1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Edzo Map, City Building Contest, Spring 2017

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by Mr.X², Feb 6, 2017.

1. loren banovic

loren banovic Executive

I scratched the idea of a amsterdam like canal city. I'm competiting for the "best realistic city", and "best railway and stations".
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. nicknick

nicknick Governor

That's definitely a good start. I like the density, the density changes and overall it definitely has a real feeling.
    From what i get, it's Citles XL?

I would pay more attention to minor details, at least at the spots of the city around the submission photos. The red spots of the "not connected" buildings. . . you can run a small road there under the buildings to eliminate them and get them connected.

I would also try to make smoother road / railroad curves. It's a pain all the time for me and leaves me wrecked from the effort to get it right, not always possible to get everything smooth and curvy. . . there are always limitations of the game.

All in all i think you have a very strong eye for general planning, i already see a perimeter avenue. . . that's a strong concept you have in hands and you execute the geometry of it in a way that definitely looks real as in a real life city. I like what i see very very much.

Pepino and kipate like this.
  3. kipate

kipate Governor

Just don't forget to make backups frequently, guys ;)

4. nicknick

nicknick Governor

yes, yes, thank you for reminding. . . going to do it right away. . .

5. loren banovic

loren banovic Executive

Thank you very much for the tips, this will help me in expanding my city. :)
    PS I'm using xxl.

6. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

My first camping, thank you Monty,
    It remains in the theme of the campaign, and can also be, in the theme of holidays ....
    I think I will increase again and again the size of the campsite, I like this contest,
    upload_2017-2-13_23-16-9.png

BahadirB, Thrangar, Clemech4 and 14 others like this.
  7. Jotape

Jotape Mayor

Amazing work!

Drazicdesign likes this.
  8. Gioroman87

Gioroman87 Elite

[Quote = "Drazicdesign, posta: 36828, membro: 43"] Il mio primo campeggio, grazie Monty,
    Rimane nel tema della campagna, e può anche essere, in tema di vacanze ....
    Penso che aumenterà ancora e ancora le dimensioni del campeggio, mi piace questo concorso,
    [ATTACH = completa] 37079 [/ attach] [/ quote]

Quello che è il campeggio mod? Posso averlo? peccato che i megaliti in XXL non funzionano perché per il mio progetto di città ho voluto metterli. Un'altra cosa @Drazicdesign tua strada poderale mod non è lo stesso di quello nella foto, o meglio le strade così come li vedo nella foto. Essi sono resti sicuramente migliori.nulla che rimangono un grande modder e io sempre ti seguo con piacere. una buona giornata.

9. ExileOnMainSt

ExileOnMainSt Skilled Worker

Drazic, just take your damn medals already :rolleyes::p

Excellent work everyone, I'm seriously impressed so far. I have a feeling that some truly beautiful and innovative cities will be developed for this contest. I look forward to seeing all your hard work. And of course, the map is gorgeous @skullz613! Those underwater trees are...interesting ;)

Here is what I have so far. The look I'm going for is a Northeastern American city, with suburbs and smaller towns surrounding it in the countryside.

[​IMG]

Pepino, Drazicdesign, Mr.X² and 3 others like this.
  10. nicknick

nicknick Governor

That's a great start @ExileOnMainSt. I like it.
    Ilike what i see. . . i like how the highway winds, twists, in the grid. It is indeed how a highway would be in reality in this region.
    Don't forget to be cautious on the scyscraper's thing. . . it really has many options, many ways to do it. . . i always get a little onthe too much side of the things with the scyscrapers, i like them lol. . . still other US cities have a pretty dense high - rise CBD, other have some scyscapers and more mid-rises around.
    There is no right and wrong pick, both work, . . . still. . . there is a a wrong and right way to follow each option. I always have a difficulty to master this. . . i assume what you should be going here shoudl be a nice skyline and this can be done either wit a lot or just a few high rises.

I think the highway is / should be a main focal point. . . so do invest time to it. I 'd try to have different densities around it. I always tend to beautify things around them, reality though is that highways, especiall an elevated highway are not always so great looking. . . they don't always have parks aside. So think of using bith parks on the side but also some gray texture. . . or get buildings very close to it and then leave some ample space with a parking lot, a vacant space next to it. . . what i am talking here is that a highway should be a very strong, serpentine thing and then a bit of a chaos aside it. . . or an ordered situation in the better areas. . . ;)

Also, the situaiton arouind the stadium could be well. . . less "pretty". . . it's a nice arrangement the one you have done, still in reality it would be more of giant jumbo parking spaces rather than a nice park. Yes, the park IS nice, but you need some parking spots there. . . perhaps onthe other side.

I like US cities, i have a hard time to plan one, lol, , this is a very good example. I like it and it has the potential to be a great one. I think we all have a lot of work to be done on this map. . . ugh. . . well done and i want to see more. . .

11. nicknick

nicknick Governor

Hahahaha. . . this! He is going full throttle, space shuttle speed for the "green city" + "parks" medal. . . and it's done on a fantastic and inspiring way. . .

Drazicdesign likes this.
  12. nicknick

nicknick Governor

Re the stadium:
    41°51'43.27" N 87°36'55.59" W in Google Earth is one option. . . a big commute station and a beautified area. . . i assume it had parking spaces decades ago and now it has been revamped. The way i see it, this is what you may be going for. . . a revamped area, some parking spots. . . a highway next to it. That's in Chicago.

41°52'50.84" N 87°40'26.65" W is the parking spots thing. . . also in Chicago, some miles to the West.

Highway = parking spots. In other words. . . if you have a highway next to it it should be bringing cars there and in large numbers. . . you surely have space there, towards the bottom of the photo to make some. . .

13. kipate

kipate Governor

Fantastic entry, @Drazicdesign (y)

@ExileOnMainSt, maybe it would be good to have some kind of an additional lower lying plateau? Those high barriers look a bit odd, here is what I did in one of my cities, this way, your city won't lack access to the water.
    [​IMG]

14. Jotape

Jotape Mayor

I changed the skyline and downtown. I hope it looks good :)

contest_2_preview_4.jpg
    contest_2_preview_5.jpg

15. XOUSTE

XOUSTE Ambasidor

OMG i...haven't started yet:facepalm:

Jotape, Drazicdesign and Mr.X² like this.
  16. XOUSTE

XOUSTE Ambasidor

These bugs are annoying:confused:

20170215002824_1.jpg

17. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Don't forget guy's that you can bulldoze the trees in the water. Just takes time using XXL as we don't have access to a bulldozer mod with a bigger area.
    If this was a XXL Map editor made map there would be no trees in the water. Unfortunately as I have explained in the past (so have others) we cant do anything about trees when building maps in the old editor. Many have tried (including myself) and failed.

kipate likes this.
  18. kipate

kipate Governor

Smooth curves, I love'em :love:

Well, @XOUSTE, you could try to place some totally flat plaza next to the highway (if there is a little gap between the highway and the white concrete area). Then you can avoid the bug :)

XOUSTE likes this.
  19. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah I have had the triangle bug a few times now. I thought it was because I have my graphic settings really low to speed up the building process.
    I ran a path along side a river edge and filled it in and got heaps of black graphic chunks everywhere. Not sure why it happens, unless it's because the path is to close to a near vertical cliff face.

XOUSTE likes this.
  20. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

time to finally post a first pic that shows something more than rocks :D
    cxl_screenshot_paleto bay_16.jpg
    just a start of town #2, the south american one... still a loooooooooo²t to do
    (yet im planning to do 3 different cities on the map, just like a "little planet" :D welp, lets see how its going to end^^)

BahadirB, Pepino, Jotape and 2 others like this.