1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Saint Martin Island Map, City Building Contest, Fall 2016

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by IcyHot, Jul 30, 2016.

1. kipate

kipate Governor

Hmmh, I guess there are no original Scandinavian buildings given, that may be true. On the other hand, you can use e.g. the German Pack and other mods to resemble a Nordic Flair.

Crossbar! and BahadirB like this.
  2. BahadirB

BahadirB Governor

Well, I have just finished a city with the predominant use of German pack, but you are right. That might be a good shot for a unique city. Otherwise it is very obvious most people will go for Latin Pack and the Firenze pack, I suppose.

Now I gotta search and learn some features about the Nordic architecture! :sneaky:

kipate likes this.
  3. nicknick

nicknick Governor

I think we have all the tools we need. . .
    Assuming we are talking about Spanish / Mediterannean Sea / Caribbean city. . . well. . . it's more tools than anyone can use in 3 months lol and wonderful plentiful tools. Also for a Baltic Sea city. . .

Let's see what a Nordic style would mean. . . Bergen? it's definitely doable too. Bergen is a good mix of some Northern Europe architecture + some 80's architecture.
    Iceland? things are more difficult here but it's doable too with some compromises. . .

I think we have more tools than we could ever wish and an endless array of wonderful mods. How to use them to achieve a specific result is where the challenge is. . .

Originality will pour out of the way these mods are used in the city.

BahadirB likes this.
  4. BahadirB

BahadirB Governor

After checking the mods that hitherto I was unaware, yeah, I think we have a plenty of tools. I mean, we have Amsterdam Pack, most buildings can be used, similarly Russian "classical" buildings by Immort_al, and the low-rise buildings by Axel and etc. I should revise my conclusion above. Having taken a look at the mods that I didn't use, I am now very enthusiastic about building such a Nordic town.

I use the Nordic in a loose sense to mean the overal Scandinavian architecture, not Bergen in particular. I mean, Swedish, Danish, and Norwegian. Maybe, the Finnish buildings might be close to the Russian architectural styles, but I am not sure about that. I need to look up for that.

And thanks to Kipate's and your suggestions, I am now very determined to make a small island town in the Baltic sea between Sweden and Finland. And I hope I can make an original and unique contribution to the contest.

veija2 likes this.
  5. nicknick

nicknick Governor

Exactly as you say Bahadir

I can't wait to see what you 'll plan :)

I am also close to picking what i 'll go for. . . warmer climates i think. . .

BahadirB likes this.
  6. BahadirB

BahadirB Governor

Thanks.

I hope I can devote some time to the contest, we'll see.

By warmer you mean, like Mediterranean? When I first saw the map, my first reaction was that the map would make one great Greek island in the Aegean. If that's what you have on your mind, I really would love to see that. But you can keep it confidential as well :)

7. kipate

kipate Governor

Well, @BahadirB, regarding mods that can be used, here a little list of mods that I think could be useful in a Baltic Style City.
    Many of them will be XL mods, so I am not totally sure whether they work for XXL, but @Monty recently added a fix for XL shaders:
    General - Fix for old mods shader crash errors (XXL)

Personally, I would not use the Amsterdam Pack, it looks quite Special, to be fair...
    Register or to view Spoiler content!

Now to get back to the main point, cities, I feel obliged to post one image...

BahadirB and Jotape like this.
  8. BahadirB

BahadirB Governor

@kipate, wow! That's one serious listing, I am humbled by your comprehensive list. First of all thank you very much. After the earlier conversation here, I downloaded most of the mods you list under the both Baltic/Russian and Nordic/Scandinavian styles. As I said earlier, I feel it is very probable to make one such city.

With the Paris and Amsterdam packs, I mostly agree; some buildings in the Amsterdam pack, I believe, can very well blend in the arcihtectural styles I am gonna construct.

Thanks again, it's very nice of you to bring about such a comprehensive list :)

9. selodinger

selodinger Governor

Well, I started something sketching out on the island.

BahadirB likes this.
  10. BahadirB

BahadirB Governor

What kinda City do you have in mind?

I still cannot find the time to make early sketches of the City.

11. selodinger

selodinger Governor

I wanna build city like historical and vacational, like Ibıza Town. I meant just started building slowly when I said "sketching out". Maybe next day I'll post some pictures if I carry on.

BahadirB likes this.
  12. XOUSTE

XOUSTE Ambasidor

Well...
    My XL planet does not base on reality XD

cxl_screenshot_saint martin_13.jpg

Kitsunebi, Dr. Wang, Lokentaz and 5 others like this.
  13. selodinger

selodinger Governor

Liked it. Futurism does fit your planet as far as I can see. By the way, is that cruise ship terminal in the foreground? If it is, so creative!

Drazicdesign and XOUSTE like this.
  14. kipate

kipate Governor

Love your Harbour Project, @XOUSTE, I hope you can finish it, it looks huge!

Kitsunebi, BahadirB, XOUSTE and 2 others like this.
  15. Jotape

Jotape Mayor

Looks great :) I like the buildings your are choosing

16. XOUSTE

XOUSTE Ambasidor

Futuristic is my favorite style,i just realized that.
    The original interchange looks awful,i would consider rhm...oh,that would be alot of work to do.

cxl_screenshot_saint martin_14.jpg

Kitsunebi, Lokentaz, veija2 and 2 others like this.
  17. Jotape

Jotape Mayor

Looks fantastic :)

XOUSTE likes this.
  18. XOUSTE

XOUSTE Ambasidor

thanks,i do love the building you made,it fits my city(y)

Jotape likes this.
  19. Jotape

Jotape Mayor

Thank you (y)

20. Dr. Wang

Dr. Wang Skilled Worker

The city is starting up cxl_screenshot_newnan_0.jpg cxl_screenshot_newnan_1.jpg

XOUSTE, kipate and Jotape like this.