1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Bob's Projects

Discussion in 'Projects' started by bobqwerty, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Pamascus27

Pamascus27 Mayor

I agree with X. But other than that, looks pretty nice @bobqwerty
    You did an awesome job, can't wait (y)

2. Peter912

Peter912 Elite

I totally agree with Pam, you did a perfect job there(y) And you also chose a T1/2 office which we lack.

3. mst.matias

mst.matias Unskilled Worker

Woooow! Can´t Wait!

4. bobqwerty

bobqwerty Executive

I’ve conducted some experiments with my first mod pack as I was intrigued by some variables in-game, mainly the camera settings. Since I was fiddling with the game files I thought ‘L2‘ and 'L3' were too close to ’L1’. It’s something you notice with the ‘Camera Mod’. No drama though. If you pan the camera up close you still can see it, what makes it sort of useless is when you scroll down your mouse zooming out.

I've made two dif per building. One High resolution 2048-bit for up close and one SD 512-bit over distance (L3 or L4). I'm using the same maps from LOD1 for rf, sp, etc. Their name in the map slot follow the name convention, but the PNG is the same. My question is: Why do some models show L3 or L4 as if it where L2 on some models? I think it's due to engine not recognising the L3 Diffuse maps, but I'm not 100% sure.

The last 10 days I've been making some minor adjustments to the maps and correcting errors. There's little to do, mostly finish LODs, reduce complexity as much as possible. As you can guess by simple math, the LOD1 at the back has 1200 triangles (L3 -right- with 700 tris is deprecated). It has the higher tris count. I've done the L3/L4 dif map by-hand in photoshop (I didn't flatten LOD1...). At least it allows more granurality (like the drop shadow effect to fake depth instead of a lm). Other two buildings have 300 tris L3. I'll see if I can reduce it a tid bit and forget about L4. :kittyroll:

LODS.png

5. mst.matias

mst.matias Unskilled Worker

Can´t wait for de office pack! Very useful! Good work (y). The Stadium seems very interesting! I hope see it soon in the xlex!!!

6. Nogerivan

Nogerivan Governor

maybe that is depend in the building size or something, smaller building already shown lod3 but the bigger one may still in lod2....I'm not sure too
    You can preview Your lod in viewer..there is a lod slider at the bottom left

7. PaulJChris

PaulJChris Governor

Sometimes a small model will have Lods 1 and 2 identical if it is well within specification. Also some modders are lazy and dont bother to make all of some of the lods. It is tedius but it is also vital to ensure a decent gaming experience for everyone.

8. Spock

Spock Executive

yeahh those are needed more :D
    what you mean by 2048-bit resolution?

9. nicko2u

nicko2u Governor

I think it's better to have same maps for L1,2 and 3 - then use a small 256x256 dif, ILL map for L4. L4 should be very low poly thus the smallest maps.

I agree with Paul the reason some models don't show LODS is because the modder didn't bother to create them = bad :)

Though saying that sometime I might create the same L1 & L2 or L2 & L3 if they are very low poly and within spec.

10. bobqwerty

bobqwerty Executive

11. Steven H. Endermann

Hello, /u/bobqwerty. I am sure that your new mods are going to look great-just as good as these ones. Maybe, could you make some older-style offices, too (not necessarily all W2W-just for some variety)? I am sure that a lot of people would find some use out of those.

12. bobqwerty

bobqwerty Executive

Besides a few other projects, I have a second Small Office Pack under wraps as you may have guessed. :p I would release this as two separated paks but I decided to classify them by style. Having said that, some buildings are at very early stage. If it interest you, there will be a 'part I' with "Neoclassical European" buildings, much like SMP1. Then there will be 'part II', with Modern (or high tech) Offices.

...W2W mostly.

13. Nogerivan

Nogerivan Governor

great, more medium buildings are much needed..
    by the way...what is SMP1 ?

14. Steven H. Endermann

Thank you for making so many medium-density buildings. They look great in downtown areas.

15. bobqwerty

bobqwerty Executive

My acronim for 'Small Office Pack 1'. Now it's a series. :cool:

16. Nogerivan

Nogerivan Governor

I had 1 office model half finished, I'm too lazy to make it..
    diffuse and lightmap texture applied. I'll send it to You if You want to finish and add it to Your series...

Attached Files:

Radiant Dawn likes this.
  17. bobqwerty

bobqwerty Executive

Well, I don't know if I could do much. I could try. I could reduce the poly count, make LOD3/4 for you or craft some textures in PS if it's ok to you. What's missing? LODs, bp, sp and rf?

18. Nogerivan

Nogerivan Governor

You can upload it as Yours...You can do whatever You want with it, or if You not able to finish it, better then it just sitting around on my hard drive I think.
    it only had diffuse and lightmap, LOD1/2 and 4
    I'll re render the lightmap first as for now is still in low quality setting and watermarked..I'll send it to You when I'm home for You to lookout and let us see what have to do with it..