1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions And Problems Of Modelling

Discussion in 'Modding Help Quarter' started by bobqwerty, Sep 7, 2014.

1. pauliaxz

pauliaxz Mayor

Monte Cristo was for Max 2008, for 2012 it is Cities XL Viewer / CXL Exporter ... etc... can't remember exact name

2. Tortuga

Tortuga Unskilled Worker

I am using Max 2008.

3. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

untitled1rpq5s.jpg

if it doesnt appear, try to reinstall cxl-viewer

4. Tortuga

Tortuga Unskilled Worker

like I said, I tried reinstalling it, and like I said, I use Max 2008.

5. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

and do you use cxl-exporter for 2008 or 2012?

but id like to suggest to get max2012 ;)

edit: just had a look and cxl-exporter for 2008 isnt available anymore (here and @focus website)

6. Tortuga

Tortuga Unskilled Worker

Aitortilla's BUILDING MODELLING TUTORIAL said to use 2008. So I did. Among the many thingies that I've downloaded there is one named "CitiesXL_ArtistToolSuite2012" and another "ArtistSuiteSetup.exe". This second one says Artist Tool Suite (Build 10.2.0.10) and it shows the MonteCristo logo when installing. Is this what you refer to as cxl-exporter for 2008?

7. pauliaxz

pauliaxz Mayor

This is for Max 2012.

@ Tortuga. Install the second one - Artist suite setup

BTW, that tutorial is quite old so it's reffered to Max 2008. But anyway it's in many ways better to make models from scratch in 3ds Max than importing from Sketchup

8. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

it says so because its an old tutorial. you can use 2012 as well of course, its almost the same, just some things improved. you can get it for free at autodesk-educational site..
    CitiesXL_ArtistToolSuite2012 is only compatible with 3ds max 2012 ;)
    the other one, i dont know...

9. Tortuga

Tortuga Unskilled Worker

OK, thank you very much! I'll check 2012.

10. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

@Nogerivan yeah only furnitures handle opacity. meaning if you want a transparent gate or hand rail build it as a separate furniture object. then place the furniture like you do others. You also need to select the correct shader type - furniture_tansparent_v1 for it.

@Tortuga, not sure, make sure you install in one for max2012 if that's what your using, follow the instructions and try again.

11. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

Just means some of your faces are outside the unwrap UVW box window area (Edit UVW's window).

as for shadow, maybe you need a base/ground? not sure could also be a graphic issue with your game/pc.

Nogerivan likes this.
  12. Nogerivan

Nogerivan Governor

the shadow problem caused by I did not choose the shader in cxl param ..lol. the building also looks like a strange object
    thanks nicko for the transparancy explanation, it would be very useful

there are some furniture did not appear correctly, like this one
    xxx.PNG
    it flashes only at lod2/3 distance, but the other appear correctly...why is that happen?

13. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

I think monty created that satellite dish furniture. maybe it's bugged for lod1. Just use another one :) he created a few of them.

14. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

who else is in the know about this? us two so far lol?

15. Nogerivan

Nogerivan Governor

haha....though it was caused by me doing something stupid again
    well maybe it use a building as shader, that also happen when I try to add a another mod sgbin as furniture

16. Tortuga

Tortuga Unskilled Worker

My very first try. I wanted to create a 40x40 square with a wind rose texture.
    I spent a lot of time with the texture editing and placing and it looked good in Max but it looks very wrong ingame. Any hint about how to correct this? Thanks.

Attached Files:

17. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

1. go to "customize" -> "units setup" -> select "metric" -> go to "system unit setup" -> set 1 unit to 1 centimeters
    2. select your object(s) -> go to "utilities" panel on the right (hammer symbol) -> select "reset x-form" -> click "reset selected" -> go to "modify" panel -> right click "x-form" -> select "collapse to" -> click "yes/ok" if a warning pops up
    3. center your object to the max scene (0,0,0) and make sure it still got the correct size (if not resize it using select and uniform scale)
    4. go to "hierarchy" panel on the right -> click "affect pivot only" -> click "center to object" -> select "select and move" at the top menu of max -> right click it -> change z-coordinates to 0
    5. export your model to viewer -> save as .sgbin
    6. repack your patch file with the new *.sgbin file

if you need screenshots, let me know

Tortuga likes this.
  18. Tortuga

Tortuga Unskilled Worker

Thanks!!! This looks more acceptable now.
    I used the default settings in the EasyMod XL and just deleted the layout furnitures. Now how do I place this item in the proper furniture menu. I suppose I have to edit the <Tag> in .class with something similar to <Tag>Furniture;MSCUSTOM;GemCity;PRIVATE</Tag>

Attached Files:

19. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

Tortuga likes this.
  20. Tortuga

Tortuga Unskilled Worker

Thanks again, Mr.X²!
    I am making several squares but I don't want to clog my menus. How can I merge them into one menu item with upgrades?