1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Fix for old mods shader crash errors (XXL) 1.2

Solves crashes related to shaders in older mods.

1. cjpavel

cjpavel Skilled Worker

2. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

cjpavel,
    Sorry to ask a dumb question but did you make sure to delete old shader fix mod after downloading new one and before entering program? Having both at the same time could cause this. Did you make sure to place shader fix file in the mods folder without it being in any subfolder? The "warning X3206: implicit truncation of vector type" part of the error message lines is like what I saw.

What is that EnhancedUV2_.1.fx? Looks like that could be the problem. Can you move that out and try the new shader fix file and amusement park to see if that's the conflict? I just checked my file pathing and can't find a shader folder under the data folder. My guess is that this is the problem, the UV shader mod. It probably conflicts with the NIGHT_LIGHTNING.fx file inside the new shader fix mod.

I have 297 mods, both old XL and new XXL ones and even some from Steam. I had no problems when I deleted my old shader fix mod before installing the new 1.1 version and went into the program just fine. I didn't have any CTD problems as I built the items in two of my cities, one with no population or city hall and one with 8.1 million and a city hall.

If my simple suggestions don't work then I hope Monty has a better answer for you.

3. cjpavel

cjpavel Skilled Worker

i deleted ZZZ_Fix_For_Old_Shader_XXL, copied the new version of the mod ZZZ_Fix_For_Old_Shader_XXL 1.1 and KH_Playground_1st_V1.1 in the mods folder. Run Game. create a new city, I choose mod Amusement Park, and the game crashes. I enclose a list of mods set out at me, for the analysis.

Attached Files:

4. Monty

Monty Governor

Is this mod installed in the main paks/mods folder? It can't be installed in a subfolder as the description says. This mod should be loaded by the game after the mods it "fixes".

5. cjpavel

cjpavel Skilled Worker

File location
    v:\_STEAM_GAMES\SteamApps\common\Cities XXL\Paks\_MODS\ZZZ_Fix_For_Old_Shader_XXL 1.1.patch

6. Monty

Monty Governor

Try clearing the shadercache folder. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

OmniusPrime likes this.
  7. cjpavel

cjpavel Skilled Worker

shaderkache cleared folder, the problem persists

Register or to view Spoiler content!

8. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

cjpavel,
    I wonder if there's a problem with your mods folder name "_MODS". Could it be that the leading "_" is causing a problem? Can you rename the mods folder without the leading "_"? I looked at your mod list and wonder if the Blue Sky mod is causing a conflict or put that shader.fx file in the shader folder I don't have. I also see your new error log matches mine before Monty made his shader mod fix. Did you make sure you had new version of shader fix 1.1 file before firing up program?

Monty likes this.
  9. Monty

Monty Governor

it seems the fix is not having any effect and the shader in uokiok's patch is used instead. Are both mods in the same folder? Try renaming uokiok's mod to something starting with 000_ to make sure it loads first. I don't know what else could be wrong since it's working for me and Omnius. If it doesn't work let me know, I'll unpack the amusement mod and remove the shaders from it. maybe that would work.

OmniusPrime likes this.
  10. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

Monty,
    If you dig into the amusement park mod file could you also fix the missing characteristic screen problem? That would give us the ability to upgrade the Pirate Ship.

Could there be a semantics error if cjpavel has his mods folder named "_MODS"? I'm wondering if it could be something simple like the mod folder name not being standard.

11. cjpavel

cjpavel Skilled Worker

I place ZZZ_Fix_For_Old_Shader_XXL 1.1 into folder /mods, it also NOT helped. current location screen attached

Attached Files:

OmniusPrime likes this.
  12. cjpavel

cjpavel Skilled Worker

video, place the file, the game crashes

13. cjpavel

cjpavel Skilled Worker

the problem is solved! Thank you all for the help.
    the file is renamed 000_KH_Playground_1st_V1.1 and placed in the root folder (/_MODS).

p.s. Monty, Many thanks again, behind the work above mods.
    sorry my English :)

OmniusPrime likes this.
  14. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

cjpavel,
    I'm sorry my suggestions didn't fix your problem but am glad Monty's expert advice saved the day for you. (y)

15. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

Monty,
    I finally built my Monterey city to the point where I built the amusement park mod items to show off your awesome shader fix for old mods that crash. It's in the third segment where I show off my XXL version of Dennis the Menace park and Lake El Estero. I made sure to show off all three rides as well as other amusement park items from other mods plus stock ones in the game. I also made sure to explain your fine work at knowing what my error message said and how you got a fix in so quickly. Looks awesome thanks to you getting the amusement park mod working with your latest fix to this mod. (y)

16. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

cjpavel & Monty,
    Now I'm showing off my 4th video in the Monterey series. I've built up all 3 industrial areas and population is over 1.24 million. In my Monterey Magical Mod Mystery Tour I tell of how the new version of Monty's shader crash error fix file has helped to allow use of even more XL mods. I also explain how Monty and cjpavel helped me figure out how to get one old mod working that was causing frequent crashes to desktop. I deleted the mod but then restored it and renamed it to get it working so you'll want to see how I did that. I take viewers on a stunning visual trip inside one new mod building, you have to see it to believe it.

Many thanks again to Monty for suggesting earlier in this thread, responding to cjpavel's request for help getting the Amusement Park mod working, that the problem could be the sorting order of how the file was named. Then cjpavel came up with a solution using that helpful hint and added a 000_ (3 zeroes and and an underscore) to the front of the mod filename. That somehow loaded it up earlier and solved cjpavel's crash problem. I had the same problem with the XL Guangzhou TV Tower, many crashes to desktop and I hadn't even built the building except as a short test that I deleted. I decided to try cjpavel's trick and renamed that mod file with the leading 000_ and sure enough that did the trick. (y)

17. Monty

Monty Governor

18. secpol

secpol Governor

@Monty, It is better not with shaders, and the polycount exporter...

19. gcyzidane

gcyzidane Executive

Could you please fix this mods in XXL: New York, Art Deco Business Hotels.Thanks

20. Monty

Monty Governor

Try the file I've attached below. Let me know if it works for you :)

Attached Files: