1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Show us your Airport areas ..

Discussion in 'City Photos' started by APXHTEKTON, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Kitsunebi

Kitsunebi Governor

Sometimes it feels like being more difficult to build smaller airports. I really like the way you kept it small and still realistic! The area in the front is some kind of military air base? ^^

kipate likes this.
  2. kipate

kipate Governor

Thank you :) I have to say that it was the first time that I used these ploppable taxiways, and I have to say that it makes things easier, at least when you can build the airport fully on land :D
    Yeah, it is indeed a US military base. The idea behind is the following:
    I want to create some Caribbean island nation close to Belize and Honduras, with a few large islands and several small islands. Of course, I don't know the exact number, as I don't know how much time I will have to build :p my idea is that since this group of islands has been unified as some British colony, there has always been a rivalry between the two largest islands.
    When the colony declared its independence from the United Kingdom within the 1970s and formed an own nation, politicians chose to move the capital to this island that you can recognize in the image (it is part of the Island Pak IV by ronrn ;) ). That island is located in between the two largest islands, so that move was a compromise. Now of course, the government of the new nation was in need of a capital airport that was large enough to accomodate medium-sized jets. Hence an agreement with the USA was signed, in which the US offered financial support in exchange for being allowed to place some military base onto the island.

TLDR: group of islands became independent from the UK, new capital on small island as compromise for rivalry between larger islands, no money for new capital airport, agreement with the USA, money in exchange for military base.

3. Kitsunebi

Kitsunebi Governor

Sounds like a good story!

I WANT THE EXACT NUMBER OF ISLANDS!! :ROFLMAO: ...joking!

kipate likes this.
  4. kipate

kipate Governor

If we combine our islands, we will already have two^^ ;)

5. Kris2604

Kris2604 Executive

Here is my airport in my fictional city of Zgorzelic. Still not fully finished. It has a small old terminal, built in the 60s and a new one, to support the heavy traffic, generated after the building of the CBD in the city. cxl_screenshot_krislovsk_55.jpg

6. kipate

kipate Governor

Very good work! It looks quite realistic to me (y) just two things:
    1) I would use another tarmac for the apron area. For the taxiways close to the runways, the black tarmac is fine, but for the apron area, I would use the gray airport plaza. Do you have that mod by joues? Otherwise I can send you the file ;)
    2) I miss some kerosene tanks close to the apron area. Think about that the tank trucks have to drive there and get the kerosene. In your case, they would have to leave the actual airport area^^

Kris2604 likes this.
  7. Kris2604

Kris2604 Executive

Thanks kipate, really appreciate your comment.
    1) no I do not have it, where can I have it?
    2) I will rework the position of the kerosene tanks, thank you for the advice! (y):)

8. kipate

kipate Governor

Should be this one, under Plazas ;)
    MEGA

9. Jotaere

Jotaere Mayor

Well... this is the huge airport of one of my unfinnished cities. A lot of embellishmet is needed yet, but it looks really good.

Register or to view Spoiler content!

You can see the MAIN TERMINAL has four areas, two for arrivals and two for departures, international and national.
    The old terminal was built in the late sixties, before the city became the national economic center, and, because of this, the city now counts with its own Aircraft Development Facility.
    The cargo terminal is so large because of the country's mediterranean nature.
    The International Convention Center appears downwards to the right.

I really hope you like it as much as I do.
    ¡Saludos desde Bolivia!

Drazicdesign, Mr.X² and kipate like this.
  10. kipate

kipate Governor

Wow, splendid job on that airport, looks fantastic! I love your planning skills, it must have taken a lot of time, but it was totally worth it (y) The main terminal has a fabulous design, and the runways and taxiways look overly realistic, together with the green area in between :)

Nonetheless, there are some things I dislike, but don't worry, I still love it :)
    1) I think the observatory is a bit out of space, that antenna will make it difficult for airplanes to takeoff into that direction^^
    2) in general, some of the plazas around the cargo terminal look a bit too wide, at least in my opinion. You have like 4 to 5 taxiways for only 17 parking positions, that's quite a lot more than you would need :D Edit: I will check the "Mediterranean nature" of cargo terminals^^
    3) do you plan to decorate the area between the concourses at the main terminal later? It is all gray plaza, you could add some parks maybe? ;) And maybe some decoration, if the computer can handle that^^
    4) what about a general aviation terminal? Right now, you seem to have only charter flight terminals :p I mean, businessmen will probably want to use some smaller private jets or even propeller aircrafts ;)
    5) will there be some decorative commuter train connecting the city and the airport?

Jotaere likes this.
  11. Jotaere

Jotaere Mayor

Kipate! It's always an experience to read your reviews... really like them.
    I hope I can be as eloquent as you are to answer your observations:
    To start:
    Well, :oops: I think that give pilots endless nights of coffee and chatting... nah! I'm an ass... haven't realized... but will be building some corrections.
    The idea of having that number of taxiways is associated with the frequency with which planes are landing or departing. This is related with the "mediterranean nature of the country" wich means "it is a country without maritime coasts", like my real country, Bolivia. I thought that a country like this can't depend over the goodwill of its neighbors, because that encourages political and economic blackmail and geopolitical dependence. This imaginary country of mine is totally independent and doesn't need to be helped with its weaknesses... :D
    You know... i had another computer, wich was very powerful and supported large cities with tons of decoration... Unfortunately, the one i have now has a very simple config. :cry: But i really want to continue building the city and its airport...
    The old terminal is now meant for private, executive and institutional usage.
    Since the airport is placed in a very mountainous city, only public busses get to it.
    Ok, I'm about to publish another series of pictures of another airport... I'll be waiting your keen eye observations.
    Thanks a lot.

12. Jotaere

Jotaere Mayor

This was the airport of my city for the Floro Norway map... It was meant to have a 1970's style...

I always try to give airports a very realistic shape, especially in terms of the configuration of runways and taxiways, although, it's true, sometimes I exaggerate with the amount and size of them.
    ¡Saludos!

13. riscoo

riscoo Executive

Your airport looks just amazing, congratulations!
    Especially the decoration, i think it is very beautiful. Which are the red/orange/yellow/white plazas?

14. sadiemydog

sadiemydog Executive

kipate and Jotaere like this.
  15. Kitsunebi

Kitsunebi Governor

Isla de San Sebastian International Airport:
    San_Sebastian_03.jpg

kipate and Drazicdesign like this.
  16. kipate

kipate Governor

Another lovely OWP airport of yours!
    It seems quite functional, though, only a few palm trees. Maybe some more flowers would add atmosphere? I mean, the tourists love flowers, you know? ;)

Kitsunebi likes this.
  17. Kitsunebi

Kitsunebi Governor

Thank you... :) well yeah, maybe some more decoration (y)

18. ronrn

ronrn Governor

flowers = bees/insects = birds = bird strikes

Kitsunebi, Drazicdesign and kipate like this.
  19. kipate

kipate Governor

The bird strike that happened to the plane flown by Captain "Sully" Sullenberger didn't happen because LaGuardia was so lovely decorated, not? :D ;)

Kitsunebi likes this.
  20. ronrn

ronrn Governor

so true :LOL:
    however trivial though, airports frown on any flowering vegetation (esp flowering grasses)

kipate likes this.