1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Saint Martin Island Map, City Building Contest, Fall 2016

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by IcyHot, Jul 30, 2016.

1. veija2

veija2 Mayor

@XOUSTE, I really like the urban flavor of your city. You do urban well, and obviously you know how to break the rules in ways that amaze. I had expected New Aille to get urban more quickly, frankly, but it it dragging it's heels. I can't quite yet see where the high density areas are going to develop. Hopefully I'll get there while there is still time in the contest, eh?

@BahadirB, brilliant also. All the hard work you mention putting in - it definitely is paying off. You city looks great.

@selodinger, you've got some nice component parts going - the city, the airport. I'm looking forward to seeing how you bring it all together.

Your images striking @kipate. As usual. Your city looks interesting, the port is grand. Who's to say what the transportation needs of this island are, or whether it serves just this island or an archipelago? Oh yeah. You.

I'm glad you like how New Aille is developing. I'll get some closeup pictures posted, as you suggest. BTW, what is my usual way of building again?:sneaky:

2. kipate

kipate Governor

So, thank you guys for all the compliments, it means a lot to me :) I think that most of the time is invested into handling all the no collision buildings such that I don't have (too m)any windows being split in two.

So, @BahadirB, now you are forgetting to add a (maybe smaller) church to the other parts of Swäno?
    The Alhämn District really is big enough to get some small/medium-sized church. Don't forget that we also have a lot of church mods here:
    Religious | XLNation - Cities XXL
    Landmarks | XLNation - Cities XXL (The Landmark Category contains a lot of churches, too)

I know, the style is not always looking Nordic, so you may not choose any church.

And don't take it too serious ;)

Regarding your wish for suggestions to make the city look greener, I say you are on the right track (y)
    But maybe add some conifers, to have a Nordic look. And maybe put some of the coloured (yellow, orange, red) maple trees there one by one.

Also, pay attention to the number of highrises! Even Stockholm does have only a few highrises. And only 3 buildings are taller than 100 metres.

And regarding the transitions between the city and the fields: put some small industry there, e.g. a group of those old style T1 heavy industry buildings (the brick buildings with the chimneys). Also, what about a larger cemetery, does a city not need it (that will take a lot of time, though). Also, European Cities do place their civic services mostly outside, so you could put some waste facilities or power plants in between. What about a prison?
    An army/navy base? A group of buildings that forms some mental asylum? Some sports fields for a football club maybe? Or a chateau with a nice garden?

@selodinger, I agree with Bahadir saying that the airport deserves some fine tuning. Invest some "love" into building it ;) And if it shall be a small airport, then only add small airplanes, maybe a Boeing 737 at most.
    Maybe have a look at the Airport of Honiara, Solomon Islands:
    Register or to view Spoiler content!

It is nothing complicated, but still it has its charms. Maybe add some nice terminal by putting together some no collision mods. But if shall be small, then stay small and don't add oversized terminals :p
    And maybe put some places for really tiny Cessnas there (e.g. for a flight school).

And I love that roundabout, @selodinger (y)

@veija2, I think your style is that you often add groups of 3 to 4 taller buildings into a district of lowrises. Mostly, those are modern highrises for residential purposes. Looks a lot like Brickell, Miami, Florida, USA (but maybe on a smaller scale).

And you are apparentely investing an enormous amount of time into decorating the coastline either with realistic looking natural areas or simple but effective promenades/marinas.

Not to mention your lovely plazas that resemble squishy animals ;)

That may be not anyone's taste, but I love it.

So, just some suggestions :) :D
    And you don't need to follow them.

3. selodinger

selodinger Governor

@kipate thanks for the suggestions. The spoiler is decent example (y), It's gonna be edited if I can get into it. Well, the roundabouts have removed my problem of creating junction, thank you again.

4. Lokentaz

Lokentaz Governor

Thanks for all these nice previews of your cities. Everybody is on the run. I'll try to post some pictures of mine which is at a early stage. I could have more time now as I lost my 3ds max 2012 student version. I'm sad because I took a long time to train myself to make mods and now I can't. Life's a bitch!

kipate and BahadirB like this.
  5. veija2

veija2 Mayor

Ohhhh, that. I thought maybe you might be referring to road systems that conform to geographic features, or my tendency to have distinct neighborhoods of different style buildings mingled close together ...

I confess. I am addicted to squishy animal plazas. But what are your suggestions?

BahadirB likes this.
  6. kipate

kipate Governor

Ah, well, your animal plazas are unique ;)

The suggestions phrase was more meant for Bahadir and selodinger, though. Maybe I should have pointed that out.

BahadirB likes this.
  7. veija2

veija2 Mayor

As requested. (y) Please excuse any unfinished areas. WIP

8. kipate

kipate Governor

Ah, I like that large square, and also the district with the red-roofed houses, looks splendid! Only thing I am not sure about is the width of the street, 25m looks enormous!

Anyways, some late images by myself (there is one recent harbour district overview in the media section, too):

9. Clemech4

Clemech4 Ambasidor

Another picture of Decaios showing the old town:

veija2, RedZone19, BahadirB and 5 others like this.
  10. kipate

kipate Governor

Ah, the little town within the walls looks lovely, and I am really a fan of your buildings choice for the outer areas, well done (y)

11. Clemech4

Clemech4 Ambasidor

Thank you, i got inspiration in the city of Kavala mainly ;) Your city is very nice too, and the port looks so real :)

12. selodinger

selodinger Governor

Working on my "new" airport. The older one was a bit weird, and today I started to rebuilt the airport.

13. BahadirB

BahadirB Governor

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, they are valuable as they give an array of ideas to expand the city.

With regards to the churches, you are absolutely right. There is only one church, in the western part of Alhamn, apart from the ones in the historical centre.

@kipate, among your other suggestions; they all sound good. I think I can go for them except the military/navy base. I am not a military person, so a military camp/installation would really upset my Swedish residents :)

Yet, a small football stadium, there is already one in one of the northern villages, at the outskirt of the city, the cemetary, and the scattered old industrial buildings might really make the city "more realistic." I have already started a large park outside the city, not with a chateau but with an old (royal) pavillon, which serves right now as the library of the Alhamn University.

Finally a mental asylum idea is just perfect! We are on an island with no chance for the lunatics to escape! I really like that idea! Thanks especially for this! :finger:

It's been a few days, I haven't had the time for the city, hopefully I can at the weekend.

kipate likes this.
  14. RedZone19

RedZone19 Mayor

Excellent work everyone, I can see that you are enjoying yourselves. I wasn't quite motivated in participating at first, part of it because of studies, part of it be that I'm doing portraits for my grandparents. And all of a sudden, I wanna do it. Like, right now... I haven't built a stick since mid July, hope it's not too late. :love:

veija2, kipate, XOUSTE and 1 other person like this.
  15. Kitsunebi

Kitsunebi Governor

Good luck, RedZone ;) and all the others: your cities look really nice! Like the contests before it is interesting to see the many different styles and approaches which always inspire me to adapt something to my own cities :D

I especially like kipate's city - it's so filled with detail that you have to look carefully at the pics not to miss anything!

Besides I always find it funny how everyone encourages the others to build more and better stuff although this is supposed to be a "contest" *g* keep it up folks!

PS: I started a city on that map, too, but I'm not sure about taking part in the contest this time... ^^

16. kipate

kipate Governor

Ah, you ass-kisser, @Kitsunebi :p ;)
    Okay, all jokes aside, folks, but Kitsunebi here has already started to make a fine Asian city. He is just too shy to post it :D

C'mon, @RedZone19, still enough time to make a great city :)

I think you are on the righ track now, @selodinger (y)

selodinger likes this.
  17. BahadirB

BahadirB Governor

I devoted (or wasted, depending on the perspective) my dull and boring Sunday for the inner island of Alhamn. :cautious:

selodinger, XOUSTE, Lokentaz and 4 others like this.
  18. nicknick

nicknick Governor

Wonderful, wonderful

As far as i can see it's small roads entering, so you may want to put a gate too there, not necesarilly from the wall set you used. One of the gates addon is perfect from small roads.

In real life this castle would be a huge revenue bringer for every city that had it :dm9:, so well done!

BahadirB and kipate like this.
  19. kipate

kipate Governor

What abou your own City, @nicknick?

@BahadirB : I like the density of the castel town, it really adds to the medieval atmosphere.
    The buildings choice was quite wise in my opinion. But pay attention with the town back to the castle, on the other side of the lake:
    Try to orientate the buildings onto the direction of the lake (and hence the castle). Who would not want to wake up, look out of the window, and see that beautiful Castle?

BahadirB likes this.
  20. nicknick

nicknick Governor

My city? :sneaky:

:dmc7:

We 'll see. . . struggling to go on with it but we 'll see

BahadirB and kipate like this.