1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you are going to register on XLNation, please make sure you do not use a proxy server.
    If you use a proxy server your registration will most likely get blocked due to spammers and hackers using proxy servers to hide their real IP address.

If your using your home or work IP address and have not received your registration email, check your spam folder.
    PLEASE DO NOT ASK TO HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT DELETED IF YOU HAVE POSTED IN THE FORUM! If so we do not delete accounts due to the mess it can make on the forum.
    Dismiss Notice

CJ Seddly Done

The Cultural Metropolis

1. SOUL Productions

SOUL Productions Executive

SOUL Productions submitted a new resource:

Seddly Done - The rust of survival meets the modern era.

Read more about this resource...

2. kipate

kipate Governor

Hey @SOUL Productions ,
    I first have to say that I really liked some of your previous entries,
    especially the Minocco Area CJ was fantastic!
    I have admit, however, that this city here looks a bit inconsistent
    from the building style that you chose:

1) it looks NOT like a Northern African City: Libya may be full of chaos nowadays,
    but before the war, the cities there never looked similar to the images of your city!
    Just google for Ras Lanouf or Benghazi, then you will see what I mean.

2) your argument may be that the game and the current mods do not opt for
    African cities. Well, that is not fully true: togehter with the Jakarta Pack
    and the Latin Pack, you can recreate African cities lying below the Maghreb.

I see that you used them a lot, hence I would opine that your city should resemble
    rather a Sub-Saharan city. But here, you could still improve a lot.
    E.g. choosing other roads, fir instance some road mods by Alex24,
    especially the Transportation - Rural Road | XLNation - Cities XXL .
    Also, I would avoid those truly Asian buildings with their large advertisement,
    or at least try to get rid if the ads via Photoshop, GIMP, Paint.net, ...
    or use billboards to hide them...
    Another point was to avoid those heavy industry facilities with all the chimneys.
    It is not that Africa does not have such, but they have not as many as your city.
    Import that heavy industry tokens...

3) if you really want to recreate a Libyan City, then you need to place more modern houses that have a flat roof.
    And then you should not use those Jakarta Pack buildings.

4) if you want to create a Northern African city that was situated e.g. in Algeria, you need to have some
    Arabian elements, too, e.g. more mosques, some bazaars, and probably a whole medieval town
    (Medina).

5) regarding the map itself, I would suggest the use of Over Water Roads by pharmist, in case it works with
    XXL. If you want just streets without parking lots, you could instead place those over water roads,
    they usually aren't giving these steep parts...

6) you have Google, you can look at the images of thise cities and then try to choose the buildings :)

3. SOUL Productions

Thanks for your suggestion and much appreciation on your detailed review. I will try and take all of your suggestion into consideration and apply them to the city. I was hoping to use those exact roads your talking about however they have some serious conflation issues with some of the XXL mods so unfortunately I am a little limited in that aspect. I was also wondering if you personally use any tactics when placing mod and roads together throughout a city. I have noticed in XXL the game will crash a lot less if you do not place 2 mods over top each other. However this limits the W2W aspect that brings a dense urban area together. I have some good filler tiles but it would be awesome if you have any other suggestions that can bring this together even more. Thanks!

4. kipate

kipate Governor

I guess I have not that experience regarding XXL,
    hence maybe @ronrn or @veija2 can help you with tactics regarding
    roads ;)
    They are both really experienced when it comes to XXL...

5. veija2

veija2 Mayor

I miss over water roads in XXL too. Lowering custom bridges to ground level works sometimes. Sometimes evening the water's edge with a small ped path or expressway (go figure) first can help. Nothing like the over water roads though.

kipate likes this.
  6. ronrn

ronrn Governor

kipate likes this.
  7. ronrn

ronrn Governor

Almost forgot:
    RAM (road-addon-mod) makes all roads placable over water, though placing them can be tricky at times.

I've found no apparent issues with this mod in XXL either. Just be sure to follow install instructions. And..for some reason I don't understand..it seems to work best when the patch files are placed in a sub-folder along with the RHM2 patch file.:confused:

Transportation - Road Addon Mod (RAM) | XLNation - Cities XXL

8. SOUL Productions

SOUL Productions updated Seddly Done with a new update entry:

Seddly Done, the cultural metropolis

Read the rest of this update entry...