1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Migration Issues And Decisions

Discussion in 'Website Information and News' started by IcyHot, Aug 21, 2014.

1. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

I bet two thirds of all posts could prb get dumped along with some members :)

2. The Funky Monk

The Funky Monk Moderator
    Staff Member

I just deleted a thread that had 3000 posts. The whole XL lounge could probably go. 17,000 posts in there alone.

3. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

It wouldn't bother me, that's a lot of crap posts 17,000 :)

4. Monty

Monty Governor

Fresh Start doesn't sound that bad either. I think the only thing that really worths to be saved are tutorials, xlex entries and cjs. I think if the comments on them get lost wound't be that bad. There are lots of threads asking the same things over and over. And maybe this is an opportunity to organize the technical help, tutorials and stuff.

5. Peter912

Peter912 Elite

Yeah I also think the whole XL Lounge should be gone. Also maybe the biggest part of "other games" topic. And I think the thread with last replies older than January 2014 aren´t also that important I guess.

6. Alex24

Alex24 Moderator
    Staff Member

I will do some cleaning now

7. Peter912

Peter912 Elite

Yeah I think that we should have one log post threads and stuff like that organize to one thread instead of millions;)

8. Ole

Ole Executive

yeah, we should have those threads sorted from the beginning, threads for logs glitches and that kind of stuff
    Btw, I suppose I have to ask a moderator to change my name? I forgot the capital :p (yeah, I care about that :rolleyes:)

9. Pamascus27

Pamascus27 Mayor

I was about to say that in the chat why you don't have a capital on your name like before but I thought it was your own decision to not include a capital letter.:p

Peter912 likes this.
  10. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

didn't read everything here :whistle:, but i guess it would be usefull if you can add more subcategories for tutorials like "gameplay" "technical" "modding" and so on (y)

11. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

Good point, they have been added

12. Pamascus27

Pamascus27 Mayor

Excellent Icy, now that will be helpful to many people including me!:D

Peter912 likes this.
  13. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

City Journal Issue on new site. Please look at my CJ entry I transferred over from XLNation (Old) as a reference. The system here is different obviously. Instead of City Journal Updates being scattered throughout the discussion, or the owner updating the original post, now City Journal Updates are actually "updates." I read through the whole Skamania CJ topic on the old XLNation, and created updates for all my entries scattered throughout that thread. Personally I like the new format for CJs. Any thoughts?

-- Sadly for now, CJ Authors will have to upload "something" to get the City Journal published. This is required to enable the "Post Resource Update" option.

-- The system has a max message size limit and max number of attachments. If City Journal authors just tried to keep adding to the main entry they will reach this limit. The "Post Resource Update" eliminates this issue.

14. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

i think we should try to keep some of the threads of the custom-content-forums like the facade hunters, gtaiv textures and so on.. there is some really helpful stuff around
    would that be possible or do we have to do this manually?

15. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

I am still planning to move the forums :)

16. veija2

veija2 Mayor

Love what you are doing here. If I can help with any grunt work pls let me know.

17. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

18. Monty

Monty Governor

Now that the old site is completely broken, what do you think about making the patch files accessible via FTP (or something like that) so we can download them and create the XLEX entries copying them from the web.archive.org old XLN site backup?

19. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

I wouldn't give out an open ftp, every tom dick and harry will abuse it. Hope you have unlimited bandwidth Icy?