1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Saint Martin Island Map, City Building Contest, Fall 2016

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by IcyHot, Jul 30, 2016.

1. selodinger

selodinger Governor

Oh @kipate, thank you so much for the tutorial! :) Have a nice day.

BahadirB and kipate like this.
  2. Clemech4

Clemech4 Ambasidor

Nice cities over there!
    I like to see where people build their city on this map which have actually many interesting parts
    I also try to participate with a greek town which have a large turkish influence.
    I don't have a lot of time to work on it but fortunately this is on a island, so a small city will be fine ;)
    Register or to view Spoiler content!

3. kipate

kipate Governor

And don't forget some little boats/pedalos for pairs for that lake ;)

4. BahadirB

BahadirB Governor

Well, as a Turkish person, I utterly wish that your island would have been retained by the Greeks. So amazing with the chaotic and dis-organised urbanisation. I get the Turkish flavour. :)

selodinger likes this.
  5. kipate

kipate Governor

nicknick, XOUSTE, selodinger and 3 others like this.
  6. chenchuan

chenchuan Mayor

Wonderful:kittyroll:

XOUSTE likes this.
  7. BahadirB

BahadirB Governor

Unfinished quarters on their way to completion (Do not mind the black-box-cars, I'm sparing some ram while I construct the city).

nicknick, Clemech4, kipate and 2 others like this.
  8. Josephlonde

Josephlonde Unskilled Worker

What amazing cities!

9. selodinger

selodinger Governor

Nice rhymes man (y) The main port is nice too.

BahadirB likes this.
  10. BahadirB

BahadirB Governor

Thanks, actually it's not the main harbour, it's the harbour of a fishing village in the northern part of the island.

selodinger likes this.
  11. veija2

veija2 Mayor

Got a small contender started, New Aille. It seems to be coming out more pastoral than I'd originally had in mind. We'll see. Not much time these days to get my head into the game.

Pepino, nicknick, kipate and 5 others like this.
  12. selodinger

selodinger Governor

Nice city you've got there. Hopefully you'll finish the city before the deadline.

13. XOUSTE

XOUSTE Ambasidor

One month left !
    im just about to finish the CBD.
    Many of the people dislike placing high-rises on an island map due to the reality,but im the one who is gonna break the rules lol,just imagine how beautiful would it be like after i finish the whole project.

101.jpg

Pepino, nicknick, Lokentaz and 5 others like this.
  14. kipate

kipate Governor

Good work @XOUSTE!
    Who said that islands could not have lots of people? I am planning a city with more than 100,000 inhabitants as well :)
    List of islands by population density - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

@BahadirB, I really love that little fishing port, one can see that you invested some time into it, good job (y)

Some close-ups would be cool, @veija2, but I can sense your usual way of building, so I think we can expect a great result, as always ;)

Here my recent progress, city is having about 50,000 people, so I guess I will end with about 300,000 inhabitants at the end, but we all know that the game puts too many people into new houses :p

For the people saying that the harbour looks a bit big, all I can tell is that a city of 100,000 people on such a small island needs to import a lot of stuff via ships and ferries and airplanes. If you're still not satisfied, maybe go around Corsica, France, by Google Earth, and have a look at the huge ferry ports and docks in some of the small towns there (and Corsica has only 320,000 inhabitants, so just 3 times as much as I plan to have as a "real-life" number of people for my city):

Mr.X², nicknick, Lokentaz and 7 others like this.
  15. BahadirB

BahadirB Governor

Thanks @kipate , I already admire your city. The shoreline, the harbour, they all look way too realistic and great.

And I really invested a real deal of time to that tiny village; it's good that one's work is appreciated like this. I have another village; which I invested much more time than the village. Hopefully it's gonna be a tranquille settlement as well.

With regards to Swanö, I have completed the city, and almost done with the two villages, and the small - and not looking very good - airport in the north is in service. Yet, I am at a loss how to fill up the transitional gap between the city and the villages; the northern part is full of agricultural fields but the southern part - the outskirts of the city Alhamn - does not look realistic. I have established a few good and time-consuming parks, but I'm really at a loss. I do not want to keep the urbanisation going up, as the current number - with the stupid numberisation of the game - is around 130,000. In my opinion half or third of this number is good for the population.

If you have any suggesitions, I'd be glad to hear any. Especially to make the island "more rural" and "greener."

Pepino, nicknick, Lokentaz and 3 others like this.
  16. selodinger

selodinger Governor

I just said "holy shit!" when I clicked the spoiler button :)

BahadirB likes this.
  17. selodinger

selodinger Governor

@BahadirB what a beautiful panorama this is. I should congrulate you about completing the city. (y) About building rural areas, you should watch some top resources in CJ section.

BahadirB likes this.
  18. selodinger

selodinger Governor

By the way, I took a break building my major city named Alter Town in the island. The airfield is alrady completed. Just started building other towns and rural areas. Haven't named the town yet, it has approximately 3000 inhabitants and still unfinished. I'm open for any ideas and suggestions. Here is the example

19. BahadirB

BahadirB Governor

The town looks good. However, the airport needs some fine tuning, I suppose. No matter how small an airport is, I think it needs a decent yet short taxiway. On the space between the industrial port and the airport, you can establish warehouses, or storages to make a smoother transition between the harbor and the airport. :D

Of course it's up to you but, in my very humble opinion, I would not place agricultural fields on an inner island. Unless you are going to cover all the remaining parts of the lake with fields, it just doesn't look right for me. :unsure:

The town looks good, but I wouldn't wanna be one of the residents, it would be way too much uncomfortable with the planes taking off and landing. :)

selodinger likes this.
  20. selodinger

selodinger Governor

Thanks for the suggestions man. I searched simple airport on Google and found this. :) Yeah, the airport needs a decent taxiway. Designing airport is killing me:( About inner island: I don't like inner island, once I complete rural and forest areas, the inner island is going to be disappered. It was my aim. Also, I wanted to build simple sea port, I don't think I'm going to build anything around the port. You right about the houses I'll try to offest a bit far from airport. Maybe you should become a resident in Alter Town, it's far from airport after all :D

eric_jeppesen, nicknick and BahadirB like this.