1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

XXL Realistic Highway Mod 2 2.5

XLN_XXL_RHM2_pitty_xlnation_staff-v2.5

1. Sellec

Sellec Vagabond

Is there any chance to see 5lane bridge?)

and, one more. Mod has 4->3+2 connector, but no 3+2->4 connector. Can we see it too?

Steven H. Endermann likes this.
  2. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

This is not planned at the moment!

3. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

I got this working but am puzzled at how you establish direction. Just build it in the way you want it to run? Plus I'm not seeing how I get it running side by side coming from the map edge. Once I lay one side it doesn't want to let me lay the other adjacent but much further down. Looks very interesting. Sad it doesn't play well with the core highways.

4. Pepino

Pepino Mayor

Yes, just lay it in the direction you want it to run.
    The RHM doesn't support intercity links very well, so, if you need a highway connection, lay a short stripe of the original highway, use the connector and start the RHM.

OmniusPrime likes this.
  5. Steven H. Endermann

OR pause the game while putting in the highway. You'll need some room, but you do not have to use the in-game highway.

OmniusPrime and Pepino like this.
  6. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

Pepino,
    Thanks for confirming my guess that we lay the highway in the direction of intended travel. Thanks also for confirming that I should use original highway to do an off-map connection. I'll have to practice with it for sure to get all the different connections figured out.

7. Pepino

Pepino Mayor

Hey, check the option of pausing the game as @Steven H. Endermann suggested - it actually works in many situations, e.g. placing several tourist hotels (the tourism resource gradually disappears as you place the hotels, so pausing the game you can place more of them)

OmniusPrime likes this.
  8. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

Pepino,
    I always pause the game when building things, then I let the clock run to see them finish.

9. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

Steven,
    Yep pausing the game is always the bets bet when building things, especially roads and highways. Thanks for the suggestion.

Steven H. Endermann likes this.
  10. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

I would like to use this RHM mod but have reservations regarding it's usefulness to move traffic. I found it doesn't play nice with the core game's elements. In the picture below I wasn't able to capture the "not connected to city hall" error icon with the F11 screenshot and couldn't figure out how to do the Alt-Gr + F11 to get the interface. However in my live game the core game's cloverleaf intersection doesn't connect properly to the city hall and you'll see that in the video. I had the cloverleaf intersection properly connected on all 4 sides and each connection was connected to the map edge or avenue connections. It was properly connected to the city hall. I wish I could use the cloverleaf intersection as the RHM alternative shown on the Overview page is a waste of space and too convoluted.

gamescreen0003.jpg

I then did a major test in my city of Sacramento, replacing a good 2/3's of my core highway with the RHM highways. I did a video on this test and you'll see the before results in the third segment with the actual changes in the 4th. I was disappointed that my heavy flowing traffic on the core highway section didn't carry over to the RHM mod section. I'm not sure if my test was problematic in that I replaced core highway rather than built the RHM highways from the start. I want to use the RHM mod in my next city but am worried it won't move traffic well enough.

I also lament that there is no way to build the cloverleaf intersection with RHM as there are no elevated 4-lane highway connectors. Plus without the XL mod that allows for no pillars it seems rather tough to recreate the convoluted example shown on the Overview page. Plus I wish there were 4-lane highway connectors that went to the left, both on and off ramps. In the video you'll see why.

I sure hope that Drazicdesign will watch my video so he can see the problems I had in trying to use the RHM. I love being able to connect highways to avenues with RHM where I can route them to both sides. I do hope that I'll be able to see some kind of proof that the RHM moves traffic in heavy volume on the highways and that it just doesn't look pretty.

11. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

Good Vidéo!

All I can say is that the "RHM" asks the dexterity and experience to be fully used.
    As shown in the pictures below, you can see that we can do a lot of freeway interchange

Image of the city of Savannah Bay by Sanshy
    Of Génération City

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Pepino

Pepino Mayor

Hi there,
    Make sure that the highway "brings" the traffic in - all the segments must be in correct orientation. I have a feeling that your cloverleaf is not connected because you seem to have used incorrect connectors. At 6:58 you see three 4-lane roads that bring the traffic to the intersection become 3-lane. The conversion should happen from the rightmost lane.

[​IMG]

OmniusPrime and Drazicdesign like this.
  13. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

Although seen Pepino!

14. Pepino

Pepino Mayor

Also, you can test the functionality by drawing bus lanes - build a bus station, then a bus stop before a bus would get on a highway (cannot build on the highway) and one after leaving it. If the line is built, then your highway system is working. If not, you should see where the problem is when the game stops drawing the bus line as you drag it.

OmniusPrime likes this.
  15. Steven H. Endermann

Your interchanges are so clean! I try to make mine that way, but they either don't work, or they are huge.

16. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

Drazicdesign,
    Thanks for answering but you missed the point of my concerns. I understand the RHM allows for more variable designs of interchanges, but my concern is traffic flow. None of your pictures shows me anything about traffic flow.

I'm not interested in pretty designs, my only interest is will the RHM handle heavy traffic? Can you show me pictures of actual traffic flow like I was showing in my video? Can you show me the RHM traffic flow for a big city that shows it's being used? I'm hoping to get this important concern answered before I get to the point of building a highway system in my new Paris city once I'm done testing stuff. I'm hoping to avoid building an RHM highway system only to find what I found in my Sacramento test, that it actually doesn't work at moving traffic.

What I'm looking for are pictures of traffic flow along an RHM highway system, showing yellow, orange or red colors proving that it's moving a lot of traffic. I was disappointed that in my Sacramento test the heavy traffic flow from the core game's highway died out quickly along the RHM highway. I'm hoping it was just the condition of the test trying to replace the core game's highway system rather than creating the RHM highway system from the beginning from when we can put in a highway system.[/QUOTE]

17. Pepino

Pepino Mayor

[/QUOTE]

Hi,
    Yes, it does handle traffic well. Even the 1-lane roads have capacity of 320 cars/minute.
    It doesn't work in your city because you used wrong piece - instead of 4>3, you used 3<4 in opposite direction. The RHM is only one-way system. Change it and you will see the traffic will start working.
    Good luck

OmniusPrime likes this.
  18. OmniusPrime

OmniusPrime Elite

Hi,
    Yes, it does handle traffic well. Even the 1-lane roads have capacity of 320 cars/minute.
    It doesn't work in your city because you used wrong piece - instead of 4>3, you used 3<4 in opposite direction. The RHM is only one-way system. Change it and you will see the traffic will start working.
    Good luck[/QUOTE]

Pepino,
    I just tried your suggestion about replacing the 3<4 connector with the 4>3 one and that fixed my cloverleaf connection problem. I'll now go about trying out the replacement in my Sacramento test to see if that helps resolve the problems there. I really want to use the RHM mod and now I know I can use the cloverleaf interchange rather than having to go nuts trying to make a convoluted interchange to cross two highways.

I do see the rate of flow on the pieces but I'm still hoping to see heavy flow in one of my tests. Or in a picture. I'll also try out your bus test. Will buses change routes to a more efficient one after a change in highway systems? Or do we have to basically delete all businesses to let them regrow to get traffic to change?

Thanks!

19. Drazicdesign

Drazicdesign Ambasidor

20. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Keep in mind that game traffic will take the shortest route, just as in real world.
    This can be a huge factor in traffic patterns.
    Get rid of any short cuts.
    In your road layout you must design it to "force" traffic to the highways.