1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Cities XXL Mods Error... baffling

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Count Adolfo, May 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Count Adolfo

Count Adolfo Vagabond

Hello, everyone. I'm new, here. Just got the game. I apologize if this is a long post, but I want to make sure I'm thorough in my explanation, to avoid someone suggesting something I've already tried. I really need a solution to this problem.
    I had played XL, and liked it, so decided to try out XXL. I had never added any Mods to my XL, so, I decided I would like to try to play XXL with them.

Well, I installed XXL, and then went to the Steam Workshop. I was blown away by how many Mods there were... 146, I believe, and I thought many of them looked awesome. I subscribed to a bunch of them, then I installed the game (I had already purchased it, but not installed it) and tried to play.
    It said that I needed certain mods to make other mods work correctly.

I came here, and downloaded the Community Mod, because that was the one I noticed my selected Mods were calling for. I put it in the Mods folder and went to play. Again, it said there was an error, as certain mods require other mods to work.

I got frustrated and went and subscribed to every single Mod on Steam. Now, surely, I had whichever ones were needed to make whatever other ones work, right? It even made a Mods 2 folder, there were so many.
    Only... it still didn't work.
    It gave me the same error.

So, I went in the OTHER direction, unsubscribing to every single Mod, and tried to play. The only Mod left in the folder, at that point, was the Community Mod. Still, no dice.

I went in and removed the Community Mod. I tried to load the game. Still giving me an error saying my Mods were causing a problem. Mind you, at this point, I had no Mods, left.
    I uninstalled the game, and reinstalled it, fresh. Still, didn't work.
    I then uninstalled it, again, went to SteamApps and eliminated the Mods folder, entirely, for the game. Then, I reinstalled it, brand new... with no mods... and it still won't run.

Any ideas? Anyone know how I can make it stop telling me I have Mod issues when I don't even have any Mods installed?

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

2. Mr.X²

Mr.X² Moderator
    Staff Member

*Moved your thread to a fitting forum.

First of all, getting cxl mods from steam is not a good idea. Better download all from here, thats more save.

If your game does not start after a reinstall, make sure to remove ALL cxl-related content from your hard disk. Means:
    1. Uninstall the regular way
    2. Delete all cxl related files and folders from e.g. C:\Programfiles\CXL
    3. Delete all cxl related files and folders from C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Focus Home Interactive (dont forget to make a backup if you have savegames in there you still want to use)
    4. not sure if you have to do something additional in steam since i dont use it for cxl; someone else maybe tells you

Once youve done this, reinstall the game and check if it starts.
    a) If not, please post your latest log file. Here is how to do this: All-you-need Tech Thread
    b) if it does, download community mod from here Dependency - Cities XXL Community Patch and place it in your paks folder (no subfolder of it)
    b.1) if it still starts, keep on adding mods (not too many at a time!) and keep checking if it still starts. Make sure to read instructions of every mod: some need other mods to work or a different installation procedure.
    b.2) if it does not start, just remove the latest mods or read the log or post it. It will most likely tell you what the issue is.

3. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member

Just adding onto Mr.X²'s post, don't forget to put all the other dependency mods in your mods folder also. Note that XXL uses a paks folder but the mods go into the mods folder. Bit different than the older XL versions.
    As told above make sure the Community Patch is in the root of the mods folder. Also put the dependency mods in there so they load first.

I have attached my complete list of mods I use and the folders they are in. As far as I have tested all seem to work OK and I very rarely have crashes.

Oh and as advised, keep away from the workshop on steam. Not only are there out of date mods but there are some real crappy ones on there. I gave up using it. Better to have all mods here where we can easily support them and control what's available.

Attached Files:

4. Count Adolfo

Count Adolfo Vagabond

OK, so, I finally got to sit down and try to do this. Firstly, I'd like to thank you both for getting back to me, and for your help, but... I am still getting the same error.
    I found the log files and there are only three:

[12:04:05] CORE mcFile.cpp ( 198) Error can't open file data\config\gembeachscenarii.cfg
    [12:04:05] SIMTOURIST pesTourismParams.cpp ( 179) Error pesTourismParams::LoadScenarii : Can't load <data/config/gembeachscenarii.cfg>
    [12:04:06] LUA csScriptManager.cpp ( 523) Error zzz_mapsavemgr.lua

They are the same three in every single attempt listed to open the game.
    I hope this helps solve the issue. Getting very frustrating.
    thanks, again

Attached Files:

5. Count Adolfo

Count Adolfo Vagabond

So... no solution ideas?

6. skullz613

skullz613 Administrator
    Staff Member