1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Saint Martin Island Map, City Building Contest, Fall 2016

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by IcyHot, Jul 30, 2016.

1. kipate

kipate Governor

To be honest, 9 are missing, I mean, I need to finish the damn garden first.

Jotape likes this.
  2. nicknick

nicknick Governor

Thank you Kipate for the good comments.

For those still to submit. Some "silly" tip:

Yeap... Things should be finished before submitting.... nevertheless... Speaking about myself:
    I had already submitted and checked things but i found some minor mistakes like spelling and also mispelling in a photo after submitting.
    Remember... Not sure how forum mechanics work but you do have a like 30 minutes time window to edit the post and correct some very very last minute things that may have evaded a check.
    I think this expires something 30 mins after and i assume after some other player submitts.

I submitted around 2am Greece time.. 1am Central Europe time which is pretty slow regarding European players submissions.

Wishing to all happy hours enjoying the map and submitting the best submissions.

Enjoy

3. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

you can still ask me icy or alex to delete your post before deadline is over and correct your mistakes or change your photos ;)
    but remember to backup your post before if u dont wanna rewrite everything
    PS: but no guarantee we are online a few minutes before it comes to an end :p

nicknick and kipate like this.
  4. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

That may or may not happen :)

nicknick and Mr.X² like this.
  5. kipate

kipate Governor

@IcyHot right now, feeling like SnoopDogg... "I just wanna make you sweat!"
    :ROFLMAO:

6. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

just wanted to say that id prefer if u guys dont use spoilers in submission thread ;)
    dunno what others think about it, but i think its easier to get an overview over all cities with all pictures without having to click on all those spoilers :)

nicknick and Jotape like this.
  7. nicknick

nicknick Governor

We may have to implement some additional suggestions next contest indeed.

I am neutral about spoilers but they DO break the flow of the reading, especially when more than 1 in a single submission. . . no real need to use multiple spoilers in a 10 photos thing.

It would be different if ALL submissions had each 1 spoiler under a common format. . .meaning a title and 1 photo at the beginning of each submission. . . then the following 9 photos of each submission in a spoiler. This way it 'd be minimum scrolling for a new reader, and having an overview of the whole competition in just 10 photos. We could think about it perhaps.

At the same wave of thinking i am happy none has still used thumbnails. . . they do steal a lot of the submission.

-----------------------------

May i also make a suggestion for a minor correction in the original contest rules?

"City Builders may submit up to 10 individual photos (no combining photos into a montage)"

should be changed into:

"City Builders may submit up to 10 individual photos (no combining photos into a collage)"

Meaning of the rule is that players should submit UP TO 10 pictures / photos. . . Arranging 2 or more photos in 1 picture is not allowed.
    So, collage is not allowed.

Montage is something entirely different and already used in 6 out of the 7 submissions.

Mr.X² and Jotape like this.
  8. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

oh yeah thumbnails, please dont use em, i am not that patient and wont look at them :p
    for some reason each thumbnail takes about 10seconds to load for me. full size pictures dont even take a second (well of course if its just one^^) :confused:

Jotape and nicknick like this.
  9. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

Nice catch, collage is a way better word

10. nicknick

nicknick Governor

Both French words. . . the French!. . . they do have their way with Arts and it's a good one for ages :LOL:

11. nicknick

nicknick Governor

Come on people. . . we need MOAR submissions in the Lions arena :)

Hungry for moar!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. RedZone19

RedZone19 Mayor

It's not like I wanna wait till the last minutes but I needed more time for landscaping. :love:

XOUSTE and nicknick like this.
  13. nicknick

nicknick Governor

(y)

14. BahadirB

BahadirB Governor

@kipate,

I didn't forget to submit the city, I just need to take a good-view pictures and do some "amateur" photoshopping. I hope to submit this weekend. (y)

15. kipate

kipate Governor

@Clemech4, your entry is fantastic, I love especially the inner town, and your compostion of buildings does make it look quite like some Greek city close to the Mediterranean Sea with lots of Ottoman influences. The thrid image looks perfect this way (y)
    Also, your idea for the castle's tower was quite clever. The same holds for these pretty small marinas alongside the coast.

The only critical point in my opinion is the darkness of the images. Sometimes it is hard to recognize the small lovely details you placed here and there.

Edit:
    As a comparison:
    Register or to view Spoiler content!

Clemech4 likes this.
  16. veija2

veija2 Mayor

Just ... gotta get ... that one last .... perfect picture. I'll post New Aille later this week. @nicknick and @Mr.X2 - thanks for the good advise.

17. selodinger

selodinger Governor

kipate likes this.
  18. nicknick

nicknick Governor

@veija2 You are welcome :) Always happy to advise. I really want to see your submission :)

@selodinger :) Don't be sorry. Tasty food needs good preparation. Same goes with good submissions hehehe

selodinger likes this.
  19. Clemech4

Clemech4 Ambasidor

@kipate Thank you ;) are there ancient Greece ruins near Kavala? i didn't notice it xD
    The pictures didn't look that dark to me but now you say it that's probably right, some pics are a bit dark, i don't know. I liked the scene with those cxxl skybox.
    I'm looking forward to seeing your new pictures for the contest, and the pictures of other players too of course :D

20. solo

solo Executive

I'm here, cookie as requested Cookie.png

skullz613, Clemech4 and kipate like this.