1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Passing Reigns of XLNation

Discussion in 'Website Information and News' started by IcyHot, Sep 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm still working this out. Hosting and the domain won't be much of an issue. It's the yearly payment for Xenforo that I could not pay by myself at the moment. With help then it might be plausible.

Jotape, Mr.X² and Kitsunebi like this.
  2. eric_jeppesen

eric_jeppesen Skilled Worker

It's pretty sad to heard it, I really like this site and I really thought people play XL\XXL's reason is XLNation provide a lot of MODs. Beisdes, XLN give us a platform to show our cities in CJ. Without XLN it's hard to find another site.
    I can even say that without XLNation, CitiesXL\XXL will be DONE soon. I just a university student and I can not help much BUT PLS somebody TAKE OVER XLNation!
    I love this game and website and don't wanna see it disappear.

Mr.X² and selodinger like this.
  3. eric_jeppesen

eric_jeppesen Skilled Worker

In addition pls let me express my call for Chinese players:
    我刚刚在上面说:其实现在XL\XXL这个游戏能走到现在很大一部分原因是XLN的存在——它提供了MOD和向全世界的玩家们展示我们的城市的一个平台,除了XLN目前绝无仅有另外一家网站!
    SCCN只是面对中国玩家,而且你们也能看到SCCN里的绝大多数MOD无非都是转载于XLN,而且XL\XXL这款游戏很多很多绝佳的城市作品都是出自于XLN。如果你爱着这款游戏,请想想办法留住这个网站!
    反过来想一想,如果没有XLN网站为这款游戏做出的贡献,让这款游戏显得更加真实和富有色彩——XL\XXL系列——这个目前世界游戏史上绝无仅有能写实完美模拟景色的城市营造游戏,还会存在多长时间?(Cities:Skylines的画风过于卡通化)
    希望大家能尽自己的努力去维护它。

Dr. Wang likes this.
  4. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

Renewal fees for XenFORO is $80 USD. On another note maybe some one wants to contact FHI and get them to take over this site?

5. Dr. Wang

Dr. Wang Skilled Worker

I think FHI should be a last resort. It would be best for a current active community member to run it.

6. Monty

Monty Governor

The official forums have been full of spam for years. Their facebook page has been dead since XXL release. I don't think they'd give a shit tbh.

Jotape, Lokentaz and kipate like this.
  7. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

So the $140 is the first charge only. Extensions are only $40 and then add the extra's $40. It's sounding more doable now.

8. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I couldn't believe the amount of spam that forum has built up. FHI must never look at the forum. If they cared for the product they would so it show's they have lost interest with XL series. Until they need another cash cow that is.

9. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

I am also transferring my license of XenForo with the domain name, so all that is needed is the $80 for the upgrade that expired in August 2016. There will be extra fees I think for things like the chat program (only one I can think of right now) if you want to keep it upgraded to current versions.

Jotape, Dr. Wang and kipate like this.
  10. Wibi

Wibi Elite

I'm more suprised at the fact that the creators or even former game creators aren't on this site. Like 0 support. Its like they made and gave their baby up for adoption the moment it came out of the hell hole that is FHI.

Jotape likes this.
  11. nicknick

nicknick Governor

I can't offer any administration help dues to lack of time but i 'd be willing to be paying an annual subscription or fee or anything.

I understand that the issue here is dual: mostly time constraints and secondary some costs.

I sincerely believe that the cost issue can be surpassed. . . ( i mean we seem to be having 32,000 members?? srsly? where are all these people on voting or are they only resource collectors or just one time voters vanishing after?? grr anyway :cautious: ) one way or another i sincerely believe the annual costs could be gathered if 1% of these members offer a little something!! We could probably have an annual fee like $5 or something ( srsly. . . 5$ is nothing ) and leave it to the will of the member to offer more. . . Gosh! with 300 - 400 active members we need as little as $ 3 - 4 for the costs to be covered. . . or am i getting this whole wrong?

I think the issue here can be time constraints for anyone getting the job done and aligning with real life requirements.

Anyway, back to the issue, i 'd be willing to pay an annual fee or subscription or call it anything if this could help getting the problem solved.

Wibi likes this.
  12. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

A subscription to be able to access the resource area could be possible. Its been done in other forums. Depending on the amount of active users as nicknick said, the costs could be easily covered few a few dollars.

13. kipate

kipate Governor

A donation pack with a fixed amount of money to be donated, like 2 USD (not sure how much that is in kiwi dollars :D ); I first thought that a donation pack would be meaningless, as e.g. an unwilling member could ask a donor to pass the patch files. But why would someone who already donated do this? I mean, the donor was willing to support the site, I guess then the donor does also see the benefits of such a donation project.

14. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

A points system could also be used where you build up enough to gain access and how many things you can download. If it was at a sensible amount then it would encourage more members to participate on the forums etc... Then there would be the payment of a few dollars to gain immediate access. Simple but effective.
    There is a subscription service built into Xenforo from memory (haven't used it for a while) and the points system I think was built in. I was using Xenforo in it's early years so it may of changed or got better.

15. nicknick

nicknick Governor

Let's keep it simple. Donation or "fee" or "subscription" and at a low cost. Or let's say a "minimum cost".
    If it was $2 then you 'll have to pay at least $2 to be able to download or of course more if you want.

I sincerely think the notion that "because it is a community" everything should be free. . . is not a good one. I mean, yes, a subscription or donation system is not paying the resource creators but helps keep the system running. There are fees involved.

At the same time, a points sytem, like let's say if someone is submitting resources that are meaningfull could provide to those contributing a free pass. . . those creating resources and giving all their creativity to the site. . . even if they 'd be the most willing to donate, these people should really get a free pass even if we are talking about peanuts.

BUT: I don't think it's the costs that is the problem here. Running a site takes time. Managing it takes even more.

We have to be able to find a way to keep the site running and this has nothing to do with costs but with time needed. . . Bottomline all resposnibility eventually falls on the head of a single person and this is a great burden. Yes, it brings joy, yes, it brings a sense of community BUT it also brings responsibility and need for time for the person running it.

So, the question for me is WHO or which set of persons to be able to manage it and run it properly ? not the costs.

IcyHot has already done a wonderful job. . . he brought the place back from the d*e*ad. . . but he wants to go on to oehter projects in his life and this is absolutely understanadable.

16. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Well I'm pretty much ready to stick my hand in the air and say, me!
    I've got the experience in running a site/server/hosting and have used Xenforo. If we all stick together to protect XLN I think we will be fine.

Mr.X² and ronrn like this.
  17. Lokentaz

Lokentaz Governor

Hi everyone

I'm ready to contribute financially. I have no idea about the global cost but I'm ready to give a substantial contribution.

18. veija2

veija2 Mayor

I would pay a membership fee to be part of a well managed site. Would there have to be an agreement with FHI before selling access to mods for a product it owns? In any event, keep it simple. Maybe a choice between an annual fee or a download charge.

I totally support skullz' bid to host xln. If there is a cost involved, which I am up for, I would want to know more about site management plans.

19. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

could help with administration if needed but i dont have any knowledge about webhosting/server and stuff nor i have any money as a poor student...
    anyway, im not a fan of fees or sth, id rather support a donation pack to keep the site running like we had on the old site (and if thats not enough id prefer commercials)

however.. @skullz613 just say what u would need to take the site over

kipate likes this.
  20. txf0101

txf0101 Vagabond

Can you close the site later? I just joined the website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.