1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Request of support

Discussion in 'XLN Watering Hole' started by benhur1967, Jun 7, 2016.

1. benhur1967

benhur1967 Skilled Worker

Hallo.
    I need help in order to import new models into Cities XXL.
    My mods are initially developed in Google SketchUp and I tried to export in fbx format to import them in Cities Artist Tool. But the viewer doesn't show anything.
    Also, I tried to use 3d Studio max8, but it seems impossible to find the plugin by Montecristo for the integration with the Artist Tool. I checked tons of documents, but unfortunately I cannot solve this problem.
    Have you got any suggestion?
    I am also available to open a collaboration with modders able to integrate Google SketchUp models into the game.
    I could send them my models and they could adjust them for the game, if they're are interested.
    What about?
    Many thanks in advance!

2. Monty

Monty Governor

Hey here you can download the old Artist Tool MEGA

I'm not sure if it works in Max 8, it was meant to be used in Max 2008, but it worths a try.

Mr.X² likes this.
  3. benhur1967

Muchas gracias hermano!

4. benhur1967

Hallo Monty,
    Thank you for your MEGA send, but unfortunately I cannot open my google sketchup files. The last chance could be download your version of 3ds max, but I am loosing my hopes. So I'd think to abandon this project to find more versatile game-modding platforms. Thank you very much for your politeness and kindness!
    God bless you!

5. Monty

Monty Governor

Does the Artist Tool work in Max 8? You can export your models from Sketchup to 3ds max using Collada (.DAE) format if your version of Sketchup doesn't export FBX files.

6. benhur1967

It does not work even with .dae format.
    In my 3ds max is not possible to configure the user interface with Montecristo's plugin. So I am blocked.
    If I don't find any modder who want to complete my models, I will give up. Thank you again, my friend!

7. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

u can either use 3ds max2012 then (could help u with that one) or a newer version.. but cant help u with fbx exporter (e.g. max2013 - 2017) since i never used it (and dont wanna do it cause i dont want to support xxl only :p ), but u can check out this thread Import FBX in Artist Suite especially the posts by @PaulJChris
    about doing it directly from sketchup to fbx-exporter: i think thats a bad idea overall (if it can work at all, i dont know) but anyway, u gotta make sure to meet the cxl modeling specifications (u can find them here: Tutorial - Cities XL Complete Technical Guide ). for example u gotta do ur texture maps in a correct (for cxl) way (no multi-materials, normal map, namings for ur objects, lods, ..., and stuff like that; u can find this in the technical guide). you can also check out some tutorials here Modding | XLNation - Cities XXL if u want to know more about the cxl-modelling workflow.

Monty likes this.