1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

Saint Martin Island Map, City Building Contest, Fall 2016

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by IcyHot, Jul 30, 2016.

1. selodinger

selodinger Governor

Another picture from me. Still building...
    Register or to view Spoiler content!

2. kipate

kipate Governor

3. giorgoselsedai

giorgoselsedai Governor

An early capture with airport, seaport, refinery, docks, power plant and manufacturing facilities.

4. Lokentaz

Lokentaz Governor

I begin my city. I hope I will persevere because I'm rather slow in building my cities. :sleep:

BahadirB, selodinger and kipate like this.
  5. IcyHot

IcyHot Administrator
    Staff Member

Looking good everyone, should be a great contest. The map is a winner

Lokentaz, BahadirB, kipate and 2 others like this.
  6. BahadirB

BahadirB Governor

My CXXL suddenly got so slow even opening the game, I got rid of that, and started Swanö - a Swedish island - in CXL Platinum. A Swedish city without trams would not be so great anyways.

As usual, I started with the centre of old town. It's just a beginning though.

selodinger and Lokentaz like this.
  7. selodinger

selodinger Governor

Looks decent. So, are you in this contest?

BahadirB likes this.
  8. BahadirB

BahadirB Governor

Thanks, I'm up for the contest. We'll see if I will be able to finish by the deadline though.

selodinger likes this.
  9. selodinger

selodinger Governor

Here some pictures of my contest city, actually smaller one. I'm gonna build a few towns or villages in the island.

skullz613, BahadirB and kipate like this.
  10. BahadirB

BahadirB Governor

I am very slow dealing with the details of Alhamn, the major city on Swanö Island. With me being so slow, maybe I might go for the best "rural," "green" or "historical" city.

selodinger, nicknick and kipate like this.
  11. nicknick

nicknick Governor

That's going well. I like the way you have started organising it.

Castle location is a no brainer. . . well done.

Also the waterfront is looking good. All in all this is the way a town there would probably evolve through the centuries. . . medieval castle in a protected spot, then a 18th - 19th century part on the sea, out of the walls. . . then a more modern part as i see it at the bottom of the photo.

I am not very sure about the train station for two reasons:

a) not really sure what a commuting train is doing on an island.
    b) i don't get the location of the station. . . it's on a hill. . . usually stations are on full flat parts of the terrain, anywhere in the world.

If i was keeping a train on the plans, i 'd probably do it on the flat areas, mid left part of the photo. . . still it's a question on an island except if if if etc. . .

All in all it looks good and natural and it seems right on track :)

BahadirB likes this.
  12. BahadirB

BahadirB Governor

Thanks for the encouraging words. When it comes to the castle, it's a no brainer to be honest; but sometimes the simplest is the best one, so I am taking my shot here.

I like to demonstrate the historical ages the city has witnessed throughout the centuries, like my previous city Ardemica.

To be honest, I am not very convinced with the railroads anyway. I thought of making up a story of an earlier source of raw materials, which might have justified the tracks, but it's not a colonial landscape, it's a tiny Swedish island.
    But I thought the use of railtracks might brought about a positive reaction from the audience. I mean, the absence of railtracks could backfire as well. And the exact spot of the station is not good, I tried to connect the seaborn and railborne transportation, but it seems weird, I agree.

It seems like, the train station is gonnna take its place in the dusty pages of history. :)

13. nicknick

nicknick Governor

Yes, yes, no brainer is said as a good thing of course :dm2:.

The castle is at a very logical place to be and i like its location.

BahadirB likes this.
  14. nicknick

nicknick Governor

Look. . .
    Regarding the train. . . i fully understand what you say about what people here expect to see. And yes, if someone posts something with a railroad it must be something convincing, otherwise it 'll be like the airports we see from time to time with loads of A380's sitting there and a 1100 meters runway facing to the city. Grrrrrr. . . .

The problem / question / issue with train at this comp. has nothing to do with your city of course. In my mind, someone has to be convicing since this is an island.

Islands do have trains. . . it can be a huge port or a densely populated area. . . Staten Island NY for example does have a commuting train and it's not built up with skyscrapers from left to right. . . so it's always a matter of analogies and how things are done i 'd guess.

I would not eliminate it. I just underline it's a hard part for this comp if people are not willing to put the effort to make it correctly.

Edit: Staten Island commute train :)

BahadirB likes this.
  15. nicknick

nicknick Governor

As for location. . . it can be near the port, it may not need to be. If it's a commuting train it can be other side of the city and some cargo line and a small cargo station being there for just port use.

All in all i like what i see.

BahadirB likes this.
  16. kipate

kipate Governor

@BahadirB, you can smoothen your roads by using Pharmist's Over Water Roads (bridge menu) first and then replacing them with the common roads.

Also, I find the number of big churches a bit irritating, to be honest. On the other hand, I am maybe too much into realism... it's a game, after all :p

@nicknick, you can edit your posts ;)

BahadirB and selodinger like this.
  17. BahadirB

BahadirB Governor

Well, my original idea was actually to establish a commuter train. As it's gonna be a low-density-population island, I was thinking of a few train stations (one near the industrial harbor, and one at the airport, and a few occassional commuter stations (on the outskirts of the city).

I am making up my mind thanks to yours and others' comments, I am not sure how much I can do but I feel like I am up for the effort to make it correctly. So your suggestion of relocating the station to the northwestern area of the city sounds okay, and perhaps I can establish a central bus station next to the passanger harbor, which would make it more realistic in my humble opinion.

selodinger likes this.
  18. BahadirB

BahadirB Governor

Thanks kipate, I might have missed that mod, that's my bad. I was having some difficulty after getting used to Drazic's mod for smoothening German roads for the XXL.

I am into very much realism as well, but I never thought about the number of churches. I suppose, two churches in the medieval castle are too much; one is enough; but I'd like to keep another one beyond the city walls (but still in the city centre), and it's very difficult to get a good-textured yet not so "huge" church, I'll take your suggestion into consideration! :)

Edit: And I am not sure whether it's worth or not but kipate, I like the city you are building!

kipate likes this.
  19. selodinger

selodinger Governor

Kipate, this is excellent city.(y) I believe, the harbour is gonna be perfect and these roundabouts are so smooth. Any tutorials for making smooth roundabouts?

BahadirB likes this.
  20. kipate

kipate Governor

If you cheat and unlocker all buildings, you may find the St. Nicholas Church ;) it is smaller and looks quite generic.

Ah, thank you, @selodinger (y) Seeing your city, I believe yours is going to be fantastic, too!
    Also, here the link for the media: sp | XLNation - Cities XXL look at the comment section of the media, there the author posted a video tutorial. You do need a no-collision mod for the streets, this one: Changes - Small Collision Box Mod
    Try to experiment with the mod, before you put a roundabout into your city!

BahadirB and selodinger like this.