1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

The "Gonaives[戈纳伊夫]" City Building Contest

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by IcyHot, May 27, 2015.

1. kipate

kipate Governor

Yes, that problem with the difference in height is nearly unsolvable...
    One thing to avoid changes in height was using the Over Water Roads by pharmist.
    But that only works when the terrain has not been changed much before...

2. Ammar Shaker

Ammar Shaker Elite

i'm joining in just for fun, not to win :) i know cheaters gonna buy/fake votes like the last time :LOL:

3. Ammar Shaker

Ammar Shaker Elite

Here we go, looks terrible i know :D just an idea

intersec1.jpg

kipate and skullz613 like this.
  4. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Looks better than my attempts at RHM. I gave up with it a long time ago.

5. kipate

kipate Governor

Ah, c'mon @skullz613 ! There are brilliantly understandable tutorials here for getting to know
    the RHM mod. And I mean, you could just make some kind of terminal exit to some
    countrywide highway network; the city is on a peninsula, so that would even be realistic :)

@Ammar Shaker it may be simple, but it is still effective :)

skullz613 likes this.
  6. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Ha ha. I've read those tutorials and even watched the vid's but mine still turn out looking like preschoolers artwork :)
    I'll get the hang of it one day.

7. kipate

kipate Governor

Well, in case you only want to have highways with 2 lanes each direction, you can work with the in-game
    15m wide roads and later replace them with highway constructions. That should work
    even with curves etc. ...

skullz613 likes this.
  8. george_azur

george_azur Unskilled Worker

Hello guys,
    I am a new guy here and I would participate too if you like my first attempts of a city I am calling Saint George
    I am planning to build a part american part asian city. It might be some european buildings now and there. But that's because many of the american designs were inspired by europeans especially in 19 century.

Here is how it looks so far:
    cxl_screenshot_georges_8.jpg
    Some street levels:
    cxl_screenshot_georges_6.jpg cxl_screenshot_georges_5.jpg cxl_screenshot_georges_4.jpg
    What do you guys think of this attempt?:
    cxl_screenshot_georges_0.jpg

Or this park:
    cxl_screenshot_georges_1.jpg

If you like it so far I would finish.
    At the moment the lack of time and these random crashes from mods that probably aren't compatible with XXL are killing me. Don't you have the same issues?

9. kipate

kipate Governor

10. Ammar Shaker

Ammar Shaker Elite

Hi George, i copied one of your intersection haha. the only deference is im sticking a train rail into it.
    cheers
    cxl_screenshot_bay la sun_0.jpg cxl_screenshot_bay la sun_1.jpg cxl_screenshot_bay la sun_2.jpg

george_azur likes this.
  11. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

#george_azur
    Its looking good :) Some mods are not working properly on XXL so if you are unsure of one, it would be better to test it in a new city and not in your competition one.

12. kipate

kipate Governor

working on the (new) airport right now :b29:

gamescreen0001.jpg

Edit: yeah, CXL is fun, always fun :p
    Need... more... aprons... fuck the what :b1::b15:

Ammar Shaker likes this.
  13. ronrn

ronrn Governor

When will the "Official 2015 Gonaives[戈纳伊夫] City Contest Submissions" thread be posted? junction.jpg

14. Ammar Shaker

Ammar Shaker Elite

gosh, i'm sooo copying this :D

15. kipate

kipate Governor

You must ask @IcyHot , @ronrn , for more information about the time when the submission thread will be posted ;) But I think roughly at the end of August...
    Btw, that interchange looks great from the concept!
    But it is really using a lot of space, too, isn't it?
    Maybe you could create another exit within the circle?
    Or place some more park area and pedestrian paths there?

16. shoemaker

shoemaker Vagabond

17. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Thanks guys,
    -Actually, this interchange takes up less space than any other RHM interchange I've been able to build so far, which was my goal when I came up with this one. For me, size is one of the biggest challenges with RHm, especially when building "loops" and curves and making them look realistic. I can only manage 2 or 3 interchanges on most maps and still have room for a decent sized metro area. Tried many times building a cloverleaf the same size as the default game highway cloverleaf. I can't even come close to getting one that small.

-I wanted some parks/natural areas in the center, but I wasn't happy with any of the default or mod plazas, got frustrated with it and moved on to someting else.

-I'll try to build another one and post some screen shots of the building process. I can rarely get any two interchanges to turn out the same.

18. ronrn

ronrn Governor

About the subject of the "Official 2015 Gonaives[戈纳伊夫] City Contest Submissions" thread:

-Presentation is a key factor in the city building or any other competition. I'm for some sort of standardization of the entry presentations pertaining to 'suggested' image sizes, use of thumbnails and/or spoilers and such, and maybe a brief tutorial/instructions on how to use this forum's tools. I only manage to stumble through my postings when it involves posting images without mucking things up. Hell..I do good to get a smiley inserted.
    -I'm even for individual threads for presentations, sort of like CJ's. That's a lot of images to scroll through in the one competition thread. That way too, more than one entry presentation at a time could be opened for comparison or just plain easier viewing.
    anyways, just my 2cents, good luck to everyone:)

19. cbisson

cbisson Unskilled Worker

re: ronrn,
    For plazas under highways, set the expand width in the .class file to something under 30. I used 12 for most spots, but had to increase that to 20 in spots. See the pic with an American Coniferous Forest (Lex) under the overpass. Once you've got your plaza down, it won't change if you reload after making changes in the patch. And yes, it was quite frustrating to figure out.

plaza.png

re: anyone,
    Is there a difference between Furniture and trees in terms of render distance? I have both mine set at 100%, but as you can see in the picture, gravestone furnitures disappear while trees much farther away are still visible. You can see under the arrows that they are fading out, and then there isn't any more visible although I planted them. Is there something I can change in a file to make the visible at greater distances?

disappearing headstones.png

20. kipate

kipate Governor

Yeah, you can try to change the visibility, I think it was something like TrulyAlwaysVisible
    in the Class File... maybe ask @Mr.X² , though, he may help you!