1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Cities Xxl Steam Reviews

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by gbojanic, Feb 6, 2015.

?
  1. Yes

66 vote(s)
    59.5%
  2. No

45 vote(s)
    40.5%
  1. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

yes :D

2. AwesomeFly

AwesomeFly Unskilled Worker

Proof? Visually and performance-wise, not much shows any usage of DX11.

3. Geneo

Geneo Vagabond

Prove it doesn't.

4. Reikhardt

Reikhardt Unskilled Worker

Easy. Try and run it on Windows XP, or any earlier Windows edition. If it runs, it isn't using DX11.

5. AwesomeFly

According to the system specifications on Steam, the game is supposedly running on DX10.

"768 MB 100% DIRECTX 10 AND SHADERS 4.0 COMPATIBLE ATI RADEON HD 5670/NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 260 OR HIGHER"

6. Geneo

Geneo Vagabond

Those are "system requirements", not what it's using.
    I have a GeForce gtx 850. It has to be using it- it's the only card I have.
    I have DX11, it's the only version I have, therefore XXL has to be using it.
    Just because you're disappointed that it 'seems' to you that it's not using DX11 (like there isn't some super-duper performance and visual improvement), that doesn't mean it isn't.

7. AwesomeFly

Games with DX9, 10 or 11 all run on cards that have 11. It says nowhere that it is, or should be using DX11. I just want to see straight facts either from log files or FHI themselves that the engine uses DX11. As far as officially stated, the game uses DX10 (which is an improvement over DX9 which previous versions used). Why would they recommend a DX10 card, if the game would be using DX11? that is no logic.

MuxLee likes this.
  8. Geneo

Geneo Vagabond

No, that is not logical.
    It's programmed for DX10. Doesn't matter if you have 11, 12, 13 or whatever. It will use no more than DX10 specs, and it will always look like a "DX10" game. The game doesn't have a "auto DX detector" in it. It's not going to magically change the visuals because it detects a better DX. They recommend a DX10 card because that's the minimum DX that can run the program and if you have a higher, compatible DX it will still use it, but it's not programed to use all the capabilities of it- only the DX10 part.

Sorry you're not getting this. It's easy enough to test yourself.
    Get DX10 and run the game.
    Now get DX11 and run it.
    No difference- game looks and acts the same.
    You want "facts"? Look at your own log files.

9. kipate

kipate Governor

am I misunderstanding something?
    If I read it correctly, AwesomeFly said that the game is using DX10,
    and you, Geneo, say that it is programmed for DX10, and you both want to have proof
    from each other that it is not made for DX11?
    npa5yMn.gif

10. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

FHI have said XXL has got DX11 support. One of the beta testers in our testing group asked for a list that we could use to show what changes were made and DX11 support is on the list.

11. Geneo

Geneo Vagabond

If the minimum specs say DX10, it's programmed to work with, and no less than, DX10. Of course it has "DX11 support".... (more like DX11 supports DX10 games). 11 IS the current version and everyone should've upgraded to it by now. All I'm saying is the game was written for DX10 (they probably started work on it before 11 even came out).

If it were programmed specifically for DX11, why would they say it will run with DX10?
    You guys have no problem understanding a program won't run with XP when the minimum specs say Win 7 or above, so why the confusion with DX?

What Awesomefly was contending was 1) "proof" that it was using 11 (which won't "prove" anything), and 2) he couldn't see a difference if it was (and he won't).
    The Bottom Line is: the game is what it is, and no amount of ram, processer speed, or version of DX, is gonna make it look any better than it does right now.

MuxLee likes this.
  12. AwesomeFly

XP does not have DX10 either, which rules that out. 10 shipped with Vista, therefore the Vista support still being there. If I recon correctly, many games have "in-game" settings which will allow you to change between DX10 and DX11, if they would to be having both (For example, Far Cry 3). Now, I am not taking you for an idiot or anything, man. I just do not see any proof at all that the game uses DX11. If it would, why would they not market it because of a huuuge step up from DX9? why does not the CPU take advantage of a DX11 based game? None of the DirectX11 features are used either visually-graphically or visually-performance wise. It does show a difference between 9 and 10, however. That's why I do not believe this game to be running DX11. I still love the game, though. Don't get me wrong ;)

13. AwesomeFly

Seems like it, But I am not saying that it runs DX10, I'm saying that all the evidence show that the game must be running DX10 and not DX11. :)

14. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

This is from FHI.

Technical aspect
    - Multicore support
    - Improved game performance and stability
    - DirectX 11 support

15. AwesomeFly

Where do they state that? :)

16. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

In an email from FHI.

gbojanic likes this.
  17. AwesomeFly

Same way they promised trains? :p

18. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

They never promised trains.

gbojanic likes this.
  19. Reikhardt

Reikhardt Unskilled Worker

This thread is depressing, what started out as a reasonable discussion about the merits or not of Cities XXL and whether performance improvements have been delivered has just resorted into squabbling. Shame.

Andommak, Pepino and gbojanic like this.
  20. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Love the new avatar :)

The Funky Monk likes this.