1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Failed to extract material from node

Discussion in 'Modding Help Quarter' started by xanderbass, Feb 25, 2015.

1. xanderbass

xanderbass Skilled Worker

Hello!

I made some model in Google SketchUp. It contains several materials. I imported it in 3DS Max 2012. When I'm trying to export my model to viewer error appears:

failed to extract material from node <...>

Model looks correctly in 3DS Max, but it's not exporting.

What may be wrong?

There is L1 version of my model in ZIP.

P.S. Sorry for my bad English

Attached Files:

2. Nogerivan

Nogerivan Governor

I don't know what went wrong cause I can export Your model without problem, but it looks like this
    Capture.JPG

You need to remap the textures in 1 material...it does not support composite/multi material model
    look for aitortila tutorial..

3. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

4. xanderbass

Well, thanks you for answer. But aitortilla's tutorial does not tell about some things. For example my model contains some polygons that filled tiled textures. If I inderstood aitortilla's tutorial correctly, I'll be forced to divide this polygons into parts. But is it right? I guess, there's any solution for convert multy-material in single btimap directly in 3DS Max. I'm wrong?

5. PaulJChris

PaulJChris Governor

No there isn't unfortunately. You have to take all the multimaterial individual texture files and load one by one into 1 single texture file using photoshop/paint etc with limited space. This is an acquired skill with practice. With tiled textures , you have to divide the space on the 3dsmax model into smaller areas, then overlap them on the UVmapping in order to save texture space or you simply will not be able to fit all the textures you need into the desired space. Once you have a combined single texture file , then you need to remap the entire model to the new single combined diffuse texture. It is not a 5 minute job.

nicko2u likes this.
  6. xanderbass

PaulJChris, big poligons must be divided by small poligons or big poligonss dividing by some special areas will keep poligon count in model? For example I have model with 1000 poligons. There's one poligon in this model, where some texture fragment will be repeated for 10 times. How much poligons will be in the model when I divided big poligon, as you said - 1000 or 1009?

7. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

Polygons, if I was you I would start with the most basic mods first - google mods can be very bad to convert. just saying. Maybe start with your own model using Max or blender etc

8. Nogerivan

Nogerivan Governor

You can tile the texture 10x so no need to cut poly

xanderbass likes this.
  9. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

if you want a nice custom model, constantly adjust both the texture and the model to suit. sometime you might have to divide a face into 4 faces or even 10 faces. Therefore if you then wrap them to one face texture area, make sure that texture is suit for it. correct size resolution.