there.

15. themp3dj

themp3dj Unskilled Worker

Just wondering if the same bashers of CXXL on Steam are the same who bashed the pre-released videos and screen shots of Cities: Skylines...?

Oh wait a minute....I truly don't care...

P.S. -- I write comments about the games I actually play the same way as the movies I actually watch....key word being "actually"...

One of my all-time favorite quotes: "Hey, I have access to the internet...therefore I have an opinion...!"

The Funky Monk likes this.
  16. MuxLee

MuxLee Executive

@skullz well we can compare your optimised version vs vanilla ......

what an excuse LOL

17. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

CXXL CPU.jpg

kipate likes this.
  18. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah that's what I kind of had Funky when I checked the CPU usage before I bogged it down :) I have a feeling I have a few mods that might be the problem. I'm going to pull out the ones I have added that are not on steam and see what happens.

19. AwesomeFly

AwesomeFly Unskilled Worker

8AGnf6.jpg

I am seeing the same performance, no mods. The spikes on the other 3 cores are from when selecting zones and roads; they just jump to 100%. This is on slow update speed in windows task manager btw.

20. Dreian

Dreian Moderator
    Staff Member

not sure if it has been posted already, but here is a nice benchmark between Platinum & XXL by Auriga