1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Passing Reigns of XLNation

Discussion in 'Website Information and News' started by IcyHot, Sep 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

A little help with the hosting fees (for the next years renewal fee) and help covering the support and upgrades access for the Xenforo software and extensions (media gallery, resource center etc...) The domain name is yearly but I'd cover that.
    The hosting I'm looking at is $19.88 for the first year then its $78.88 a year. It will give us plenty of time to build up funds.

I'm pretty much keen to step up and help as I have mentioned to Icyhot.

They would be no changes regarding the site layout and current moderators etc... Probably will ask for a few more members to help if they would like to. I found when I was running my forum, it was good to have moderators from various timezones so there was always a mod available if there was any issues. We have been pretty lucky though and have not had to much spam.

2. Monty

Monty Governor

Maybe voluntary donations could be enough to keep the site running, and if you pair that with a donation pack I think it will do. I'm willing to colaborate in both ways. I personally don't have any problem with an annual fee but I don't think it's inclusive and defeats the purpose of an open community.

In the case of the fee I don't see any legal problem since you'll be charging for the access to the site not for the content. I don't think FHI would care about the donation pack since it has been done in the past and they never cared. I'd be surprised if they do because they certainly benefit from it one way or another. But I'd like to point out that the old donation pack didn't have a price tag.

Lokentaz, Drazicdesign and Mr.X² like this.
  3. kipate

kipate Governor

True that. But when you have three members giving like USD 50, then you reach the donation probably quite quickly without more people gaining access to that limited donation resource.

4. Monty

Monty Governor

it's not supposed to be limited.

5. kipate

kipate Governor

Hmmh, yeah, okay, I understand the thought behind, I guess one could make it "unlimited".

6. xSchmitterSx

xSchmitterSx Unskilled Worker

Greetings, i'm from Belgium ... i don't understand a thing about building hosting websites ... but if i can help by donate money to keep this alive i love to ... only one problem because of my status i'm not allowed to have/get a Visa card. My status " risk case due healthy issues " in Belgium is some kind of costumer law to protect costumers and providers of visa (master) cards ... because of this reason i can not activate a paypal account for me.

Anyhow, if there are other Europeans those who have paypal and/or visa (master) card system, i could writ over money to that european's account, so he or she can sign it over to XL Nation ...

XL Nation is my first (and only) game i ever played ... so i hope i can do this for many long years.

Drazicdesign and Mr.X² like this.
  7. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

I would like that the whole site "XL NATION" remain open access,

For my part I am ready to participate financially.
    No problem

Thank you very much "skullz" to pamper our baby!

EDIT :
    @skullz613 we await your instructions,

8. secpol

secpol Governor

Paid subscription? Very funny, considering that the game is not popular among gamers.
    Leaving only lovers of beautiful cities? How many these people?
    All internet lives by advertising, website should make money. How much advertising site? How many links on partner site? Mismanagement?
    I understand that in your countries high income it all looks like a hobby, why did not immediately think where it leads? What a childish innocence. And there are countries of which it is impossible to transfer money.
    And the second question, will have to pay site moders for uploaded content on the site?
    It ends on one scenario, which is not the first time repeated, again and again.

9. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

If I take over, it will stay as donations (the same system Icyhot was using) If donations don;t work then we will need to look at all other possible avenues to cover costs.

Advertising will most likely go ahead and if so, there's two ways of doing it.
    1. Aim it at people not logged in.
    2. Create a subscription service to not see ad's.

I'd prefer option 1 as will most members.

Lokentaz, OmniusPrime, Mr.X² and 2 others like this.
  10. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

The domain name XLNation.city was registered for 5 years, and its only 1 year into the name. Annual XenFORO renewal fees are $80.00 plus any 3rd party modules such as the chat program, so maybe another $50 max.

OmniusPrime likes this.
  11. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

skullz613,
    Thanks so much for stepping up to the plate to host XLNation.city! Many thanks to IcyHot for hosting this site! This sure helps alleviate the fear that this fine website will go down soon and Cities XL and XXL would become ghosts of history.

I'm willing to donate but I couldn't donate to IcyHot because I don't do PayPal and have no intention of setting up a PayPal account for only one transaction to donate to here. Please allow us other ways to donate, I would be willing to send a check or money order to the person hosting, or do a credit card payment but credit card payments allow thieving banks to steal money.

12. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

IcyHot,
    Thanks so much for hosting this website! (y) Sorry to see you go but thankful that you allowed for enough lead time to find another host.

Monty likes this.
  13. Monty

Monty Governor

You're going to be missed, Icy. Thank you for all the work done on the site (y)

selodinger and kipate like this.
  14. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I hope Icyhot still hangs around after the change over. He's done a heck of a job keeping XLN going.

Monty and OmniusPrime like this.
  15. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm sure something can be arranged. Maybe you could find another member who lives near you who has a paypal account?

OmniusPrime likes this.
  16. Kurtis Edwards

@skullz613 My partner works for A2 Webhosting here in Ann Arbor. Not sure if thats all figured out, but it might be a place to look.

skullz613 likes this.
  17. selodinger

selodinger Governor

@IcyHot thank you for everything sir.
    @skullz613 good luck with your administration.

skullz613 and Mr.X² like this.
  18. Thrangar

Thrangar Skilled Worker

@IcyHot thank you for everything sir.
    @skullz613 good luck with your administration.

A big second on this /\ and I too am willing to continue to donate.

I think I have always used a prepaid never had to get a paypal account?

19. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

Thranger,
    A prepaid what? I would like to donate but have never had reason for a PayPal account. I'd like to donate without having to get a PayPal account.

20. Monty

Monty Governor

You can make a transfer from your bank account to another bank account, but the bank may charge you a fee, specially when the reciever is overseas. Or you can send money using something like Western Union or alike, which is usually cheaper than sending it through a bank.

OmniusPrime and kipate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.